NC helmet law change

hiro

1 hour ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

The injury severity vs helmet no helmet cost has very little to do with what your insurance premium is. In most cases you don't even get med pay unless you add it on to your policy. Then you buy a specific dollar amount. How much you need depends on how good your present medical insurance is. Have none or it is crap well you need to buy a bunch. It is more supplemental than primary. I personally only carry 1K because my work insurance is very good. Cost---27 bucks a year for all 4 bikes. The major determination in your premium is which vehicle you choose to own and insure. Other factors are the county you live in,credit rating,driving record and a few more. My premium on all 4 bikes is 570 dollars a year. Full coverage w/250 deductible. 100/300 liability. Under/uninsured motorist,roadside assistance w/trip interuption. Progressive has just come out with another add on that is called enhanced injury protection. It pays 250 bucks a week for up 2 two years if injured and 25K if you need a pine box. I just added that at 109 bucks a year. For comparison when I added the FJR1300 my premium went up $193. I had my my wife run a quote to add on a 2012 GSXR1000 to the policy----1596 bucks just for the GSXR. So in essence I/Comps have targets on certain vehicles and charge accordingly. They have us by the balls. I wanted to get a Doberman Pincher when I retired but  my homeowners insurance company said if you do get one we will drop you. They are on the bad doggy hit list. Also Progressive has just implemented the disappearing deductible in Ohio----deductible drops 25% per yearly renewal if you have no claims. Yes my wife is a licensed agent but we get no discounts because of that. 

Imma check into Progressive again before I move.

• 3 weeks later...

Max your Med pay out if you can afford it. I keep mine at 10k per person per accident for auto and 25k for my bike. I pay $1400 a year for 2 cars with maxed out BIPD and UMUIM limits. 500 deductibles rental and pay off coverage for th wife's SUV. And bike insurance with $100 deductibles is $250 a year. 

The theory behind maxing out Med pay is if you have to either go out of network or max out your deductible you're not paying anything out of pocket if you're found at fault in the accident and get hurt. 

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, zx3vfr said:

Max your Med pay out if you can afford it. I keep mine at 10k per person per accident for auto and 25k for my bike. I pay $1400 a year for 2 cars with maxed out BIPD and UMUIM limits. 500 deductibles rental and pay off coverage for th wife's SUV. And bike insurance with $100 deductibles is $250 a year. 

The theory behind maxing out Med pay is if you have to either go out of network or max out your deductible you're not paying anything out of pocket if you're found at fault in the accident and get hurt. 

Now add a 1 million liability rider for about 50 bucks a year.  The right one will cover medical when yours or theirs runs out along with everything else. Yea, I'm over insured. F' it, I am fine with that.

BTW, one life flight will eat up that 25K in a heartbeat.  They are all almost always out of network.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Tonik said:

Now add a 1 million liability rider for about 50 bucks a year.  The right one will cover medical when yours or theirs runs out along with everything else. Yea, I'm over insured. F' it, I am fine with that.

BTW, one life flight will eat up that 25K in a heartbeat.  They are all almost always out of network.

If I need a life flight I have a gun a carry with me. I'd probably just end myself. At least if it's my own doing 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, zx3vfr said:

If I need a life flight I have a gun a carry with me. I'd probably just end myself. At least if it's my own doing 

Or you could carry a little pill. Just don't get it mixed up with Tic Tacs.