Help with sag on east side of Columbus?

Casper

This might help keep track of your changes and everything as you dial it in. I find once I have it good in the garage I always have slight adjustment to rebound or something after riding it to get it where it feels good. I usually always try to get it good with stock suspension due to being cheap, but I'm also not a racer so I have some leeway in my adjustments.

Suspension Setup Worksheet.docx

Oh and if it feels like shit right now look in the manual for stock settings and start adjustments from there.

Edited by Xsr900Rider

You can figure it out. Just YouTube setting motorcycle sag. You'll find videos from Dave Moss, Traxxion Dynamics, Racetech, etc. Traxxion Dynamics has like a 10 part video series that I found really helpful for all suspension settings.

Just now, Isaac's Papa said:

IF YOUR BIKE ISN'T SPRUNG FOR YOUR WEIGHT, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG FROM THE START. CALL MIKE AT OHLINS AND HE WILL MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT SPRINGS TO PROPERLY SET UP YOUR BIKE. 

+1 On springs. Without proper spring rate, your wasting time.

2 hours ago, Casper said:

"I have no idea what I'm doing" :D 

U are roughly around 180 right? If you are around 180lb ur lucky, u good on springs for Daytona Ohlins 

start with set up on manual itself if your weight is close to 180, u be good for starters 

IIRC Daytona lucky pound number is 180 unlike jappy which is much lower 

Edited by NinjaDoc
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

U are roughly around 180 right? If you are around 180lb ur lucky, u good on springs for Daytona Ohlins 

start with set up on manual itself if your weight is close to 180, u be good for starters 

IIRC Daytona lucky pound number is 180 unlike jappy which is much lower 

I'm in the 170-180 ballpark. 

14 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

IF YOUR BIKE ISN'T SPRUNG FOR YOUR WEIGHT, YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG FROM THE START. CALL MIKE AT OHLINS AND HE WILL MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE CORRECT SPRINGS TO PROPERLY SET UP YOUR BIKE. 

I called them earlier when you first posted but they're closed. I'll call in the morning. 

Ok, for a very rough wild ass guess, start with 1/3 the total suspension travel available for your desired ride height.  Do you even know what the total suspension travel available on your bike is?   I know nothing about your bike, so I couldn't say, but your sag should be somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the total travel for your normal ride loading.  If you're solo most of the time, then you only need to adjust for your riding weight (full gear).  If you're resourceful enough, you can measure your total suspension travel yourself.  You need to remove all weight (including the weight of the bike from the suspension.   Mark that.  Then bottom it out and mark that.  The difference is your total travel, and your desired sag will be somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of that.  Seriously, this is first grade math and a 100 level engineering class.  My FJR is set at about 42% of the fork travel and 35% of the rear shock.  I've found I like the front more toward the middle of the available travel.  Of course you know that sag is only the starting point in setting up your suspension, right?

9 minutes ago, PhilD'oh! said:

Ok, for a very rough wild ass guess, start with 1/3 the total suspension travel available for your desired ride height.  Do you even know what the total suspension travel available on your bike is?   I know nothing about your bike, so I couldn't say, but your sag should be somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 the total travel for your normal ride loading.  If you're solo most of the time, then you only need to adjust for your riding weight (full gear).  If you're resourceful enough, you can measure your total suspension travel yourself.  You need to remove all weight (including the weight of the bike from the suspension.   Mark that.  Then bottom it out and mark that.  The difference is your total travel, and your desired sag will be somewhere between 1/3 and 1/2 of that.  Seriously, this is first grade math and a 100 level engineering class.  My FJR is set at about 42% of the fork travel and 35% of the rear shock.  I've found I like the front more toward the middle of the available travel.  Of course you know that sag is only the starting point in setting up your suspension, right?

Casper, don't set it like this. 1/2 total travel is way too much sag. When I was checking sag I liked it between 30-35mm rider sag. I no longer check sag and adjust by feel now though. I live in powell and can help you out if you can't find anyone closer to you. Let me know.

Except for @thompsonian you peeps are not being helpful.  The OP clearly said he is a dumbass and can't/won't do it himself. Yet you continue to tell him how to do it himself.  I on the other hand keep pointing him to an actual solution based on the criteria he presented in the OP.

When I am more helpful than everyone else...well that's pretty F'd up.

• Upvote 1

I'm on the north edge of Gahanna if you need a hand.  Hamilton & Morse Roads near Blendon woods and the new triple roundabouts.  From what you're saying, I'm guessing my garage is better suited than yours.

• Upvote 1

Hoblick set up the suspension on my SV and the bike cornered like a dream afterwards. 

Both the duc and triumph are undersprung for me but he did his best with those too. 

You could take it into motohio... or maybe ride up to the next track day at mid-o and see if anyone will set up your suspension for you there.

:p

15 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Just called. They say stock spring should be perfect for me. 

• Upvote 1