Tonik needs sporty tires!!

Tonik

You can't go wrong with a sport touring tire. They stick just fine and have better wet weather characteristics than a supersport tire. Of course opinions are like assholes. Each tire has it's advantages and disadvantages.

• Upvote 4

Think we're comparing apple to onions here. Yea I'll chew up a t30 in 3000 but I'm rolling at 1000lbs toured out. You'll get much more out that feather weight bike but I can't say how much better. But I will say they stick like glue are great in wet wear even and are inexpensive

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

Sport Touring on my Z1K .

I did the Metzeler Roadtec Z8 Interact tires,  nice but did not last long.

Now I am enjoying the Angel GT's , Extremely happy but I am old and my riding style could be considered very slow and lethargic.:banana:

B.

6 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

It makes 95 hp. Just pick the best deal that isn't a ContiMotion. 

absolutely what i was gonna say / any tire from the recent years are good enough for the right deal as long as they are not shinko :D 

i really wish to see 17 pages of discussion and still no tires bought  :D that will be epic 

Edited by NinjaDoc

Depends on how fast you plan on riding your new bike in the corners.  Fast, get Pirelli Angel GTs.  Faster, get Dunlop Q3s, Fastest, get the Pirelli Supercorsa's that Mike mentioned.

Oh, & Congrats on the new ride.  It'll be a little different I imagine.  Hope to get a chance to ride with you this summer.

Edited by jschaf
  • Upvote 1

Required Speed for tire Suggestions.

I want to suggest we adopt a format for Tire proposals:

(I'm using a modified @DerekClouser off idle Throttle Video)

All tire suggestions should say a couple things, average weight of motorcycle, estimated duration of tread life, maximum lean angle, and reviewers normal riding speed, road conditions and Lat & Long for gobal warming  effect.

:D

6 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

Required Speed for tire Suggestions.

I want to suggest we adopt a format for Tire proposals:

(I'm using a modified @DerekClouser off idle Throttle Video)

All tire suggestions should say a couple things, average weight of motorcycle, estimated duration of tread life, maximum lean angle, and reviewers normal riding speed, road conditions and Lat & Long for gobal warming  effect.

:D

All the variables are variable. Depends on the intended riders wants & needs.

Q3. Most confidence inspiring tire I've run. 

I don't like the Pilot Power 3's on the track. Have had a couple "moments" with them. Never had anything but crazy grip with the Q3's. 

Pilot power 3's are good on the street but are more expensive than the Q3. Might have slightly more traction than the old Q3 in the wet. Q3+ should be on par with PP3 in the wet.

***If you plan on tracking a couple times per year, don't run sport touring tires. 

So Q3 or Q3+ 

Edited by what

I have used multiple sets of Bridgestone BT023's on my FZ1, fantastic tires all the way around.  Bridgestone replaced the BT023 with the T30 which is an excellent upgrade and your going to get more mileage out of them.  @whaler is on his second or third set now.   I run a michelan Pilot Power in the front and a Pilot Road 2 in the back, a great combo IMO, but will most likely go to the T30 due to the mileage peps are getting out of them.

Edited by Wolfman1

3 hours ago, Danimal said:

LOVE this kind of shit

How many SETS of T30s have you worn to threads young man?

Hell, do you even ride enough to wear a set down fer Chrissake?

I should pull up pictures of multiple sets of PR4s I tore through and show you what crappy wear looks like. Feathered worse than a fucking bird. And feel?

AWESOME when new

SHIT when 70% or more gone.

My opinion's based upon spending a LOT of $$ and time wearing down sets of tires. ALL of them (except Metzlers, no real experience with their ST tires I'll admit) I have ridden, and ALL of them I did NOT form opinions on until I had destroyed multiple sets. Always watched pressure.

I love them. Stop hatin' hater. 

2 hours ago, Casper said:

I love them. Stop hatin' hater. 

Haters gonna hate. I had some feathering on my PR4s, but then I adjusted my Ohlins. And I've never had a problem with them searching or wandering, or even grip problems on my FZ09.

• Upvote 1

I had PR4 on my zx14 when stabbing down and riding in seo from Michigan. Absolutely loved it, had the suspension set up just perfect for me with stock set up itself. Bike had motherload of tourqe and heavy as well, still the profile held, great grip, no flattening. 

They handled the downpour the Dragon had on the 5th. And that front tire has 12k on it in that pic, rear has 500 miles with only the ride down on it. The FZ gets very light in the front loaded up like this. Still no problems with grip.

thumb_1499296354DAVE0350.jpg

Edited by mango_sv
  • Upvote 1

Go with the Rosso II's from RD.  They are on special for 199 shipped... you can't really beat that price.  S20's are great, Angel GTs are great, T30s are great, they are all great.  

I don't see you doing a ton of wet riding (or spirited wet riding at that) on the sport bike so I wouldn't worry about that too much.

I've ran a T30 rear and a S20 front and enjoyed that combo.   Now I'm running S20 Front/Rear but I'm losing a lot of life in the rear.  These straight roads aren't helping... neither are the burnouts.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

my striple was on stock rosso, not happy with it, some silvery lines in the middle making the design look ugly. and the number get increasing the more i ride :D

as weird as it sounds but stock tires are worse/cheaper than aftermarket ones.   I've heard a million complaints of the BT023 as a stock tire but people loved it as an aftermarket.  I think they make the stock tires with cheaper material to keep costs down.  I'm not sure it's the best marketing, but what do I know.  Just my .02

I've also never rode the Rosso II, but with tire technology now a days, I'm sure it's more than a capable tire for how we ride. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, DerekClouser said:

as weird as it sounds but stock tires are worse/cheaper than aftermarket ones.   I've heard a million complaints of the BT023 as a stock tire but people loved it as an aftermarket.  I think they make the stock tires with cheaper material to keep costs down.  I'm not sure it's the best marketing, but what do I know.  Just my .02

I've also never rode the Rosso II, but with tire technology now a days, I'm sure it's more than a capable tire for how we ride. 

That was a lame joke from me Derek :) tires are real good for the price RD selling

IMG_0666.JPG

7 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

I'm not sure it's the best marketing, but what do I know.  Just my .02

I'm sure it's poor marketing, turns off people of the brands for life. Prolly better profit though- cheaper tire but no distributer/retailer markup.

Very few, if any, riders on this board can out ride a modern ST tire on the street.  The handing/turn in won't be quite as quick as good SS rubber, but there is plenty of grip for street operating temps.

I thought PR2s and PR3s were really good.  I burned through 3 or 4 sets of each.   When the PR4 came out I switched over to Angel GTs...I'm about to mount my 6th or 7th set.  No complaints at all with the GTs.  Even though I've not had good experiences with Dunlop tires, I'm intrigued by the new Road Smart 3.  I may give them a try next.

• Upvote 1

Do all front tires feel bonkers when they wear out? You'd think the front suspension went haywire, until replacing the front tire. I only use Dunlops, so was wondering if it's just Dunlop or is it all brands of front tires. No clue here. (Not counting cheap original stock front tires.)