Department store bike racing

redkow97

Maybe not this season, but I am considering trying to organize a department store bike race.  $150 budget (if you're buying new), but I would hope 99% of the bikes are garage sale rescues.  New tubes and brake shoes are the only mods allowed.

Short course.  Like, 2.5 miles.  Or possibly a 4 mile course with a short-cut through much more serious terrain, so you're risking something by taking it. 

May be too dangerous for MTB trails.  Cyclocross might be safer.  we'll see. 

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Best bet for my money would be to lose the rd and make it a single speed. Don't believe I'd take it to any park bigger than a bunny trail, though. My teeth are afraid of stems. 

shhhhh. You're giving everyone the ideas I was going to hoard :p

I agree with simplicity though.  A think an older rigid might actually prove to be a lot more reliable than a brand new "full suspension" bike that is built to a super cheap price point.

The crappy side-pull rim brakes make me nervous though.  A newer crap bike may have mechanical disks, which is all I have on my Framed bike. (Mine are Avid BB7's)

then there are the strategic decisions:  Go balls out and hope the bike holds together, or go at a pace where you're reasonable sure the bike will survive?  I think it could be fun.  Sketchy, but fun.

Especially if it's a short race, with lots of beer waiting. 

coaster brake would definitely be more reliable and a lot stronger, but I think it would be very difficult to ride downhill sections that way.  I back-pedal to keep my inside foot up in turns.  Tough habit to break.  Plus I front brake a lot.

I'm with you on single speed though.  Or at least "ghetto 1x" and just change the front ring manually, if you happen to need it. I would probably use 3 gears, assuming they were working...

getting the wheels trued and the rim brakes set up the best they can be is probably the major task though.  The other failure I have routinely seen in department store bikes is the bars rotating forward, because they tend to run a single pinch bolt, rather than the 4 bolt setup used on quality bikes.  That's almost a big enough concern for a rules concession, but I think that would be getting away from the intent of the mayhem. 

Which trail(s) do you ride most often? 

I don't consider my local trail to be that difficult.  I'd almost call it boring.  I mean, I love it because it's close and it's accessible, but I can't imagine it being a "destination" for anyone.  A cyclocross bike would be rideable there.  I think a Huffy would survive, if ridden at a conservative pace, and if it were well tuned. 

But my original question is to gauge what kind of terrain you're picturing. 

49 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I am less than 10 minutes from West Branch. 

Taking a Walmart bike on Quarry or Southside would take some real guts. I think your best bet would be to drag the bike over the rocks. I would say carry but those things are worse boat anchors than my Pugs :D

I'll have to get out and ride West Branch. 

Royalview has tree roots, and a couple of man-made "rock gardens," which are really pretty flat, and only there to prevent mud and erosion in low spots.   The only natural rock feature is a creek crossing.

The "skills section" has one drop, but you can bypass it easily.  I have found 1 "jump," which isn't a jump, but rather a tree root at the top of a really small natural rise in the trail. 

The only thing that makes anything tricky at Royalview is speed, and that's an easy variable to reduce or eliminate on a cheap bike.