Shoei probably won't be getting any more of my money...

2talltim

I've had a issue with my Neotec helmet for a little while now and I wanted to address it with Shoei and see what they would do to handle it. When I get into rain, water will leak between my visor and top of the helmet and run down or even splatter on the inside of the helmet and my perscription glasses underneath resulting in me not being able to see very well. When it does this and I have my pin lock in it makes it even worse and water gets around or even under the pin lock and I really can't see till I take the pin lock out. That happened last fall to me and as you all know if you don't have a place to store a pin lock on the road, it's getting scratched and ruined. So I call Shoei customer support today and the guy I talked to was a complete ass. Not just in what he said but by the way he handled the whole call and they way he talked to me. I was polite and courteous and explained everything to him and that I keep my helmet cleaned and well maintained and that I feel something is wrong. Here is what I got in response... "They aren't waterproof, water is going to get in. It's a three piece design and there is no way to keep water out. In a driving rain water will get through"  So i shared with him that my last lid was a Nolan N90 and I had zero water or leaking problems with it. His response to that was..."You can send it to us(at you cost) and we can look at it but I doubt there is anything wrong with it, it's just the way they are"..So I note the price they are charging for these and marketing them to touring riders that ride in all kinds of conditions they should do a better job tham mine is doing and he only adds... "Maybe when you know it's going to rain push in on your visor and be sure it's sealed and closed all the way. And maybe store it with the visor open so the seal isn't getting distorted from sitting" 

Like I said it wasn't even so much I didnt get the answer i was looking for it was just this guy came off like a total pompas ass. Just burnt me the wrong way so next lid replacement, I think I'll just look past the Shoei rack. 

Edited by 2talltim

That sucks.  Two helmets ago, I had a Shoei and loved it.  It was definitely water-tight, as I rode in the rain often and never had an issue with it.  I ended up replacing it with an Arai, which wasn't as good in the rain.  As of this year, I'm back in a Shoei, but work hasn't allowed me to ride much, rain or otherwise.   Now you have me a bit worried.

1 minute ago, motocat12 said:

can you warm up the gasket then close it and see if it resets and seals?

The gasket or seal to me appears to be in good condition and as it should be. I just don't think the visor sits tight enough on it to seal properly. The Neotec has a spring loaded design that when you close the visor 2 little springs are to push the visor against the seal. And I do not think it's tight enough. 

5 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

That mechanism is adjustable, you can set it up to pull tighter against the front seal.  Run a quick Google search.

Not on the neotec, I already searched that. Other models it is the neotec is different. 

Make sure you have the shield properly seated when reinstalling. I have accidentally installed without one of the notches inserted far enough and it will hold the shield away from the seal. My Neotec has been great in the rain.

20 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Not on the neotec, I already searched that. Other models it is the neotec is different. 

It's a bummer it's not as easy as it is on the other models but it might still be possible.  You loosen the Torx screws that secure the entire chinbar to the main helmet shell and there is a small amount of adjustment in that joint.  They tell you to lock the chinbar in place (closed, normal riding position) and then while tightening the screws you must push the entire chinbar into the helmet to close up the gaps.  Put the shield back on and see what you got, it specifically tells you to make this adjustment until you get the visor to seal properly across the top of the lens.  Not exactly straight forward but it might be able to take up some slack and get you sealed again.  It's pages 14-15 in the Neotec manual under Face cover removal/install.

"After replacing the face cover, close the shield / visor and check that the top of the shield / visor and the window beading fit tightly. If there is a gap here, it may cause air turbulence or wind noise. If this happens, remove the face cover and reattach it so that the shield / visor top and window beading fit snugly."

5 minutes ago, vf1000ride said:

It's a bummer it's not as easy as it is on the other models but it might still be possible.  You loosen the Torx screws that secure the entire chinbar to the main helmet shell and there is a small amount of adjustment in that joint.  They tell you to lock the chinbar in place (closed, normal riding position) and then while tightening the screws you must push the entire chinbar into the helmet to close up the gaps.  Put the shield back on and see what you got, it specifically tells you to make this adjustment until you get the visor to seal properly across the top of the lens.  Not exactly straight forward but it might be able to take up some slack and get you sealed again.  It's pages 14-15 in the Neotec manual under Face cover removal/install.

"After replacing the face cover, close the shield / visor and check that the top of the shield / visor and the window beading fit tightly. If there is a gap here, it may cause air turbulence or wind noise. If this happens, remove the face cover and reattach it so that the shield / visor top and window beading fit snugly."

I've had it apart once today but didn't notice any movement but I'll give it another go.

I've used my Neotec in the rain several times, even very heavy rain and it never leaked a drop so the guy you talked to was full of shit or giving you the run around which is a shame. Seems to be SOP for most companies anymore. They have the "we got your money now fuck off" attitude.

2 minutes ago, ScubaCinci said:

I've used my Neotec in the rain several times, even very heavy rain and it never leaked a drop so the guy you talked to was full of shit or giving you the run around which is a shame. Seems to be SOP for most companies anymore. They have the "we got your money now fuck off" attitude.

Justin said his leaks too

I have a silver and white one and neither have leaked on me. That said, I try to avoid riding in the rain so I don't do a lot of it but have definitely been in heavy rain in both and not had leaks. That's a bummer man. For the price of these, they shouldn't leak and if they aren't designed to not leak, it should be disclosed up front "not designed to be used in the rain" or some such shit.

Both of mine have been fine, and I got my second one same time you did....from the same place. I know that info is of no help, but keep pushing them. It aint right.

You can always sue them in small claims court for violating the warranty law. That is always worth a laugh. 

6 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Both of mine have been fine, and I got my second one same time you did....from the same place. I know that info is of no help, but keep pushing them. It aint right.

You can always sue them in small claims court for violating the warranty law. That is always worth a laugh. 

Well he said send it in and they would look at it, just the attitude I got rubbed me wrong. 5 year warranty I might send it in this winter. 

11 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Well, in his defense he had some dude on the phone that was complaining about getting wet in the rain while on a motorcycle. :lol: 

There was some times i wish we had the doom of hate this last trip...

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Karma is a bitch.

He's drinking Paul's anti freeze, we got wet once and it was a 15 min storm and we were dry by the time we stopped again. 

Edited by 2talltim

2 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

He's drinking Paul's anti freeze, we got wet once and it was a 15 min storm and we were dry by the time we stopped again. 

Then why are you giving the poor dude at Shoei such a hard time?