VFR Questions

Tonyblaze

I considered one when I was looking for a new bike few years ago. Just feel a bit narrow to me. Could be because the red color. 12 was a blue and 13 was black, IIRC. Those are always better colors in my book. And people are picky like that..

I had 2 VFR800s, and was prepared to get a new VFR when it came out, until that 1200 came out.  Then I bought a R1200GS BMW.  The 1200VFR is massive, heavy, sounds awful (relatively), and the plastic is everywhere and would be hugely expensive if dropped.  Very few people I know liked them, and said they handled poorly.  I think that's the biggest reason they brought the 800 back.  I never rode one, even tho I thought they looked good.  Not sure about the 2010 compared to others.  

16 hours ago, Tonyblaze said:

Does anyone have an idea why there are so many 2010 model VFR 1200 on the market? I rarely see any year later than that for sale. I understand that was a new model year but still....  

Very few 12s or 13s were imported because there were a lot of left over 10s.  This was due to mixed reviews...mixed because it was heavier than a sportbike, and doesn't have all the creature comforts of a sport tourer.  Even the mixed reviews, said it had excellent handling and an amazing motor.

2 hours ago, Qman said:

I had 2 VFR800s, and was prepared to get a new VFR when it came out, until that 1200 came out.  Then I bought a R1200GS BMW.  The 1200VFR is massive, heavy, sounds awful (relatively), and the plastic is everywhere and would be hugely expensive if dropped.  Very few people I know liked them, and said they handled poorly.  I think that's the biggest reason they brought the 800 back.  I never rode one, even tho I thought they looked good.  Not sure about the 2010 compared to others.  

The VFR12 is easily the best handling and fastest of all the VFRs.  Yes it's heavy, but you'd never know it over 15 mph.  The weight actually gives it a ton of traction.  I can get on the throttle earlier on corner exit than on any bike I've ever ridden...and that's without traction control. 

When they came out I didn't particularly like them , but 2 miles into a demo ride I knew I'd own one someday. 

2 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

The 1200 might be the most underrated VFR ever built, eh @Tpoppa?

The biggest flaw of the 2010 VFR1200 was the MSRP of $15,999.  Add another $1,800 (gulp) if you wanted hard bags.

The closest comparison is the BMW K1200s/1300s, and the Honda is more capable with noticeably better build quality.

Edited by Tpoppa

Vfr1200 is one of the most underrated bike out there. I been looking for good deals and never got one with timing and location lined up. 

By launch lot of vfr1200 was bought by folks who were expecting something else, and then subsequent years sales were hurt by unintelligent mainstream uninformed reviews and the "mass hysteria" from riders who bad mouthed it weight to size to looks everything. Hence lot of initial models for sale and less of next years. As far as I remember the 1, 2nd gear restriction was the major quirk which was fixed with pc/bomb/exhaust etc. risers + good seats and the bike will eat miles. It was more narrow neck than my old 800 felt lighter and more powerful. Single sided swing arm and no chain. Good abs and even better braking, the finish was 5x better than euro premium brands, you have to see a well kept bike to understand how ridiculously better was the red / blue/ black colors were in person. I felt Honda threw there best game ball with this bike and it didn't click just because the premium pricing for a jap Honda + media + social rider club. All wanted a smaller faster stylish bike, but this bike is the ultimate real world riders answer to best single bike in garage concept. 

If ever things line up one day I will own one myself, before that I have another bike to experiment with which could beat this guy in my minds ocd battle category. :) 

1 minute ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I think it looks good outside of magazines and the internet. Far more appealing than the FJR. Tony said it has the best wind protection and engine heat management than any bike he's ridden. I think a test ride would put me over the edge and cause a fire sale at my place. I'm not ready for that kind of change. One bike? A Japanese one at that?!

Remember the rule, N + 1. N being the number of motorcycles you currently own.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

A lot of what's good about the VFR12 just doesn't stand out on a spec sheet.  Like Paul mentioned, the wind protection and heat management are excellent.  The build quality is off the charts, better than any other bike I've ridden.  The chassis is exceptional.  Traction is extremely good and the handling is confidence inspiring.

