VFR Questions

Tonyblaze

On 7/12/2017 at 2:44 PM, Qman said:

How's the VFR on cornering clearance?  Because that's one area where the FJR sucks (the reviews called it "drag queen")...  And another reason i love the GS...tons of lean angle before hard parts start to spark.

The FJR has plenty of lean angle, you just gotta know how to position your body. Hell, I had my FJR at the Gap running a decent clip, barely scraping and I caught a 600rr and the guy was touching knee. Other times, I've been through there putting on a spark show, dragging pegs and canyon cages, just cause I wasn't moving around on the seat. I'm not gonna buy an adventure bike to get more lean angle, that's for sure. 

On 7/13/2017 at 7:14 AM, Qman said:

RT shouldnt feel TOO heavy....its a full 79 pounds lighter than the FJR!!!

I've sat on a couple RTs and it does not hide it's weight well IMO.

1 hour ago, JustinNck1 said:

The FJR has plenty of lean angle, you just gotta know how to position your body. Hell, I had my FJR at the Gap running a decent clip, barely scraping and I caught a 600rr and the guy was touching knee. Other times, I've been through there putting on a spark show, dragging pegs and canyon cages, just cause I wasn't moving around on the seat. I'm not gonna buy an adventure bike to get more lean angle, that's for sure. 

I've sat on a couple RTs and it does not hide it's weight well IMO.

I imagine the newer gen FJRs are slightly better in this regard, if only due to improved rear suspension.  My 04 FJR would scrape footpegs at the thought of leaning.  

13 minutes ago, Qman said:

I imagine the newer gen FJRs are slightly better in this regard, if only due to improved rear suspension.  My 04 FJR would scrape footpegs at the thought of leaning.  

chance of foot peg scrapping goes up as the this equation gets skewed 

( counter steer + body position ) - motorcycle lean angle =  less chance of scraps and " oh crap" 

Almost all modern day sport /sport touring bikes have enough basic design to be better than us measly peasant riders riding on streets. ( no cruisers/choppers included in this classification) 

This guy is probably a constant scrapper/ not bikes fault 

counterlean.jpg

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, NinjaDoc said:

chance of foot peg scrapping goes up as the this equation gets skewed 

( counter steer + body position ) - motorcycle lean angle =  less chance of scraps and " oh crap" 

Almost all modern day sport /sport touring bikes have enough basic design to be better than us measly peasant riders riding on streets. ( no cruisers/choppers included in this classification) 

This guy is probably a constant scrapper/ not bikes fault 

counterlean.jpg

You've got video of me in (slow) twisties!   Please tell me I wasnt doing that at speed!  (Parking lots, counterweighting yes)  if so, my bikes are for sale and im done riding!

10 minutes ago, Qman said:

You've got video of me in (slow) twisties!   Please tell me I wasnt doing that at speed!  (Parking lots, counterweighting yes)  if so, my bikes are for sale and im done riding!

nah nah, you were riding real good. Very good BP and smooth.  I was not criticizing your riding at all. Just saying the FJR sort of felt like it needed more dedicated rider input than the other bikes i owned. As in more counter steering or more BP thrown out. which ever you feel comfortable and safe. It made it more fun actually. Never had scrapping, but then again i am only 150lb on 700lb bike heheh I bet some folks carry load in bags and camping gear that weighs more than me. 

Edited by NinjaDoc

in short, let me address the elephant in the room :)  this doesnt need advanced psycho analysis 

You love you BMW/ great bike. But you are doing real good and feel real comfortable on it is not because the motorcycle is perfect. But the relationship/ ergonomics/ and overall the bike just clicked for you. Every body is different and as soon as they find the right fit of a bike things just become smooth fast fun safe and pure zen zone riding each and every time you kick you feet over one. some find it early some/ dont find it early on/ some dont want to try it /some unfortunately cannot afford to try it/ and most just adapt to the bike over many miles.

No credit to our superior riding or to the advanced engineering of bike. Its just what it is. 

and its usual basic human psychology, as we are flawed in every way,  when some one gushes about how good and how much you love something, others around want to bash it. :). Esp if it even feels like or the "under current tone" is " falling into a mine vs yours"  argument ever so slightly. And in OR its "brutal honest day" every day akin to 10 year old kids. They know what the one weakness (almost always true) you have and make fun of it every day all day :)  and every one gets it and gives it here. A motorcycle based Utopian society

in short the big wall of text above is saying " bmw sucks since you have one and to me its not worth that much money i would spent to own and maintain one "  :trollface:  and then you gonna reply " BMW is absolutely awesome better bike since i love to ride it, best bike that suits me and dont mind the price to own one i love " / But these exact statements are never said but sort of "hinted" in every post and arguments we make in an appropriate topic made by totally innocent third person called " is VFR good for me" :lol:

Edited by NinjaDoc

Wow.Ninjadoc....thanks for all the input.  I think all this helps to address the op's "VFR  Questions".  Pointing out the +/- of the VFR and the FJR is intended to help answer this question.  The BMW certainly has some shortcomings, and as ive stated, the engine note is not my favorite.  And, the rattle out of the engine itself is annoying as hell.  It does nothing great, but it does all riding well.  Id much rather have a fjr on the slab, for example.  It's extremely high and a major bitch in the parking lot!  I cant even get it off the sidestand if I park on a little slope!  And again , id likely not have a bmw if there wasnt a dealer 2miles from my house.  

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Qman said:

Wow.Ninjadoc....thanks for all the input.  I think all this helps to address the op's "VFR  Questions".  Pointing out the +/- 

was just trying to smooth things out :) your good guy qman, just didnt want you to get a different antagonistic vibe from us all. Since i saw you mention in one post we hate harley and bmw  hehehe thats not true. We just hate harleys. BMW we like most times except few exceptions and reasons. 

hope to see you at next ride. you almost looked like you wanted to go faster the last time i saw you. The july 22 ride might be a good fit for your style. check it out. 

6 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

U mean working stretches of 14 to 21 day straight/ avg 90-100 hrs a week/ on call and not sleeping every 3rd night / unable to switch job or complain/ trust me- u don't want this. For sure I will not let my son grow up to be like me :D 

My ex wife is a physician.   You don't have to be on that schedule forever.  You have many options depending on your specialty and practice.

18 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Nivin's situation is a bit more unique.  His wife is a doctor too...so they have to take some crap for awhile to be in the same area.

Exactly, both of us sort of work as part of our visa clause, underserved locations where no others physicians in our speciality want to work. Gotta do this another 6 -7 yrs before we get green card and chance to pick and choose options ourselves. :(