Tonik needs sporty tires!!

Tonik

9 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

Do all front tires feel bonkers when they wear out? You'd think the front suspension went haywire, until replacing the front tire. I only use Dunlops, so was wondering if it's just Dunlop or is it all brands of front tires. No clue here. (Not counting cheap original stock front tires.)

Not in my experience.  New tires certainly handle better than old tires, but if they are wearing evenly they should still handle reasonably well.

23 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

Do all front tires feel bonkers when they wear out? You'd think the front suspension went haywire, until replacing the front tire. I only use Dunlops, so was wondering if it's just Dunlop or is it all brands of front tires. No clue here. (Not counting cheap original stock front tires.)

This might be very personal exp but to me new tires sort of made the suspension feel more supple as in you got better valving and stuff all of a sudden. As they starts to wear out the suspension feels like what it's components would do. 

24 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Even though I've not had good experiences with Dunlop tires, I'm intrigued by the new Road Smart 3.  I may give them a try next.

As an avid Angel GT user, I just went through a set of Roadsmart 3s. I think you will like them. They held their shape the entire life of the tire and stuck just as good as an Angel GT. It was a more aggressive tip in compared to a T30. At 5k miles, the Roadsmart wasn't quite to the wear bars. I had to switch them cause I didn't want to run out of tread on my trip. I bet I could get more than 6k out of a set.

For Mileage reference

PR4GT (I've ran 1 Set. Fall Gap Trip) Front: 4000 Rear: 7400

T30 EVO GT (On my 2nd Set. WV Trip, New England Trip) Front: 3500 Rear: 3500

Angel GT (Ran 6 or 7 sets on my BMW and FJR) Front:4500 Rear: 4000

RoadSmart 3s (One Set, Ozark Trip)Front: 5000 Rear: 5000

Of course there will always be too many variables. (Road type, Road Temp, Tire Pressure. Bike, Riding Aggressiveness, Riding Style, Bike Load, Suspension Setup, Heat Cycle Count.) The variables are just way too vast to really compare apples to apples. 

20 minutes ago, Tonik said:

So would the Rossi's be more in the sport touring range?

Rosso /  on a spectrum would mark like this >  Track tire <--------- X ---------------> Touring tire 

lot of reviews about center wearing out fast but very good grip for occasional track days 

S20 had little bit more to give but pretty much the same deal as rosso 

the other sport touring tires mentioned here would lie more towards the touring aspect that track 

to make things simpler on you, you choose the cheapest you can get for the fz6 as of now which as far as i see are two options for you, get rosso from mike since he is the only good guy in forum. Or get the s20 close out which looks like 30 bucks cheaper but a 2014 make. 

you have bucket list of track day planned, i say just go ahead with either of the above. And next set you can do more Rehirosearch and contemplatyoshing  

Edited by NinjaDoc
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

to make things simpler on you, you choose the cheapest you can get for the fz6 as of now which as far as i see are two options for you, get rosso from mike since he is the only good guy in forum. Or get the s20 close out which looks like 30 bucks cheaper but a 2014 make. 

That is exactly what prompted my question. Just needed to make sure Roossios were not a pure sport tire. 20 bucks extra for a newer tire while supporting MIKE is a no brainer.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

The real issue is how are you going to carry a few boxes of donuts on the new ride. I want to see your top case off the cruiser on the FZ.:D

Already been googling options for that.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Tonik said:

That is exactly what prompted my question. Just needed to make sure Roossios were not a pure sport tire. 20 bucks extra for a newer tire while supporting MIKE is a no brainer.

Rosso II it is then :D , 

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

when did you sleep last night? i have a strong feeling you be on this bike for next gap trip 

why am i this excited for you buying bike, why am i googling for aftermarket in ebay for fz6 , i guess this is who i am lol ... cant wait to see you on a sports bike. 

why i am in posting every where, why i am i giving opinion on every thing, why am i becoming more asshatty, i guess this is who i am when i dont get to ride. and i hate it, time to go on a forum sabbatical / will wait till your "guess" my new bike thread and its modding phase is done :D 

side soft % is what tipped me to roadsmarts

RII

In the CENTRAL AREA (75% of total surface)
the high silica content compound, blended with a reactive polymer provides a BALANCED performance to offer Wet Grip, Stability and Mileage

In the SHOULDER AREA (25% of surface)
the fine carbon-black and resins compound provides the SPORT performance for Dry Grip at high lean angles

pirelli-diablo-rosso-ii_19.jpg

122-1204-01-o+dunlop-roadsmart-tires-cen

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

FTFY   - I believe the Rosso II's are their sport touring tire and the Rosso III's are their full sport tire. 

Nope... the 3 is just the newer version of the 2. Ok tires for the money, but S20/21 are same price and better tire in all respects.

1 minute ago, whaler said:

Nope... the 3 is just the newer version of the 2. Ok tires for the money, but S20/21 are same price and better tire in all respects.

God damn it, now I am back to being all Hiro and shit.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, whaler said:

S20s have risen in price.  Dennis Kirk has them for 245.00 for the set compared to RD selling the Rosso II's for 199.00.  

49 minutes ago, Tonik said:

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/sw-motech-bags-connection-blaze-sport-saddlebag-system-yamaha-fz6-s2-07-11

The new Dunlop Q3 Plus is my recommendation if you don't care about mileage.  THe new for this year "plus" extends the mileage life.

Being this bike is going to be a completely different feel to you Jim, there's really no bad choices outside of Shinko and ContiMo's.  I've seen guys run good pace at trackdays on Angel ST/GT, and I'd done my first trackday on my ZX14 using Dunlop Roadsmart 2's.   You'll be fine with most all options listed, just pick one and go with it.   You've got some adjustment time with the bike anyway, and most all of the tires recommended will be confident inspiring enough while you adapt.

I pick the Pirelli Angel GT's over the Roadsmart 2's.....but haven't tried the new RS3's yet to know if they're any better.  Let @RidersDiscount hook you up for now, then once you're more savvy on the FZ....tire swap for something more befitting your style next year?

3 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

You order as many tires as you want, and I'll install them for free, just so we can stop having a damn tire thread. :lol:

We've already offered this lol.  He just texted me and said "If I don't buy the super sticky tires, how am I going to pass you on the inside of a blind corner?   :lol: 

• Upvote 1

Just now, JustinNck1 said:

The real question is where you going riding with it this weekend @Tonik?

Depends what the current tires look like. Fluids will be changed as soon as I get it home. Got all that stuff yesterday.

• Upvote 1