What Honda did wrong...the MSRP.  There's a 1st & 2nd gear throttle nanny that cuts 30-40hp, but it's easily/cheaply defeated by the after market.  The stock suspension setting suck, unless you weigh 350 lbs (pretty good for 2 up though).  Honda's suspension setting are usually quite good, but they missed badly in this case...I actually did a write up on VFRWorld a few years ago http://vfrworld.com/threads/suspension-settings-dialing-it-in.46762/

Looks...ehhh, I've never bought a bike based on looks, but you'd be surprised how many people stop me at gas stations to talk about it.

Best thing I can say about it, is I've had it for years and I have no intention of selling...and I used to change bikes more often than @NinjaDoc :lol:

_20170711_162048.JPG

Edited by Tpoppa
  • Upvote 1

Does anyone have the automatic transmission VFR1200?  Curious on feedback.  Now about that engine sound....its even worse than my GS!  Better than a HD for sure, but compared to the 800.??...WTF??

Well here's my situation: currently have a 2013 Street Triple R. Love it but the death strike for it was when the 2018's released. More power, better handling and a bit sexier. I'm definitely getting one but not until at least late next year. I currently need a bike that is comfortable for 2-up riding then I'll add the STR to the stable later. My two 16 years have developed a liking for riding with me now and the wife always has wanted to but doesn't like the pillion environment on the Triple. Bike handles like crap with her on it anyway. Have a couple of buyers lined up for it so I know its going to sell. Have been looking at VFR800's (2006-2011), VFR1200(2010), Triumph Sprint (2006-2011). Rode a few Multistradas, like the mechanicals and handling but seating position is too upright and you can't find a deal on any basically because they're so damn good. Friend dragged me into a BMW shop. Love the bike. Didn't think I could get over the look of the Boxer engines but after you stare at them long enough and understand why they are like that it grows on you. Can't find a decent deal on any right now though so they're out. FJR's seem too big. Moving down into sportier bikes appeal to me but the pillion seats suck.So I think its down to the VFR's and the Sprint. Both can be had relatively reasonably in pretty good shape. I like the size and nimbleness of the VFR800 but some reviews say that the pillion seat slides the passenger into the rider. VFR1200 is suppose to be pure comfort but it is bigger and seems to be an acquired taste. I'm thinking the Sprint splits the baby and it's a Triumph. Actually have a shop in Connecticut that's willing to take my bike for a ridiculous price and put me in a 2008 Triumph Sprint with 12,000 miles for a handshake and a lollipop. Would have to get there and back but might be worth it. Seems that Triumphs are valued significantly higher on the east coast than here locally. Right now trying to just make a logical decision based on facts instead of emotion. 

2 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

It handles fine with a passenger...but the passenger accommodations aren't as comfortable as say an FJR.  Good enough for a couple hours, but I wouldn't throw my gf on the back for a trip.

That's fine. We're not doing long haul trips. The longest they're on with me is for 3-4 hours running back roads between here and mid Ohio. This will be the "Family Time" bike and I'll get my mental health bike next year or the year following. 

9 hours ago, Tonyblaze said:

Well here's my situation: currently have a 2013 Street Triple R. Love it but the death strike for it was when the 2018's released. More power, better handling and a bit sexier. I'm definitely getting one but not until at least late next year. I currently need a bike that is comfortable for 2-up riding then I'll add the STR to the stable later. My two 16 years have developed a liking for riding with me now and the wife always has wanted to but doesn't like the pillion environment on the Triple. Bike handles like crap with her on it anyway. Have a couple of buyers lined up for it so I know its going to sell. Have been looking at VFR800's (2006-2011), VFR1200(2010), Triumph Sprint (2006-2011). Rode a few Multistradas, like the mechanicals and handling but seating position is too upright and you can't find a deal on any basically because they're so damn good. Friend dragged me into a BMW shop. Love the bike. Didn't think I could get over the look of the Boxer engines but after you stare at them long enough and understand why they are like that it grows on you. Can't find a decent deal on any right now though so they're out. FJR's seem too big. Moving down into sportier bikes appeal to me but the pillion seats suck.So I think its down to the VFR's and the Sprint. Both can be had relatively reasonably in pretty good shape. I like the size and nimbleness of the VFR800 but some reviews say that the pillion seat slides the passenger into the rider. VFR1200 is suppose to be pure comfort but it is bigger and seems to be an acquired taste. I'm thinking the Sprint splits the baby and it's a Triumph. Actually have a shop in Connecticut that's willing to take my bike for a ridiculous price and put me in a 2008 Triumph Sprint with 12,000 miles for a handshake and a lollipop. Would have to get there and back but might be worth it. Seems that Triumphs are valued significantly higher on the east coast than here locally. Right now trying to just make a logical decision based on facts instead of emotion. 

