VFR Questions

Tonyblaze

57 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Dragging parts is relative to body position.  Hang off far enough and no hard parts will drag...cruisers excluded.

Sure that helps, but you're still gonna drag bits (and knees) when you get over far enough.....on any bike.    And obviously the heavier the bike, and the lighter YOU are, the less effect hanging-off has.  

2 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

021715-dukes-den-race-tracks-Honda-VFR-3

Guess I was wrong when I thought we didn't get any pictures in WV Tony, lol.  I will attest that bike would put a whoopin on most sport touring machines.  In Tony's hands the bike would embarrass a significant majority of the sportbike riders on the forum.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Qman said:

Well, the F800's don't have the boxer engine style, they are parallel-twins.  At any rate, the 1200 boxer GS and RT is what I was referring to.  If you could find a good used version, (2009+) that would be the way to go for best value.

No, the one with the Boxer engine she tried to get me to look at was the R1200 RS. Bike had everything including a Shiatsu massager. I was sold until I flipped over the price tag. $16,000 used. She saw look on my face and added that they rent them also when their used at $149.00/day. Still trying to figure out if I was insulted.  

18 minutes ago, jschaf said:

Guess I was wrong when I thought we didn't get any pictures in WV Tony, lol.  I will attest that bike would put a whoopin on most sport touring machines.  In Tony's hands the bike would embarrass a significant majority of the sportbike riders on the forum.

Think I could still slide a piece of paper between the exhaust and the track there.

Yep. Qman's right about  any bike dragging if leaned enough & the heavier the bike with the lighter rider, yada, yada, but you probably wouldn't be disappointed with the VFR1200.  I don't think it really accommodates taller riders though.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Tonyblaze said:

No, the one with the Boxer engine she tried to get me to look at was the R1200 RS. Bike had everything including a Shiatsu massager. I was sold until I flipped over the price tag. $16,000 used. She saw look on my face and added that they rent them also when their used at $149.00/day. Still trying to figure out if I was insulted.  

Here's that puppy. Took a picture to add to Bucket List. 

BMW2.jpg

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I love the simplicity of the BMW boxer. I just don't care for anything else that's bolted to it.  

I had one for about 1,000 miles.  It never quite did it for me.  I'd imagine the newer ones are more enjoyable.

• Upvote 1

Me and wife rented a 1200 RT and rode for around 9- 10 days in west coast. All loaded up with big top case and panniers, bike felt very heavy, struggled the first two days. And by fourth fifth day we were passing avg sports bike in twisties two up. The bike boxer and its low CG was helping a lot to make it feel well planted and enjoyable. She had a great time, and I was really enjoying myself. It was not exciting but a real easy fun bike to chew up miles. 

Video we made years ago. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

Me and wife rented a 1200 RT and rode for around 9- 10 days in west coast. All loaded up with big top case and panniers, bike felt very heavy, struggled the first two days. And by fourth fifth day we were passing avg sports bike in twisties two up. The bike boxer and its low CG was helping a lot to make it feel well planted and enjoyable. She had a great time, and I was really enjoying myself. It was not exciting but a real easy fun bike to chew up miles. 

Video we made years ago. 

RT shouldnt feel TOO heavy....its a full 79 pounds lighter than the FJR!!!

50 minutes ago, Qman said:

RT shouldnt feel TOO heavy....its a full 79 pounds lighter than the FJR!!!

It is a lighter bike on hind sight, but at that time I was coming from a Vfr 800 to this one, and the bags were loaded to brim plus some. I still haven't loaded up the fjr like that yet. Honestly RT was more relaxed and fun to ride, closer to touring, I would choose it again to tour. And the fjr is more mean and exciting closer to sports bike and would choose this when solo touring through back roads. Kinda vague description, I know.  Just trying to explain the heart and soul of motorcycling is difficult. 

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, blue72beetle said:

How's the gas mileage and range? I was considering the VFR12 when I bought my GSXS but I seem to remember people had issue with gas tank size and mileage. Didn't Honda increase tank size after a certain year?

It holds 4.9 gallons (per Honda).  Range was one of the initial complaints when it first came out.  

The furthest I've ever gone on a tank is 215 miles, and that was mostly highway cruising around 75mph.

The range is around 160 miles if I'm riding twisties at mach retard with a lot of high rpm and WOT.  On those days I'm usually stopping for gas between 100-120 miles, so it's never been a problem for me.

1 hour ago, Tpoppa said:

It holds 4.9 gallons (per Honda).  Range was one of the initial complaints when it first came out.  

The furthest I've ever gone on a tank is 215 miles, and that was mostly highway cruising around 75mph.

The range is around 160 miles if I'm riding twisties at mach retard with a lot of high rpm and WOT.  On those days I'm usually stopping for gas between 100-120 miles, so it's never been a problem for me.

Yet one more reason i like my GSA....about 340 mile range.:dirtbike2:

5 hours ago, NinjaDoc said:

It is a lighter bike on hind sight, but at that time I was coming from a Vfr 800 to this one, and the bags were loaded to brim plus some. I still haven't loaded up the fjr like that yet. Honestly RT was more relaxed and fun to ride, closer to touring, I would choose it again to tour. And the fjr is more mean and exciting closer to sports bike and would choose this when solo touring through back roads. Kinda vague description, I know.  Just trying to explain the heart and soul of motorcycling is difficult. 

That was the older generation RT...the new one adds 20+HP and more torque.

28 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Wait, you were complaining about the VFRs exhaust sound and you have a boxer...lol  Boxers sound like a sewing machines.

If you look back, i said the VFR 1200 is even worse than my GS!  Matter of opinion of course.  Hell, many people think the unsyncopated and unbalanced cacophony of a 45-degree, single-crankpin Harley sounds good.  The new boxer exhaust does sound a bit better than the previous gen...but still kinda boring.   I'll tell you what DID sound good...guy at a restaurant the other day had a Aston Martin Rapide S...6L, V12.....OH MY YES!

On 7/13/2017 at 1:19 AM, NinjaDoc said:

Video we made years ago. 

When I grow up I want your life. 

1 hour ago, Tonyblaze said:

When I grow up I want your life. 

U mean working stretches of 14 to 21 day straight/ avg 90-100 hrs a week/ on call and not sleeping every 3rd night / unable to switch job or complain/ trust me- u don't want this. For sure I will not let my son grow up to be like me :D 

• Upvote 1