Suggestion: Require Speeds for rides?

Nebbors

Not to beat a dead horse, and this is mainly aimed at new riders here.....but anyone looking to extend their skillset SAFELY......seriously, take in a couple trackdays.  Sure, it can be expensive, but the lessons learned on a prepped race surface with medical staff on site....priceless.   And those techniques can translate to street riding WITHIN REASON.  Speeds on the street should never compare to the lap times you managed to turn at MidO or the like.....but some of the TECHNIQUES can be used to keep you at a safer level than just trying to keep up with a much faster group.

• Upvote 1

I learned a lot from group rides. Watching how others tacked a corner helped me to hone my skills. I also felt more comfortable pushing my limits a bit during group rides because I felt confident that if I were to mess it up, there would at least be someone else present to call for help and keep me from laying in traffic.

I never felt pressured to go faster than I was comfortable, though. Most anyone I rode with was cool with waiting for anyone to catch up.

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Danimal said:

I learned a lot from group rides as well.

I learned to avoid group rides (not counting long trips riding with close friends)

Those are my favorite group rides, DTC trips to Pittsburgh or Coshocton or invisible castles.

21 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

What motor oil should I use when I ride with Jschaf & theroamr?:banana:

Dunno, but Jschaf has a spreadsheet under his seat to tell you what tire pressure to run in your tires based on current ambient temps.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Fast isn't the goal. It's the byproduct of being smooth and relaxed. If your heart rate is climbing on a ride, you're already above your skillset. Following faster riders won't make you fast. Listening to solid advice from faster riders should, if you remember to go slow and make sure you have the mechanics under control.

Fast should never be the goal. Fast will happen if you spend time learning how to ride properly, versus trying to ride fast. 

^^^this advice from this dude while also sometimes getting my heart rate super high on a ride is the only reason I ever actually learned to ride at the pace I could (which was still slow but fun as hell)

I think generally speaking, people tend to post what's expected on group rides from what I've seen. Pace-wise, I haven't ever been on a group ride organized on this forum that didn't stop and wait at intersections for slower riders, and I was one of those slower riders so I took advantage of this perk, quite often after my lowside 2 years ago. 

As for getting more comfortable with cornering - track day. You don't have to be a junkie with a track bike, full leather power ranger suit and thousands of dollars to burn in order to run a track day or two. The way track days are organized, they are a school in the less experienced groups. An "instructor" or control rider will be paired with you and will give you feedback on what you should/can be working on to improve. They will show you the lines of the course and are a tremendous wealth of knowledge. I encourage everyone I talk to that hasn't done a track day and expresses an interest in becoming a better rider to go to the track at least once. It's set up in such a way that, like a ski/snowboard lesson, there's the bunny hill where you can start out (novice group) and it scales all the way up to double black diamond back-country deep powder runs (advanced/open race practice). 

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, tall_tracy said:

...everyone I've ridden with seems exponentially faster than I am on roads with curves.  I could use the practice but feel like it hinders/annoys other riders so I just don't join.  I want to ride because I love it, not spend the day with anxiety because I feel like I'm slowing everyone else down.

The road doesn't seem to be the most stress-free place to practice taking corners faster! Maybe I'm just getting old, and everyone knows I think too much. heh But working on cornering could get you out of trouble one day. Anyway, if you have enough power, you could always catch up on the straights! Get it to 90mph?

• Upvote 1

I feel if you pay any attention at all here you know which of us ride at what pace. That said you're never ever obligated to keep up. I'll always wait at intersections for others to catch up and be accounted for but I shouldn't have to slow my pace because someone that showed up isn't happy with it. Ride your ride, I wait at the next turn. Don't want to continue, just let me know at next turn you're pulling off. 

Mach Retard and Fast are rides, the other paces are poker runs ?

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, hiro said:

Anyway, if you have enough power, you could always catch up on the straights! Get it to 90mph?

That right there is 2 things. 

A sure sign you're out of your skill set 

and an accident looking for a place to happen. Usually on the brakes into a corner

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

The speed of the ride leader, or other riders in NO WAY should affect your speed.

Your speed should be based on your skill, confidence, and how you prefer to be riding that day.  End of story.

If I'm content following the rider in front of me, I'll stay there.  If not, I may pass in a straight, or the next time we change roads.  If I want to chill, I'll either drop way back, or let someone know that I'm going to split off and do my own thing.  In any case...I am riding MY ride.