Which BMW were you looking at?  I think you'd be surprised by the GS, unless you're shorter than ~5'8".  Plenty of suspension for 2-up. No (almost) dive on braking, which is great for 2-up.  Torque is there for easy loaded-up riding.  Might not be the best comfort for pillion tho.  The other option is the RT, which is probably the lightest touring rig.

10 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

Stocker is pretty quiet.  Aftermarket sounds pretty good.

Its not the silencer that makes it sound awful, its the engine firing order/timing. 

1 hour ago, Qman said:

Which BMW were you looking at?  I think you'd be surprised by the GS, unless you're shorter than ~5'8".  Plenty of suspension for 2-up. No (almost) dive on braking, which is great for 2-up.  Torque is there for easy loaded-up riding.  Might not be the best comfort for pillion tho.  The other option is the RT, which is probably the lightest touring rig.

I was looking at the F800 RT. The rep walked me through what type of riding I do and said that I should focus on the torque capabilities of a bike and not the horsepower. She thought the F800 would give me what I wanted without breaking the bank. She just didn't realize I was working with a piggy bank, not a real bank.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Qman said:

Its not the silencer that makes it sound awful, its the engine firing order/timing. 

I've given up trying to get a musical exhaust note. My SV650 with a aftermarket can was beautiful! Just didn't have the power I wanted. Folks say I'm crazy for not liking the Street Triple's Arrow exhaust. To me it sounds marginally deeper than stock but cuts $1000 out of your pocket. 

57 minutes ago, Tonyblaze said:

I was looking at the F800 RT. The rep walked me through what type of riding I do and said that I should focus on the torque capabilities of a bike and not the horsepower. She thought the F800 would give me what I wanted without breaking the bank. She just didn't realize I was working with a piggy bank, not a real bank.

Well, the F800's don't have the boxer engine style, they are parallel-twins.  At any rate, the 1200 boxer GS and RT is what I was referring to.  If you could find a good used version, (2009+) that would be the way to go for best value.

freaking luck, we should have just traded a month ago lol :) 

i say go for VFr over sprint :) but i am biased to V4. The vf12 with Dam has to be heard in person to appreciate its note. Not as fun as twin aftermarket vf800, but still a good note. 

• Upvote 1

I hated the VFR1200 when it came out but then I got to test ride one and my tune quickly changed. Not quite enough to switch up from my perfectly modded '06 800 but enough that if I get back in to the 2 wheel game and can get one cheap it'd be at the top of my list. 

Everyone has always said the VFR's are ugly but I think those people are a horrible judge of looks :dunno:

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

The VFR is a great bike for solo rides or short rides with a passenger. Personally, I'd get an FJR if 2 up riding is a big part of the equation.

How's the VFR on cornering clearance?  Because that's one area where the FJR sucks (the reviews called it "drag queen")...  And another reason i love the GS...tons of lean angle before hard parts start to spark.

7 minutes ago, Qman said:

How's the VFR on cornering clearance?  Because that's one area where the FJR sucks (the reviews called it "drag queen")...  And another reason i love the GS...tons of lean angle before hard parts start to spark.

021715-dukes-den-race-tracks-Honda-VFR-3

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Qman said:

Because that's one area where the FJR sucks (the reviews called it "drag queen")

This is true, when they follow me they drag...which surprises the hell out of me.  Now I am grinding like a mofo of course...but them dragging too is a surprise. But they power out of the turn and blow my doors off of course.

• Upvote 1