tinted pinlock insert

hiro

Is a dark tinted pinlock insert anywhere near as effective as a dark shield? I imagine light around the edges of the insert might be distracting or annoying. How is it compared to a drop-down visor?  (I've used safety glasses at times.) What I dislike most about clear shields is the greenhouse effect.

Best combo I've found is mirrored shield with pin lock and a clear drop down just in case I need it. That's with my Simpson ghost bandit. My first pinlock and I absolutely love it

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Best combo I've found is mirrored shield with pin lock and a clear drop down just in case I need it. That's with my Simpson ghost bandit. My first pinlock and I absolutely love it

Is it a clear pinlock insert? I found the pinlock to be great for anti-fog, but it is a pain at night due to reflections. I thought most drop-downs would be tinted.

Pinlock is clear. No problems with reflections but haven't used it much after dark. Most companies offer clear or yellow drop downs. Mirrored shield isn't bad in town or anywhere lit up a little after dark but I usually just raise the visor and use the drop down. 

Never tried a tinted shield or tinted pin lock.  On all my helmets, they are always clear and always installed.  I don't find the clear pin lock to be a problem in the dark, even though they don't recommend it. I don't like stopping to change that stuff, or carrying unnecessary crap.  I found some 3m tinted safety glasses that fit me really well (for petite faces...shut up) that are very comfortable in my helmet and cheap.  I have a whole case of them and carry at least one spare in my tank bag.  If I lose, drop, scratch them, they get thrown away and I open another pair.  Way cheaper than buying another pin lock.  When it gets dark, I pull them off and shove them in the tank bag.  No stopping. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Pinlock is clear. No problems with reflections but haven't used it much after dark. Most companies offer clear or yellow drop downs. Mirrored shield isn't bad in town or anywhere lit up a little after dark but I usually just raise the visor and use the drop down. 

I tried riding with the shield open or off and just safety glasses...until that time a huge bugs splattered at the edge of my eye. I could feel the wetness but couldn't stop to clean it. It looked blood red when I cleaned it later.

59 minutes ago, PhilD'oh! said:

Never tried a tinted shield or tinted pin lock.  On all my helmets, they are always clear and always installed.  I don't find the clear pin lock to be a problem in the dark, even though they don't recommend it. I don't like stopping to change that stuff, or carrying unnecessary crap.  I found some 3m tinted safety glasses that fit me really well (for petite faces...shut up) that are very comfortable in my helmet and cheap.  I have a whole case of them and carry at least one spare in my tank bag.  If I lose, drop, scratch them, they get thrown away and I open another pair.  Way cheaper than buying another pin lock.  When it gets dark, I pull them off and shove them in the tank bag.  No stopping. 

I got some like these> Z1-Nwvfo5oy.JPG

• Upvote 1

Listen to Phil. Changing a pin lock is a bit of a PITA. And yoy have to be real careful how you store them...they scratch like a mofo.

Pin locks are great for fog. There are not for sun glare imnsho. Get a helmet with a flip down sun visor. They all have them now.

• Upvote 2

I run a tinted shield, with a pinlock, and a drop down tinted shield inside of the helmet. Works great getting extra dark when riding into the sun in the morning to work. Riding with tinted shield at night doesn't bother me. If it does, I always carry a pair of clear safety glasses.