Suggestion: Require Speeds for rides?

Nebbors

So, yesterday I joined the ride @theroamr put together. And while I can ride at the level they were riding at, it requires lots of concentration and is slightly stressful.

This is not a complaint! I loved the ride! (also great riding with @jschaf!)

However, wasn't what I was in the mood for especially after I got some upsetting news during the ride. 

I want to suggest we adopt a format for ride proposals:

All rides should say a couple things, meet time, departure time, estimated duration of ride and leaders normal riding speed (I'm using a modified @DerekClouser epic ride post)

Speeds:

• Release the Demons: The first rule of release the demons is, you don't talk about release the demons.

If you have to ask what the speeds are you do not belong in this group.

Honorary Member: Valentino Rossi (Though some OR demons think he is too slow.)

• Mach Retard: 70+ MPH on the straights and 40+ over the posted limits on some curves. 

The people who belong to the group know they belong to this group, they don't think they belong here. Don't jump in here unless you been riding with such fellows for some time. If you are not sure, it's not your speed.

• Fast:Usually 70 mph on the straight and 25-30 mph over the posted limit of curve.

Be very sure you want to go these speeds and are capable of doing them.

• Medium-Fast: 65-70 mph on the straight and 20-25 over the posted limit of curve.

This is the usual fast rides some group rides do, still rather fast. Jump in here if you been riding for a while and is comfortable at these paces on most roads

• Medium: 65 mph on the straight and 15-20 over the posted limit of curve.

This is the everyday regular group rides pace,Jump in here if you been riding for a while and is comfortable at these paces on most roads

• Slow: 60 mph or around posted limit on the straight and up to 10 over the posted limit of curve.

This is the a very comfortable yet fun group ride. Jump in here if you like doing friendly fun rides and also new riders must join here.

Edited by nebbish
speed above mach retard

Seeing that you've joined in 2008, I would have thought you knew the normal characters around the forum. Myself and most of the board members know when certain people post a ride, what the expectations are for that ride. That's just how it is. I'm sorry that you got some bad news during the ride. If it effected you that much one of two things should have happened, you should tell the ride leader what was going on and see if they could work with you. Or, you drop off and head for home. Any ride at any pace is dangerous when your head isn't in the right place.

I was up sunday morning, geared up, ready to ride down and meet up with you guys, but I had tweaked some suspension the day before and didnt get a test ride on it after. That was enough to make me bail last minute. (Also only saw this ride at 1230 the night before so I would've been NinjaDoc'n it.) I know those guys that signed up for the ride, I knew that my head wasnt in the right place in the morning. So I gave up a beautiful day to play it safe and play with myself..... I mean play by myself on my bike.

Next time, just let everyone know whats going on! No one here is going to give you shit about mentioning something because you are concerned with safety or the pace.

• Upvote 2

I did, told @theroamrpretty much as soon as I got the news. And I chose to leave after a bit.

My suggestion wasn't for 1000+ posters. It was to help people new to the board.

Also, just FYI I was off the board from 2010 until recently. Relearning the people now.

Edited by nebbish
added comment
  • Upvote 2

1 minute ago, tall_tracy said:

I understand the concentration and stress -- this is the main reason why I never join the rides posted.

I like to ride with people. Riding alone is awesome sometimes, but, riding with others somehow is better.

• Upvote 1

Just now, nebbish said:

I like to ride with people. Riding alone is awesome sometimes, but, riding with others somehow is better.

I agree with you, but everyone I've ridden with seems exponentially faster than I am on roads with curves.  I could use the practice but feel like it hinders/annoys other riders so I just don't join.  I want to ride because I love it, not spend the day with anxiety because I feel like I'm slowing everyone else down.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, tall_tracy said:

I agree with you, but everyone I've ridden with seems exponentially faster than I am on roads with curves.  I could use the practice but feel like it hinders/annoys other riders so I just don't join.  I want to ride because I love it, not spend the day with anxiety because I feel like I'm slowing everyone else down.

Text me next time you want to go. I'll tag along. I happy just to be out with people.

4 minutes ago, jporter12 said:

Many of the rides I have been on, the group will wait at each stop, or turn, to wait for everyone to catch up.  If the ride doesn't have this courtesy, and you're not 100% sure you can keep the pace, don't go!

Oh, I kept up. I agree with what you said btw.

