Suggestion: Require Speeds for rides?

Nebbors

19 hours ago, hiro said:

Back on the topic; I don't get how some people can be so confident on a public road. Just yesterday a deer crossed in front of me near the exit of a curve. Deer don't respect skills at all. heh I mean, I hate riding in a straight line--I don't even walk in a straight line--but I get why some people only go fast while upright on the street.

There's no magic pill for this. What @NinjaDoc told me a few years ago was miles. You just need to put down miles in the curvy stuff. And that's just what I did. I went on many long rides by myself just concentrating on different aspects of riding. After a few thousand miles I returned to some of these group rides and I was doing much better. I'm still not fast nor claim to be but I think I can hold my own now. What I did always do (and continue to do) was ride within myself. Within my abilities all the time, regardless of who I was riding with.

As for the random acts of God, i.e. Trees falling and deers crossing, nothing is gonna solve that completely. You just have to put yourself in a position to deal with the unknown the best. Whether that be the pace you are riding or the line you take into a corner. For example a lot of us on the street take an outside to inside approach. We go into the corner on the wide side of the lane which allows us to see the furthest through a particular corner, hopefully giving us enough reaction time if something were on the other side. But that's not going to completely protect you from the unknown.

• Upvote 2

Well said Tim. I started riding with Dave L and Bill B from Core in 2001 I think. Loved the corners but I sucked and was slow due to lack of skill and saddle time. Over the years I've logged about 250,000 miles. Most of them in Southern Oh. I can honestly say that when riding I rarely blow a corner, don't use brakes much and feel comfortable riding the speeds we do. The small group I ride with does ride fast. Who leads depends on the day and how we feel. We all have had days where we just don't feel it and have broken off. To put it bluntly, slab about 100 miles to get to the Twisties and don't want to ride at 50%. I only get out every 2 or 3 weeks and want to wick it up a bit. Sorry if our rides have offended anyone. We often keep our rides private.....Maybe we need to continue doing just that. Besides how fast can a Yamaha Super Tenere be.

• Upvote 1

Any old guy bike will do. Hell, on my way down to the ride Sunday I followed behind an older gentlemen on a Harley bagger that was holding an admirable pace.  I stayed behind him for about 5 miles or so just to watch.  We both stopped to gas up in Coshocton & complimented him on being a 1%er so to speak.  He said that the Ohlins helped but none the less.  Don't think I'll go the ADV route myself as I've got my eye on something European that looks very comfortable but will be more in line with the CBR than the Ninja in the Twisties department.  (That's after I get the new phone, by the way.)

• Upvote 2

@TimTheAzn the first ride you rode with us years ago you were mature and lvl headed, I remember jerry telling me "this guy will come back " and will be riding with us for years :) 

the guy who was the guiding light and helped me like that is the old @Uncle Punk above. The advice is not like 5 page long, it was simple. "Don't worry about keeping rpm high, the bike can take it. " 

so so don't be afraid of group rides, find the rIght one for you, or be a riding brostitute like me go with any and  every group when ever you can :) 

its the hidden wheel / circle of life / of moto life 

the best thing about OR this one forum knowingly or unknowingly is a main reason there are less squids and more lvl headed talented riders on the streets of Ohio. You hang out here u, u get to meet good riders, develop good skills, and in the unfortunate event of crash u still walk away since atgatt is the hidden rule.

Almost all the riders that we regularly meet and ride with have been good riders, speed is just a state of mind and enjoyement. Safety is a necessity and requirement. Almost all the regulars here, u can be sure they will either wait for you at next intersection or will show up at the next intersection while you wait. 

@theroamr please add this addict to the mailing list :) 

as I am getting older, work family social cultural obligations start to load your mind up day by day. I understand what some oldie riders keep saying, want to ride to get it out of you. You keep all this bundled up day after day and on the 7th day he rode. As of right now my state of mind is ruthless aggression and want to twist that freaking throttle and burn the rubber around a corner. Gone is my sensibility to be sane. I can't wait for this weekend to ride the freaking wheels of this bike and boil the engine to a stop. 

(Ps: I am almost certain coming weekend when I walk out that door and see my baby boy's face or even his innocent toy I be like, take it eaaaasy bud .. we need to come back in one peice and be riding in split mind ) 

2 minutes ago, jschaf said:

The XR is nice but I'm currently in the mood for a big f'n twin. Should be good riding next year If you're able to break away from the dog shows any.

Has Paul been trying to lure you over to the overpriced burnt coffee side of the tracks?

and as for an XR - Ride1 in Hilliard has a left over 2015 or 2016 at a steep steep discount, unless it's sold in the last 3 weeks. 

1 hour ago, Uncle Punk said:

Think of all the Adventure / Tourer I4s on the market. It has to be an I4 or else it just won't generate enough power to get out of corners properly.

Wooster has a well set up used one. The guys know the previous owner, all service through them. It's not a steal but a damn good deal. I test drove it. Was not my cup of tea, but awesome deal nevertheless 

BB142ACB-6B4B-4798-8BF8-08F7EB15BDB8_zps

Edited by NinjaDoc

1 hour ago, jschaf said:

Any old guy bike will do. Hell, on my way down to the ride Sunday I followed behind an older gentlemen on a Harley bagger that was holding an admirable pace.  I stayed behind him for about 5 mileys or so just to watch.  We both stopped to gas up in Coshocton & complimented him on being a 1%er so to speak.  He said that the Ohlins helped but none the less.  Don't think I'll go the ADV route myself as I've got my eye on something European that looks very comfortable but will be more in line with the CBR than the Ninja in the Twisties department.  (That's after I get the new phone, by the way.)

Hey! I ain't old... Or a gentleman! Glad I didn't hold you up too bad. My original Dunlop's have about 15,000 miles on them and a past worn out. I did 380 miles in 7 hours and never got on a 4 lane. Guess a 54MpH average including 2 gas stops and a sit down lunch at Taco Bell isn't too bad for an old gentleman on a bagger?

Hey man, Nice to meet you. I'm not old either but some people would argue that.  You were working that bike thru the corners pretty damn good & I was fascinated so I had to watch.  Thanks for slowing down & lettin' me pass.  We'll have to get together next year when we get the proper bikes & make sure Todd joins us on whatever he decides is the proper bike for him.

43 minutes ago, KTMRIDER said:

I plan on either having a Super Duke GT or a Super Adventure T for next season. Uncle Punk refuses to ride with me as long as a have a Harley....

Uncle Punk refuses to ride with me as long as I'm slow...

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, jschaf said:

The XR is nice but I'm currently in the mood for a big f'n twin. Should be good riding next year If you're able to break away from the dog shows any.

Something Italian, perhaps?

11 hours ago, KTMRIDER said:

UP may be faster than me on asphalt, but I can make him cry in the dirt?

Crying is an understatement, it's more like crying for a week.

The one to three percent that I might be faster than him on the street gets embarrassingly forgotten by the ninety percent that he is faster than me in the dirt.