Looking for a motorcycle mechanic

rawlins87

Bike is a 77 Yamaha dt400. 

Having spark issues. Bike ran years ago and I dumped it in a creek and since then has had ignition/spark problems.  Looking for recommendations for a mechanic or someone on the board that can fix it.

52 minutes ago, hiro said:

I'm curious if you have a service manual or a wiring diagram? I guess there are only so many things that could go wrong. (I guess it would have a points and a condenser?)

Yes points

28 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

I use Rob Minton for anything I cant figure out on my own. Minton Cycle 

740-668-2233

614-206-2514

Thanks dude I'll call Wednesday 

Just curious. Did you make an attempt to check it yourself? I guess there is no battery, so I guess just a magneto generates power. (Or is it called a stator?) Maybe the first thing to check. Then points and condenser. Then spark plug. Or do it in reverse order.

Edited by hiro

Seems awfully advanced for a 77 enduro  

My 74 DT360 was magneto and points. 

If the points got wet they could be rested and not conducting. Open them up clean them up make sure they are making contact and chase spark from there 

Edited by max power
  • Upvote 1

Dress points with Emory paper or crocus cloth, clean with contact cleaner spray. Easy job and should fix it, or at least remove points from the equation. Next items to check would be all associated wiring connectors, then coil, then cdi box. Again, pretty simple stuff. Possible magneto is bad, but more likely it's one of the ignition components. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, max power said:

Seems awfully advanced for a 77 enduro  

My 74 DT360 was magneto and points. 

Yeah, I don't really know. A quick search seemed to indicate CDI. There might have been some changes between 1976 and 1977 even. One thing though; this thread makes me want to get an old bike to work on! (I always wanted a YZ80 when I was a kid. Still can't afford it at this point. haha)

• Upvote 1

Guys your missing the point. I don't want to mess with it I simply don't have the time. I'd rather pay someone to diag/fix it.  Sure could be kill switch or anything/all of the ignition stuff. Idk and I don't have time to mess with it.

Edited by rawlins87

6 hours ago, CrazySkullCrusher said:

I would gladly fix it but I'm too far away. 

And I would gladly give it a go, but my wife would kick me out of the garage and maybe the house. Got a whole house to work on to prepare for a move.

I found a service manual for the bike and it gives numbers for resistance checks at least, and a wiring diagram. Is it actually a 6V system??

3 hours ago, hiro said:

And I would gladly give it a go, but my wife would kick me out of the garage and maybe the house. Got a whole house to work on to prepare for a move.

I found a service manual for the bike and it gives numbers for resistance checks at least, and a wiring diagram. Is it actually a 6V system??

Yes iirc 6 volt.