Tonik needs sporty tires!!

Tonik

22 hours ago, motocat12 said:

m7 rr?

Not a big fan. Went through 2 rears and a front. Handled well on dry pavement new and worn but were pretty sketchy on wet pavement and wore out real fast. Rears lasted about 3000 and the front about 5000 on a 30hp 320# DRZ. The OEM supersoft Dunlop SM tire lasted as long.

Basically it was an OK sport tire that did not live up to its promises on wet weather handling and long life. Pilot Power 2CT was better for both. 

Ofcourse a 140 width tire on the DRZ is not the same as 180 on an FZ so that doesnt really help Tonic.

59 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

Get em all and a tire changer, Tonik shootout

I'll record the video.

It'll be tonik on his bike showing his HATE for every god damn tire he puts on that stupid japanese rocket ship without cruiser pegs. 

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

The real question is where you going riding with it this weekend @Tonik?

1 hour ago, Tonik said:

Depends what the current tires look like. Fluids will be changed as soon as I get it home. Got all that stuff yesterday.

Doesn't matter, I'm betting we won't be invited anyway. :nono:

• Upvote 4

Q3s can be had for like $240/set, so if you're looking for a good deal the Rosso's probably aren't a bad choice. As a streetable track tire though, you'd be hard pressed to find better than the Q3's for the price IMO.

That said, I had Rosso II's on my SV and never had any complaints. I'm curious how they would perform oranges to oranges against Pilot Power 3s considering they are both in about the same wheelhouse mileage-wise. The problem I'm having with the Pilot Powers on the track is with the transition between the 2 compounds. I notice a little bit of wander when I hit the compound seam. At full lean they are grippy enough for me to get on the throttle pretty hard and not feel any squirm, it's just that damn seam. I've never had any issues with them on the street though.  

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, CBBaron said:

Basically it was an OK sport tire that did not live up to its promises on wet weather handling and long life.

Referring to the M7 RR's... Cr*p. I was counting on the promise of wet weather handling. The main reason I wanted to replace my original 5-year-old Road Smart II's. Plus maybe a sportier profile. Then again, I have yet to ride that hard anyway.

Edited by hiro

6 hours ago, Casper said:

So the really important question that everyone seems to have overlooked....... what oil should he use?

I don't oil my tires. Tried it... that didn't work out too well. Was nice and shiny though.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Tonik said:

Anyone got a copy of @jschaf 's tire pressure spreadsheet.  Gonna need that too.

I've got a copy but It'll cost ya, lol.  On my Ninja, using Angel GTs I usually set my rear tire at 37 cold & the front at 33, then I'm, good to go.

I've been running Pilot power 3 on the f4i can't really complain I drive like a grandma though if you  want them  to  get sticky you got a push it like you stole your bike for 15 minutes The Harder you ride the stickier they get least it does on my banana 15 minutes of Shitty St., Roads The  shittier the road the more they get scrubbed and rib for pleasure tops Iv got out of them is 3800 miles that's with Riding 250 miles on the white ropes below is a picture of what they look like after you ride them hard for 15 minutes 

image.jpeg

Edited by marlboro man

4 minutes ago, Tonik said:

All these choices and conflicting advice.  Not an easy decision.

If I had that bike I'd go with a true ST tire. Hell I'd put a ST tire on any bike. T30, Angle GT, PR4, RS3 you can't go wrong with any of them. Then I'd look at price and T30 would stand out. 

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 1

Jim, how often will you be at the track? I would leave well enough alone and let everyone else convince you to go with sport touring tires if you hadn't mentioned wanting the bike to be your track hoe. 

If the answer is once a year or so, sport touring is fine. If the answer is once a month or more, I would not recommend ST tires. You will find their limit on the track if you aren't riding a grandma's pace. 

Worst case you buy a set of track wheels and have some sticky rubber on those for track days and some good mileage sport touring tires as your mainstay. I can't imagine eBay rims are too expensive for the fz6. 

11 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

See, this is how it is done.  Solve the problem and answer the question with no debate.  Now if we could all just settle on a brand/make of tire we could wrap this thread up.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 1

$60 rebate makes roadsmart 3's a no brainer in my opinion. Tread life seems very good. I'd say most my riding in a medium ish OR pace and I have never been without adequate grip.