"Pace won't be mach retard but will be brisk. Wear gear, and ride your own ride, we wait when route changes."

^^^^^this last sentence is what I like most about the O.R. Rides I've been on. When the last rider makes it to the intersection there are smiling faces waiting. "Ride your own ride" seems to hold true. Some of these guys are damn fast and when they need to scratch that itch I'll see them at the next stop sign. Hell I hope someday I can handle a bike that well. I think the way @theroamr posted this up is a good thing. Tells me that if you drop off it's no big deal they'll happily hold up at the next stop. That's a pretty welcoming attitude. 

I think the only way we figure out who we're comfortable riding with on here are open invitations like that one. 

• Upvote 2

The group I rode with most of last summer is comprised of all of the above.  We just know where we are going to meet up.  I recall TheRoamer's post.  He was clear he would wait at each turn.  Best of both worlds, you get to ride with fun peeps and you can still ride your own ride.

3 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

The speed of the ride leader, or other riders in NO WAY should affect your speed.

Your speed should be based on your skill, confidence, and how you prefer to be riding that day.  End of story.

If I'm content following the rider in front of me, I'll stay there.  If not, I may pass in a straight, or the next time we change roads.  If I want to chill, I'll either drop way back, or let someone know that I'm going to split off and do my own thing.  In any case...I am riding MY ride.

I agree completely.  I never try to keep up to the point that I'm in over my head.  But having someone slightly faster helps me go a little faster if that makes any sense.  If I can't keep up at all, I just fall back and ride alone.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

But having someone slightly faster helps me go a little faster if that makes any sense.

Of course it makes sense.  You see the lines, you see what they do and it adds confidence because they are doing it. It's the cornerstone of the 'tow'.  We all do it to get better.

You just have to be careful not to get sucked in too far because the crash is going to happen not because you or your bike can't handle it.  It is going to happen because you THINK one of you is in over your head and you panic and do something retarded.

I know you know that, just pointing it out.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Of course it makes sense.  You see the lines, you see what they do and it adds confidence because they are doing it. It's the cornerstone of the 'tow'.  We all do it to get better.

You just have to be careful not to get sucked in too far because the crash is going to happen not because you or your bike can't handle it.  It is going to happen because you THINK one of you is in over your head and you panic and do something retarded.

following the riders ahead of you and focusing on their lines is one of the worst things you can do.  That in itself can cause crashes.

2 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Absolutely agree. Some of the folks on this board WILL make you a better rider because of it. @Tonik is one of them. I always try to ride about 75% of my comfort level just so that patch of gravel or slip in the road doesn't cause me to panic and do something silly

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, kbrok said:

Just ride at your own pace and don't worry about what other people are doing.  Everyone rides at their own level

Yes, but if that was the case I'd never get better.  Being pushed ever so slightly out of my comfort zone helps me see that I can go a little faster.  And whenever I have someone riding behind me, when I get the chance I always ask them if there's anything they think I can do better (this pertains to experienced riders following me).

And I'm speaking to riding curvy roads, not the ones near our house.

2 minutes ago, tall_tracy said:

Yes, but if that was the case I'd never get better.  Being pushed ever so slightly out of my comfort zone helps me see that I can go a little faster.  And whenever I have someone riding behind me, when I get the chance I always ask them if there's anything they think I can do better (this pertains to experienced riders following me).

And I'm speaking to riding curvy roads, not the ones near our house.

When I started wanting to be a serious rider, and not someone who happened to own a motorcycle...I was lucky enough to ride with some highly talented, sensible riders (CORE).  They were many levels above me in those days.  They could ride much faster and make it look way easier.

I picked their brains every chance I got about body position, lines, suspension, etc.  I'd ask them to follow me and critique.  I used gas stops like a 10 minutes riding lesson.  IMO that was the best way to learn how to correctly ride a motorcycle...I never quite did get the track day bug.      

• Upvote 1

This is why I like to run sweep. I don't hold anyone up and I make sure that everyone makes it to the next turn in the road. I don't have to impress anyone with anything other than the fact I made it to home at the end of the day. I've only been on a couple of rides with the group, but routinely ride with @JustinNck1 who is considerably faster than I. We both know that when I slack back, he takes off and eventually I will catch back up. Just ride your ride and don't worry about it. Unless its stated from the get go that the pace will be Mach Retard, then Caveat Emptor.