Tonik needs sporty tires!!

Tonik

2009 FZ6

Not worried about how long they last, this will be a blast around SEO and the track bike...no long trips.  So sticky, rain and comfort are the main concerns in that order. I mean decent wear would be good, but don't need super great wear.

Front Tire 120/70-17

Rear Tire180 /55-17

GO!!

You want Sport tires or Sport Tour tires?

The T30Evo Bridgestone stuck like glue, but wore out extremely fast for me and @2talltim. And I know he pushes tires way harder than I do. 

Hearing great things about the Dunlop RoadSmart 3. 

For sporty tires, I used to like the Pilot Powers, but not a fan of the Pilot Roads. 

2 minutes ago, thompsonian said:

You want Sport tires or Sport Tour tires?

That's a very good question sir, tyvm.  I am leaning towards sport tour but could be talked out of that.

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3778/52158/Bridgestone-Battlax-Hypersport-S20-Evo-Front-Motorcycle-Tire

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/52162/Bridgestone-Battlax-Hypersport-S20-Evo-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

Ran these on the Super Hawk. No issues. Stuck well. In fact going to order a front now. My only thing was the torque of my bike would chew the rear up in about 5k miles. Order today and they may be on your steps tomorrow. Only thing is the date of manufacture. 

1 minute ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/3778/52158/Bridgestone-Battlax-Hypersport-S20-Evo-Front-Motorcycle-Tire

https://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/750/52162/Bridgestone-Battlax-Hypersport-S20-Evo-Rear-Motorcycle-Tire

Ran these on the Super Hawk. No issues. Stuck well. In fact going to order a front now. My only thing was the torque of my bike would chew the rear up in about 5k miles. Order today and they may be on your steps tomorrow. Only thing is the date of manufacture. 

+1 i just got these for the striple, good deal with 170 to your door for a set / only few left so hurry 

rocky mountain stock pile is in Kentucky i think and some how always have stuff from them to neo in one day. But these tires are old stock come from west  coast and takes time, but u will have by monday tuesday 

seems to be made in 2014 old stock / but in good condition 

now these are sticky/ i use to run them in vfr and literally u have a feel of velcro in some corners, they literally shred, tire life is little less, but this will be great for track days as well as it warms up fast, for road use they are good since offer good wet grip.  (evos are supposed to be better than old s20 with longer lasting middle) But all in all for 170 bucks for the set / i would buy again and again. 

• Upvote 1

Michelin Pilot Road 4s. I've done everything from a cross country tour, to Breckenridge in the snow, to Pikes Peak and the Dragon in a down pour. Never let me down once, and always last 10k. And I live in the land of flat square 1 mile blocks. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Reviews I read listed the Road Smarts as slightly edging the PR4 in warm up, wet grip and tire profile. The RS was said to hsbe more of a triangle profile, where the PR4 is less aggressive with a rounder carcass shape. Mileage seemed to be on par with the PR4. 

The Pony has them on clearance right meow. Picking up a set for Izzy. $170, plus tax. 

Only review I've seen of the Road Smart being better is by Dunlops own Test rider, on their own track. Doesn't seem bias at all...

@JustinNck1 ran them on his FJR and loved them. He got good mileage out of his set. Like them better than the T30.

15 minutes ago, Danimal said:

T30's

Best bang for the buck period.

And best of all, no crazy wear patterns or change of feel, feedback or grip...right to the end of their life.

I gotta disagree on the change of feel. Mine have slowly left me feeling less confident in the front end. BUT...if you keep them nice and hot they're a beautiful thing. 

No one has suggested Pirelli Angel GTs?  Had 'em on my Zed1K and my FZ1 and absolutely loved 'em.  Sticky in both dry and wet.  Decent...maybe above average wear mileage.  Definitely go with the 55 profile on the rear!!!

• Upvote 1

On the sport/track tire side I'm really liking the new Pilot Power RS. They work much better in the wet than expected by the tread pattern and are very sticky with a nice profile. 

In my case I also like that they come in 140 and 150 widths, with a 180 width you will have the choice of any sport or sport touring tire.

With the type of mileage you put down Tonic you probably want to consider the higher mileage you should get out of a sporttour tire. The FZ wont kill tires like Tim and Justin do on their heavier bikes but I'm finding even my DRZ will eat through a sport tire in less than 5k. 

1 hour ago, Danimal said:

T30's

Best bang for the buck period.

And best of all, no crazy wear patterns or change of feel, feedback or grip...right to the end of their life.

I agree, you will not find a more neutral handling tire with great grip and good mileage.

PR4 are junk in my opinion. User reviews rate them goid, but full blind reviews rate them dead last every time.

S20/21 are great tires, but will not give you  better street grip than T30 and won't last as long. If a track day is in your future, then this would make sense. They are also a great value.

Angel GT is also a great tire with respect to grip, and although I have not uses them, have heard many complaints of very slow and lethargic turn in.

just my opinion.

Edited by whaler

I put new tires on both 919s before riding to Florida to stay. Wanted the high mileage "harder center" tires. I put Dunlop RoadSmart II on the hooligan 2002, and Michelin PR4 on the laid back 2007. Impressions so far, are that are both are about the best you can get for high performance, semi-touring, high mileage, wet weather traction. Only difference I could tell, was a bit of handling difference between the two. Noticeable at high freeway speeds, probably on grooved pavement, and mostly when road is wet. The PR4 seems to "hunt about" a little bit, whereas the RoadSmart is more stable. And it didn't happen all the time, just on certain roads. Not a big deal, and probably mostly tire tread pattern. Turn ins and twisties are about the same, but I'm so used to the Dunlop style handling, I probably don't have a good assessment of that yet. (and haven't really thrashed the 2007 to find out.)

The newer RoadSmart II front tire might be a multi compound now. It wasn't before. I think the PR4 front has always been multi.

2 minutes ago, ReconRat said:

I put new tires on both 919s before riding to Florida to stay. Wanted the high mileage "harder center" tires. I put Dunlop RoadSmart II on the hooligan 2002, and Michelin PR4 on the laid back 2007. Impressions so far, are that are both are about the best you can get for high performance, semi-touring, high mileage, wet weather traction. Only difference I could tell, was a bit of handling difference between the two. Noticeable at high freeway speeds, probably on grooved pavement, and mostly when road is wet. The PR4 seems to "hunt about" a little bit, whereas the RoadSmart is more stable. And it didn't happen all the time, just on certain roads. Not a big deal, and probably mostly tire tread pattern. Turn ins and twisties are about the same, but I'm so used to the Dunlop style handling, I probably don't have a good assessment of that yet. (and haven't really thrashed the 2007 to find out.)

The newer RoadSmart II front tire might be a multi compound now. It wasn't before. I think the PR4 front has always been multi.

That is exactly why I do not like the Michelin... they squirm at anything over a spirited pace and when you really up the pace they give zero feedback and instill no confidence.

Very interested in the Dunlop RS3, as they have tested better than the Angle GT with wet and dry grip and have a much better profile, so turn in does not suffer.

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

2009 FZ6

Not worried about how long they last, this will be a blast around SEO and the track bike...no long trips.  So sticky, rain and comfort are the main concerns in that order. I mean decent wear would be good, but don't need super great wear.

Front Tire 120/70-17

Rear Tire180 /55-17

GO!!

Absolutely anything in those sizes will be grippier than what you are used to.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Absolutely anything in those sizes will be grippier than what you are used to.

Are you saying they won't be grippier than my White Whale tires? Cuz that's all I am used to.

EDIT: Nevermind, I didn't read that very well. I get it.

Edited by Tonik