Please advise me on what bike to buy.

jschaf

Thanks but no thanks. What my aim is is to replace my 08 CBR1000RR with a new bike that has similar performance capabilities but has ergos that better suit my soon to be 59 year old body. Also I'm looking for a change from the monotony of Japanese I4s as well.

7 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Thanks but no thanks. What my aim is is to replace my 08 CBR1000RR with a new bike that has similar performance capabilities but has ergos that better suit my soon to be 59 year old body. Also I'm looking for a change from the monotony of Japanese I4s as well.

That explains the dilemma. So, a powerful twin or triple with handlebars? But it could be Japanese still? What about something custom?

Maybe totally jump ship and get an electric! An electric H-D even! (Running away, fearing for my life!)

Edited by hiro

27 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

ktm super duke it is :) 

It does seem to meet all the requirements.  Sounds like something I'd be afraid to have in gear, so, perfect! And now the orange helmet comes into play? haha

Edited by hiro

One thing though. Would the riding position of the Super Duke work on a track? It seems slightly more relaxed than a Ninja 650 even. (Looking at a 2014 Super Duke on cycle-ergo.) I've been considering getting different handlebars for the Ninja 650 because it's a little too upright for me in turns or anytime I tuck a little.

7 minutes ago, hiro said:

One thing though. Would the riding position of the Super Duke work on a track? It seems slightly more relaxed than a Ninja 650 even. (Looking at a 2014 Super Duke on cycle-ergo.) I've been considering getting different handlebars for the Ninja 650 because it's a little too upright for me in turns or anytime I tuck a little.

You mean because you can't get low enough with standard bars and an upright riding position?

supermoto.jpeg.239342f40921e637249d14d1acd3873c.jpeg

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Bubba said:

You mean because you can't get low enough with standard bars and an upright riding position?

Yeah, I don't even know. heh Here's a stock vs modded Super Duke review. They didn't change anything about the riding position.  http://www.visordown.com/features/road-tests/first-rides/track-review-ktm-1290-super-duke-r

62361.jpg

Edited by hiro

3 hours ago, hiro said:

Simply a lot more of them to be stolen easily, as they are outdoors getting ridden, the euro brands are either in showroom or back at the repair shop. Harley's are safe in heated garage or enclosed trailers. 

11 hours ago, hiro said:

It worked well enough on the Pikes Peak hill climb record.

Edited by CBBaron

35 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Yes indeed.  Any words of wisdom on the subject?

Lots of information to be had on superduke.net.  The performance of the 1290 is even better than my 990R which should really put a smile on your face.  

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Simply a lot more of them to be stolen easily, as they are outdoors getting ridden, the euro brands are either in showroom or back at the repair shop. Harley's are safe in heated garage or enclosed trailers. 

Ah, right. I don't think they covered the percentage of each brand being stolen. Triumph isn't on their short list.

Experiencing availability problems.  Probably stick with the "local" dealer but they tell me that the 2017s have already came and went but they have a 2015 & 2016.  I want the latest upgrades, including the "track pack" so I may have to wait til 2018.  Damn.

1 hour ago, jschaf said:

Experiencing availability problems.  Probably stick with the "local" dealer but they tell me that the 2017s have already came and went but they have a 2015 & 2016.  I want the latest upgrades, including the "track pack" so I may have to wait til 2018.  Damn.

My local dealer has a leftover 2015.

http://www.hometownhonda.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=3215986&p=2&make=ktm&s=Year&d=D&vt=motorcycle %2F scooter&fr=xAllInventory

Edit: nevermind, I just reread your comment. No 2017s...

Edited by JustinNck1

1 hour ago, jschaf said:

Worth it, Good call going full bang and not half heartedly and ending up with cheaper left over. The electronic support / better fully adjustable front end / and lower and wider bars might just be the key to trach stardom. From the reviews the engine has been better tamed but with more powaaaaaa 

Edited by NinjaDoc

• 3 weeks later...

Buy my 2005 FZ1 :D

31k, full Givi 3 bag setup, Pauly was doing the work on it until I moved down to Columbus.

I'll be putting a steering head bearing and new brake pads on it this offseason; doesn't need anything other than a hard wash.

• Downvote 1