Bike Transport Options?

hiro

Our relocation company will not transport my bike as part of the deal. How much could I expect to pay to transport from Columbus to Charlotte, NC? Or maybe consider a one-way trailer rental? (I'd need to add a hitch to a car and I've never pulled a trailer.) Or ride it out? (Definitely need a better helmet for that. Planning to get one soon.)

I did consider doing a combination of some trailering and some riding. Any problem towing an empty rental trailer at interstate speeds? Or would interstate riding on a Ninja 650 be too boring? My longest rides have probably been below 100 miles and usually avoid highways unless I'm lost.

Ride it. I did 1500miles with the Fall Gap crew on my DRZ400SM, @Scorpion-Ninja did the trip 2-up on his Ninja 650.

Every bike is boring on the freeway, as is driving. Best choice would be to plan a 2 day trip on back roads. There are some great roads between OH and Charlotte.

If you have to blast the freeway, just take your time. Take plenty of rest breaks to stretch your legs and keep alert. If you get drowsy, take a nap. And skip the heavy meals while on route. 

Edited by CBBaron
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, CBBaron said:

Ride it. I did 1500miles with the Fall Gap crew on my DRZ400SM, Scorpion-Ninja was on the trip 2-up on his Ninja 650.

Every bike is boring on the freeway, as is driving. Best choice would be to plan a 2 day trip on back roads. There are some great roads between OH and Charlotte.

If you have to blast the freeway, just take your time. Take plenty of rest breaks to stretch your legs and keep alert. If you get drowsy, take a nap. And skip the heavy meals while on route. 

A 2-day trip sounds like a decent option. My current helmet won't cut it though. It makes my forehead burn after an hour or so, plus it's way too noisy. I'd go deaf even using ear plugs. I'm about to try a Shoei RF-SR because it should fit my more oval head shape much better at least.

I found a couple places that give an instant quote. Anything around $500 is just too much, although the relo deal include $6000 for other expenses. We also have to deal with transporting cats. (I wonder how they would enjoy a plane ride!)

17 minutes ago, hiro said:

Saw this post on ebay from 2002.

Check out https://www.forwardair.com/ They have shipping hubs all over the U.S. I ship my KTM 125 dirtbike from GA to Cali for under a $100 each way. I've checked with other companies and they want over $400 to ship.

Nevermind! That one costs $575 to $840! They ship within an individual container which sounds nice.

Ride it down, will be the best and most memorable 2 days you will have on 2 wheels. Get the helmet it's worth it. :) shipping bike has lot of positives and negatives, for such short trip to a great destination , the benefits and fun of riding always outweighs. Trust the collective knowledge here, this is rare times they are not sarcastic. Go for it, ride it. Have your friend or family follow you in a car/uhaul to have the extra safety net.

Sep 2017 > carolinaRiders.c0m/forum/ techTips/what-color-eyeliner-works-well-with-tinted-shield-with-yellowpinlock-on orange-helmet-hi-viz jacket-sitting-backward-during-fall-rides? 

Edited by NinjaDoc
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

I'll trailer it for $200, plus gas and tolls.  Documentation of expenses provided.  My car gets around 30 mpg towing.

Are you heading that way or something? That might not be a bad offer. I guess I should factor in that we might not leave until October.

10 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Grab 16 near Parkersburg WV, take that all the way to Fayettville NC. After that dunno.

16 goes right into Charlotte but is no where near Fayetteville, NC, which is OK because Fayetteville is no where near Charlotte :D

Looks like 16 would be a good option for hiro. After riding a good portion with Tonic I agree it is a nice ride.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, what said:

70 east to 77 south. You're magically in Charlotte. 

Or take the time to plan a trip on nice back roads. Like everyone has already said. 

That's what I meant. What would be a "nice" route as opposed to 77 all the way? I know 77 is a mess going into Charlotte. Don't know about the rest of it.

28 minutes ago, CBBaron said:

16 goes right into Charlotte but is no where near Fayetteville, NC, which is OK because Fayetteville is no where near Charlotte :D

Looks like 16 would be a good option for hiro. After riding a good portion with Tonic I agree it is a nice ride.

I'll check into it. Is it also decent for a car, or is it just a waste of time in a car?

Lets make it easy. If you are trailering take 77. If you are riding, take 16. Or whatever other route you want. It's your trip bud, plan it yourself. Take some initiative. 

Hell, map out a route on Google and post it up and ask for opinions rather than asking someone to play travel agent for you out of the kindness of their heart.

Edited by what

8 minutes ago, what said:

Lets make it easy. If you are trailering take 77. If you are riding, take 16. Or whatever other route you want. It's your trip bud, plan it yourself. Take some initiative. 

Hell, map out a route on Google and post it up and ask for opinions rather than asking someone to play travel agent for you out of the kindness of their heart.

Right. I just thought someone might have planned a route before. It's kind of difficult to follow 16 on Google Maps. Plus, you guys probably actually took the roads you recommend.

Edited by hiro