Slingshot review.

Tonik

I did like that they let us run pretty free.  You can tell some people hadn't driven a stick in awhile with all the chirps and burnouts leaving the place.

It'll spin the tire in 3rd if you "yut ugh" it good.  It was a blast to drive.

Edited by Disclaimer
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

That is a very accurate description of it.

dune buggy conversion to win. giant sand tire on the rear, rooster tail for days and all the donuts you could ever dream of (figuratively speaking). 

• Upvote 1

Justin did a quick facebook review where he posted (in response to my question) the horsepower and curb weights of teh slingshot, and the miata.

I'll spoil it for you - the slingshot is more powerful, and lighter ...but that tends to happen when you don't have to meet NHTSA crash standards.  I'd be curious to see how the slingshot fairs in minor accidents, being that it's a motorcycle, technically.

Someone on the East side has a slingshot.  I've seen it around a couple of times.  I smile and gawk when I see it, but I can't imagine living with one... Living with a Miata, on the other hand, I can rationalize.  And I have to believe there's enough aftermarket for the Miata to close the power:weight gap.

2 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

And I have to believe there's enough aftermarket for the Miata to close the power:weight gap.

There is.  It's a Chevy 4 cylinder, can't recall which but a dude had one at State 8 Saturday.  Turbo, intercooler, ecu...lots of crap under the hood. 

if my memory is correct, it's about 700 lbs. difference in curb weight, and the miata has a 45ish hp deficit.     In combination, the slingshot should be a lot quicker, if it can maintain traction with one rear tire.

It's cool - i'm just not sure it's cool enough for the sticker price.

Full review...

Positives: Fun (but, could die)

Negatives: Could die (but, fun)

Rating: B+

Though if I'm being honest and having realistic expectations of the Slingshot, the only complaints I had were the price, and the brakes.  The brakes seem very underpowered for something that size.  You can argue about the storage space, daily practicality, "value", but it's a toy and that should be your expectation going into it.  

You should be demo-ing used minivans if you're looking for something practical.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

if my memory is correct, it's about 700 lbs. difference in curb weight, and the miata has a 45ish hp deficit.     In combination, the slingshot should be a lot quicker, if it can maintain traction with one rear tire.

It's cool - i'm just not sure it's cool enough for the sticker price.

I completely misread your post. I thought you were worried about the modded HP of the slingshot.

I get people coming thru my BRS class to get an M endorsement to dive this thing... Any boy do they have no idea how to ride a bike... And by all means, they don't need to. It looks like a car, sounds like a car, stinks like a car, it's a freaking car. Why Ohio makes you have an M endorsement is beyond me. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, flashesbuck said:

I get people coming thru my BRS class to get an M endorsement to dive this thing... Any boy do they have no idea how to ride a bike... And by all means, they don't need to. It looks like a car, sounds like a car, stinks like a car, it's a freaking car. Why Ohio makes you have an M endorsement is beyond me. 

Smaller number of stupid people driving these things around. I'm fine with having to get an M endorsement. It's just one more level to weed out people.

Edited by TimTheAzn

I really wanted one of these when they came out, but wife kaibashed the idea (thank goodness).  I got the "yeah, its a Chevy engine with lots of turbo and stuff already available" speech from the dealer.  Regardless of power output, you're still running the same tire patch.   

After I thought about it, I kind of likened it to a JetSki/ Sea Doo:  Fun for about 20 minutes (maybe an hour in a Slingshot), then looking for hooliganism to keep yourself entertained.  

FWIW, I kind of hold the same view about side by sides.  Rented some up in Michigan last summer on the dunes, and drove the SxS for about 20 minutes.  Had a lot more fun on the Yamaha 350 2wd quad for the rest of the day.   

Just my .02

10 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Smaller number of stupid people driving these things around. I'm fine with having to get an M endorsement. It's just one more level to weed out people.

Technically you only need a trike endorsement. It's one level below motorcycle, ie you can ride a trike with an m endorsement but not the other way around. 

1 hour ago, flashesbuck said:

Why Ohio makes you have an M endorsement is beyond me. 

Because Polaris had it classified as a motorcycle to avoid crash laws and so on.

Edited by Tonik
  • Upvote 2

^ yep. 

Even Elio (if they ever actually start manufacturing) has brokered agreements in all 50 states to avoid helmet laws and M endorsement issues.  Then again, they may have had to add the canopy for those concessions, and I know they were planning to meet at least the minimum crash rating for a car, rather than avoiding the ratings and requirements.

As for the "it's a toy" attitude, I agree, but it's unfortunate that they chose to make it that way.  Practicality matters for something that takes up a whole garage space.  Who is their target market?  I feel like people with $27k burning a hole in their pocket, but not enough skill or desire to just buy a motorcycle are going to buy a Mustang before they look twice at a Slingshot.

You don't get noticed in a Mustang.

Truth is, you're preaching to the choir, I'd probably make the practical choice of a Miata or Mustang because I'm wired that way, but there are worse mistakes you could make with $30k.  Factor in the used market, and it may only cost you $10k to drive one for 5 years vs. those two cars above which are probably the same or worse.

Don't look at it as buying, you're "renting an experience for an amount of time of your choosing" :)