Please advise me on what bike to buy.

jschaf

I can add some input into the ktm1290r.  I have had mine now for a year.   Love it over all.  However something's not to love.  Dealer support sucks really bad.   Columbus area only have wheels Motorsports and well the hours that they are open the over all help they offer are all much to be desired.  Also upgraded the exhaust and ktm has told all dealers not to remap the motorcycles anymore.  They had a built in map to keep the bikes from running lean.  You can not access this anymore.   

Also as in running this bike at high speeds just go and get the bigger steering stabilizer now.  The superduke gets really shitty over 120 and you will feel a different type of beast coming out of it. More like a wild animal trying to throw you off it's back.   

Price on them.  I got an unsold 2015 in 2016 for 13,500.  With tax and title your a little over 14,000.   I would do it over again million times over.  Really am hopeful that iron pony of Columbus becomes a ktm dealer that would help a lot.   

• 9 months later...
39 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Oh yea, Pony Powersports sucks.  They didn't even call me back.

As someone who works at a dealership, this is a big no-no in the business. Customers deserve a phone call back asap. We try to keep a less than 12 hours on inquiries. 

I've never had a salesperson approach me at Pony. Not that I want to talk to one, but... kinda weird at a dealership, especially if I'm going around sitting on a bunch of different bikes and playing with knobs and adjustments on things...

I look forward to seeing your new royal steed soon, Jim. 

11 hours ago, jschaf said:

Just got my groove back. Picked up a 2018 Super Duke Saturday.  It's damn nice so far.  Cant wait to get it out of break-in.  Will be putting the '13 Ninja 1000 up for sale shortly.  Oh yea, Pony Powersports sucks.  They didn't even call me back.  Holeshot KTM in Akron; I went down there, cash in hand, the Saturday before memorial day & they were closed even though their website said they would be open.  I ended up going to Barnes Brothers, south of Pittsburg.  

Barnes Bros is the place to be!

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

? I wouldn't hold my breath.

You actually think I expected a response? I'm sure their Sponsor payment auto-debts every year but it's small enough they don't notice. They occasionally remember they have a login here and then give us some dumb, generic, "I coulda read the newspaper and saw this information" ad.

• 4 weeks later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 7:55 AM, Limitedslip7 said:

Let us know your thoughts on it when you get it broken in. I've had a Speed Triple for the last five years or so but have been lusting after a 1290 since they first released that teaser trailer...

Out of break-in a few days now. I really think I'm going to get along real well with this bike. Keep in mind that to this point I've only owned I4s. My wife owned a Ducati Monster 696 & that was what got me interested in  twins. This is my first bike with ABS & Traction Control as well.  I had the performance & track packs (software) installed when I took the bike for break-in service (oil change lol) the other day. Still getting my head around this shit but it really amazes me what the bike is capable of. The wave-o-torque engine stirs my soul.  Handling wise the bike seems light & is more "flickable" than the CBR1000RR I had. Suspension seems to work at least as well as the Ohlins that I had on the CBR.  Still have yet to adjust the suspension to my personal  preferences  but I can't really complain about the generic settings at this time. I was starting to get bored with riding & this bike seems to have done the trick.  Looking forward to a Sunday ride with some bubbys. on proper roads.  Will report back.

• Upvote 1

Jim, Nice report on your new ride. Yes the Torque of a tuned V-Twin can be intoxicating or at least a enjoyable difference. I left a long history of I4 in 2004 and now after picking up the Z1K in 2014 I still prefer the soul and torque of the twin. I am happy to have both. Look fwd to a ride with you again. WV is calling.🙂  Looks like we might get a break from the heat soon.