This all day long

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MidgetTodd said:

That right there is 2 things. 

A sure sign you're out of your skill set 

and an accident looking for a place to happen. Usually on the brakes into a corner

Yeah, I started thinking about the braking part. heh

4 hours ago, tall_tracy said:

...everyone I've ridden with seems exponentially faster than I am on roads with curves.  I could use the practice but feel like it hinders/annoys other riders so I just don't join.  I want to ride because I love it, not spend the day with anxiety because I feel like I'm slowing everyone else down.

Tracy,

Before a ride ask if anyone would mind following you for a few miles and giving you some feedback.  I've done this for lots of people (some on this board), pretty sure UP has also. 

After just a couple miles of curves, I guarantee I can give you some pointers that will have you riding smoother, safer, and more confidently by the end of the day.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Tracy,

Before a ride ask if anyone would mind following you for a few miles.

If I wasnt married I'd follow her everywhere like a puppy dog. Or a dirty old man, take your pick.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Danimal said:

I learned a lot from group rides as well.

I learned to avoid group rides (not counting long trips riding with close friends)

LOL Dan.  Yea, I prefer to ride with people I trust to have my back if something should happen.

6 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Fast isn't the goal. It's the byproduct of being smooth and relaxed. If your heart rate is climbing on a ride, you're already above your skillset. Following faster riders won't make you fast. Listening to solid advice from faster riders should, if you remember to go slow and make sure you have the mechanics under control.

Fast should never be the goal. Fast will happen if you spend time learning how to ride properly, versus trying to ride fast. 

Great point. I'd wager that 95% of the group ride accidents I've seen were when someone was riding above their skill level, comfort level, or trying to keep up with someone when they should be riding their own ride.

IF you want to test your limits, a track is a much better place to do it. You can pay for limit testing with runoff, leathers, and a safe environment with an ambulance nearby. On the street, you can pay for it with life-altering injury or death.

Only place I'll ride above my pay grade is in the dirt.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Tonik said:

Dunno, but Jschaf has a spreadsheet under his seat to tell you what tire pressure to run in your tires based on current ambient temps.

Yes, I have seen the cheat sheet you speak of. How about when your taking a break during a ride and he starts talking about the Coriolis Effect on our motorcycles moving due north or due south :yuno:and the reciprocating mass of a inline four engine effect on what fuel pump location you should pick at the speedway gas station in Marietta:confused:. I miss you Jim.

B.

• Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Tracy,

Before a ride ask if anyone would mind following you for a few miles and giving you some feedback.  I've done this for lots of people (some on this board), pretty sure UP has also. 

After just a couple miles of curves, I guarantee I can give you some pointers that will have you riding smoother, safer, and more confidently by the end of the day.

I did this on my last group ride.

22 minutes ago, Tonik said:

If I wasnt married I'd follow her everywhere like a puppy dog. Or a dirty old man, take your pick.

Thanks. ?

38 minutes ago, Tonik said:

That's just wrong. heh I like interacting with her on this forum because she is not Isaac's Papa. hehe (I know he will see this and something bad will happen!) More accurately because I get straight talk about whatever the topic is instead of the usual treatment. Don't get me wrong, I like being insulted occasionally. haha

Back on the topic; I don't get how some people can be so confident on a public road. Just yesterday a deer crossed in front of me near the exit of a curve. Deer don't respect skills at all. heh I mean, I hate riding in a straight line--I don't even walk in a straight line--but I get why some people only go fast while upright on the street.

3 hours ago, hiro said:

That's just wrong. heh I like interacting with her on this forum because she is not Isaac's Papa. hehe (I know he will see this and something bad will happen!) More accurately because I get straight talk about whatever the topic is instead of the usual treatment. Don't get me wrong, I like being insulted occasionally. haha

Nah bro, you just thirsty.  We get it.  

3 hours ago, hiro said:

I don't get how some people can be so confident on a public road. Just yesterday a deer crossed in front of me near the exit of a curve. Deer don't respect skills at all. 

This is a risk we take as motorcyclists. We can't predict creatures running across the road or a tree limb falling out of the sky. You can be 100% right, but you can also be dead right. If riding a motorcycle was risk-free, everyone would do it. This is also why gear is important.

• Upvote 1