6/31/17 MTB ride, anyone?

redkow97

Looking to get out and ride EARLY on Saturday.  I'd like for this to be a 12-20 mile ride, if possible.

Open to suggestions as to where, or to meet up with people.  Huffman (Medina area) was suggested to me by someone at the trail yesterday.  I was thinking 2 laps at Vulture's Knob, but that's in Wooster, so the drive-time eats into ride time.

Mohican isn't out of the question either, but I would want to be there and be riding pretty much as soon as it's light enough to see, so I can be home around lunch.

Any takers?

Not looking to ride at a blistering pace, given the distance.  Or rather, I'd rather ride the last 2 miles fast, than go out hard and want to die the last 2 miles.

2 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

Is this a trick - there is no 6/31/2017..... :dunno:

hahahaha - no, it's me being stupid.  My daughter's birthday is 8/31, and I was thinking "she's 10 months old tomorrow," so I typed 31 because I'd just looked at the picture my wife posted.

Saturday morning - I want to get my miles in before yard work, cook-outs, etc.   Plus we have some stupid wedding shower thing Saturday night, and a 4th party on the 2nd (which sounds dumb now that I say it).

56 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Will they be open after last night's storm?

I think so.  I got caught IN the downpour yesterday during my time trial, and there was 1-2" of standing water in some sections of the trail, but it wasn't soaking in.  the trail was still firm, and as hot as it is today, I think things will dry out pretty well.

It seems like most of the Ohio trails are pretty clay-based, and water has to sit on them for a while to make them muddy - that's after the 2-months it takes for them to dry out and harden from all the melting snow...

But now that it's dry, the water runs off pretty well.

"worst case" scenario for me is I put in 3 laps at my local trail.  I like doing that, but I don't want to get bored of the terrain, and I'd like to throw in some longer routes with steeper climbs.  the yellow trail at Royalview is a nice long gradual climb most of the way, but it's not good for training bursts of effort.  The paved road is better than the trail for that.

I think trails take a while to open, but once opened they dry out faster. I got into MTB last July so didn't have to go through that open/closed period. I was shocked this year at how often they were closed at the start of the season since last year they very rarely closed after July.

If you haven't been to Huffman/Reagan recently, I HIGHLY recommend the newly added downhill flow section where that open plain was. SO FUN! I finally made it through all the trails last weekend there. Most likely will be there again Sunday and the 4th in the am. I used to think I had to go to Mohican for long rides, but it was a long ride at Medina and can always add on more loops there or head over to the Austin Badger trails if wanting more miles. Medina has it going on!

https://www.strava.com/activities/1053644694

• Upvote 2

I also severely underestimated how long everything would be mush between the deep-freeze (that never really came this year) and truly dry trails.

That is the primary reason I want a cyclocross bike before a lighter/faster cross country hardtail.  I can ride the fat bike on dry singletrack with much less penalty than i get riding it on pavement.  Thus the CX/road combo rounds out my fleet better than an XC bike that's really only suited to dry singletrack. 

I'm setting myself up to have my most expensive bike be the one I ride the least :-/    Something about that seems really backward, and it makes me want a cheaper hardtail when the time comes.

Tonight and Saturday have a high chance of rain. Even if open the trails may be pretty messy.

I will probably try to ride Sunday morning. Medina is a possibility but that is twice as far as West Branch for me. Plus I know I'm not keeping up with Jhawk and would hold up Chris also. 

i did ride Bedford Wed evening and was surprised how solid the trial finally is. I also had one of those rides where everything just felt great. Beat nearly all of PRs and I know I was in better shape last year.

Rode Hampton Hill last weekend, which is a fun trail. Construction is like East Rim without the rock obstacles. The one loop is very vertical, which I creep down and up but does provide a good challenge for the skills and lungs :D 

Edited by CBBaron

East Rim and Hampton are fun too. I like Bedford for how open it is, can really get moving! For not having mountains, we sure have lots of fun trails!

Hoping to be on a Fuel Ex or Stumpjumper this weekend to try this Full Suspension stuff out, so may be slower than usual! I think most of my issues come from lack of skills vs lack of suspension...

6 minutes ago, jhawk said:

East Rim and Hampton are fun too. I like Bedford for how open it is, can really get moving! For not having mountains, we sure have lots of fun trails!

Hoping to be on a Fuel Ex or Stumpjumper this weekend to try this Full Suspension stuff out, so may be slower than usual! I think most of my issues come from lack of skills vs lack of suspension...

Well I had my best MTB ride ever at Bedford Wed and you are still 6 min faster :D

I'm lacking skill, suspension and fitness. 

We do have a lot of fun trails within reasonable distance.