Please advise me on what bike to buy.

jschaf

14 hours ago, jschaf said:

I've decided to let the CBR go & am looking at getting another bike.  Since people on here find it appropriate to survey what color helmet they should buy I find it appropriate to ask the masses:  What bike should I buy?  Be advised, I may not take your advice. Bikes must be trackable & capable of demon releasing 500 mile street rides. Let's hear what you've got to say.

13 hours ago, jschaf said:

Looking for a new bike.  Budget is $20K tops.  Looking for something with 150+ rwhp & electronics.

You are describing the 1290, Tuono, or S1000R (not RR).  The riding experience on all 3 would be fantastic, but the ownenership/dealership experience on the KTM or Ape might not be so great.  I'd give the BMW the nod for that reason.

If it was me & was looking to  buy a brand new bike for "demon releasing 500 mile street rides,"  I'd be taking a long hard look at the FZ10 or Ducati Supersport S 

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

Brand new bike for "demon releasing 500 mile street rides,"  Jim is not that young anymore.:lol: 

It better come with a family size tube of Preparation H "with mint cooling gel" and can of Icy Hot Pain Relieving Balm. There comes a time.:confused:

Edited by B-Mac

1 hour ago, durk said:

Jim I was not going to say anything but since 2 people have now mentioned it. I rode with a guy on a 2015 S1000RR at Mid O and it was a sweet looking bike. He had nothing but praise for the bike. 

But I thought all BMWs suck!???? :dunno:

@jschaf good thing you have the set criteria which makes the search so much easier 

the choices you have is very minimal as mentioned above / But i also have a feeling your the kind of person who loves to get something/ live with it/ learn with it/ and likes to keep it for longer time. This brings in the important criteria of reliability into question. statistics or just stereotype/ when it comes to euro bikes you are always at risk to get one of the crappy set. 

S1kR: good smooth engine/ tested power plant/ reliable among the euros / good upright riding/ 

but minimal wind protection / bother some vibration from handle bars / the rake trail changes they did to lengthen the wheel base some how makes it handle funny. I cannot describe it well, but overall the few motorcycles i walked away just because it didnt feel right. 

big ktms: just about the only reason you should be going for it is for pure brute soul stirring feel. The bike has less rider friendly dynamics as in the power plant is too much for the chassis. GT seems better  But the ergo was just so perfect, esp the GT. man that is one sweet bike for sure. If you take the chance on this one the risk vs benefit might just pay off. Bags, adjustable screen, single side swing arm, larger gas tank, lot of subtle hidden benefits on top of the usual bag of electronics which i think also has cornering ABS the top of the shelf. And a rider with your caliber will be able to tame the beast real easy 

Tuono: i think the most aggressive rider friendly bike among the euros, will be the best out the box suited for track days as well. the engine note itself will be eargasm and added boost to the riding. But despite all this the aggressive ride / the amount of scary stuff about reliability i personally read about makes me wonder if its actually worth the risk. This one you prolly be safe to stay away from 

Ducatis/ supersport might be better option overall / less info as i havent "insomnia" ed on them yet. Monster 1200 was a good choice for my style except some quirks but i dont think u want this for your style of riding 

and this brings us to the most logical choice / FZ10 : full fills all your criteria / vast dealer network/ better reliability / comfortable/ good enough wind protection/ CP engine is one of the sweetest I4 engine ever / subtle advantages like cruise control / good basic electronic package missing the inertia blah blah thingy,/ can support bags in long run/ 190 rear tire /  easier bike for you to get right into and comfortable with since I4 like your current ride and similar engine character with better ergos and then the negatives are few so far - some issues with engine tick sound / short mileage for a "tourable" bike 

some other random choices are there, i wont describe it here since i want that market to remain cheap for me next year lol :D 

So to make it short if your going with you brain decision > Fz10 best bang for buck and safe investment / if ergos fit you and bike speaks to you its a good buy. 

if you make with your soul : superduke GT: lot of bang for lot of buck: / but if you luck out on getting a reliable unit and keep the bike a long time you get your money worth it. Remember all high end euro bikes are going to take a bigger hit on resale value. Most bikes in the 10K + region you will be hard pressed to find local buyers to buy it outright with cash and will have to eventually trade it in > this means more financial loss. 

But i guess life is short > you only indulge rarely / go for it and enjoy which ever bike you buy. 

personally i want you to get the grom so we can ride "together" more often. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

3 minutes ago, hiro said:

OK, I finally learned this! Final answer: Choose your own GD bike! Yeah? ^_^

Maybe we should post some links to some Craigslist ads!! :banana:

Edited by Tonik

19 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Maybe we should post some links to some Craigslist ads!! :banana:

Another thing I need to learn about: Sales. If someone has $20k and wants a new bike, sell a new bike! Better yet, up-sell!

57 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Thanks for the input gents.  I'll probably just go with the KTM Super Duke R anyhow.  They've made some substantial improvements this year & I've had a hankering for one since they 1st came out.

That's about as demon hooligan as you get! Good stuff!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jschaf said:

Thanks for the input gents.  I'll probably just go with the KTM Super Duke R anyhow.  They've made some substantial improvements this year & I've had a hankering for one since they 1st came out.

Are you keeping the Ninja?

I'll chase that 1290 with my 500.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

I will say... going fast on a naked sucks.  The wind just beats you to death.

This, I may not have tires on order. But I sure as hell got a taller shield on order.

4 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

I will say... going fast on a naked sucks.  The wind just beats you to death.  Especially after 500 miles.  I'd rather go 500 miles on a superbike than a naked.  Just my opinion. 

I did 1300 miles on my Monster averaging about 80 mph... when it got too windy, I just tucked, problem solved.  I'd do it again, no hesitation.  I wouldn't want to do anything like that on a supersport, ever.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

I did 1300 miles on my Monster averaging about 80 mph... when it got too windy, I just tucked, problem solved.  I'd do it again, no hesitation.  I wouldn't want to do anything like that on a supersport, ever.

I said fast...  :lol: 

• Upvote 1