Battery making high pitched hum.

Tpoppa

So battery on my VFR was completely dead.  My fault.

I put it on my battery tender and it was making a high pitched humming sound.  It didn't appear to be taking a charge at first, but after a few hours it started charging (and the noise stopped).  I let it charge overnight and now it seems fine.

Anyone ever hear a battery making noise like that when on a charger?     

I would bet it was just gassing like they often do when charging and the gas was passing over a hole just right to make that noise. Like blowing across the top of a beer bottle, or my dick. Hit it with a volt meter and start it, make sure it doesn't drop too low as it starts.  If it doesn't you should be good.

23 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

It wasn't hissing or boiling, I've heard overcharged batteries do that before.  It was definitely an electrical hum and just when it was connected to battery tender.

It seems OK now :dunno:

Yea, so electricity going through wires makes noise.  Usually you can't hear it, sometimes you can.

35 minutes ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

http://www.yuasabatteries.com/pdfs/TechManual_2014.pdf      Page 13 Tony. It was probably just internal resistance until it was able to accept some juice. Looks like you dodged a bullet. BT's sometimes won't charge a dead battery. 

That sounds like it.  It seems fine now, but it is a 7 year old battery.