Novice @ Mid-O Questions.

NightHawk_

Hey guys, So I was hoping to get in a track day or two this summer. I was going to go to NYST with some friends who ride (and live near) there, anyways I was going to go on a 'Rookie Day' - they have like teaching sessions, plus you follow instructors and build up speed, have suit rentals, etc.  Well, that kind of fell through so I'm back to lookin "local" and was wondering what I could expect from a Novice session at Mid-Ohio?

I've been riding for about 3 years now, takin' trips (was at the Tail of The Dragon last year - was awesome), as well riding most days when the weather permits. Though I didn't want to just jump into the track, because I know it's a whole different beast.

Thanks!

Novice at Mid Ohio is very structured. Novices are broken up into groups based on pace (you are not stuck in one group if you find you are faster/slower than tou thought). Just bump up or down based on how you are feeling. (Within N of course.) Groups are lead around by a CR that sets the pace and shows you the line. Pace picks up as the day goes on in all groups but no CR will leave you hanging. I believe you are lead around by instructors the entire day (but pace increases as the day goes on.)

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, NightHawk_ said:

Thing is I have nice gloves, they're just short cuff. Im not sure if it's worth it to buy gloves for a session - especially cause track time is expensive 

But then you'll have them... They aren't disposable.  You'll have them for years to come!

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, DerekClouser said:

But then you'll have them... They aren't disposable.  You'll have them for years to come!

22 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

Yeah... they aren't potato chips. 

No I totally agree, it's just I could use that $100+ towards the Track day, unfortunately I am on a limited budget :/

get the right gear... and you wont have to worry about it again.. if the right gloves are holding you back  go to iron pony and get a set of 50 buck gauntlets ...  this sport can be cheap (trackdays that is)  but you still need to set your self up right

• Upvote 2

haha dude I did track days sleeping in the back of a $500 trailer... with a $2000 daily driver  on closeout gear and street tires for 2-3 years  maaaaybe spend 400 a weekend  total.. travel days food everything  doing 1 weekend a month  so what maybe 1600 bucks a year?

now... now I refuse to add it up as i'll most likely burn my garage down.... 3 bikes, big truck, toyhauler, 3 gennys, 3 sets of  race tires, gas, travel, food,  day expenses... ect....

but is the sport just as fun in the beginning as now.. absolutely... just don't play "keeping up with the joneses"

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

haha dude I did track days sleeping in the back of a $500 trailer... with a $2000 daily driver  on closeout gear and street tires for 2-3 years  maaaaybe spend 400 a weekend  total.. travel days food everything  doing 1 weekend a month  so what maybe 1600 bucks a year?

What were track fees when you were able to do a full weekend for $400?

I could MAYBE have done a weekend at Nelson Ledges for $400, but only because it was super cheap fees, and close to me, without any tolls.

$195/day or $365/weekend at Mid-Ohio.  PIRC is up over $200/day for the full course, which is all anybody wants to run.

I think $500/weekend is about as cheap as you can get away with, if you're realistic about tire wear and the like.

$365 for the fees, (plus $10 for gate?), then figure you burn $15 in gas pulling the bike to and from the track, and burn $5 in gas riding.  Somehow I always managed to spend $10 on ice, and another $10 on bottled water, gatorade, etc.   I won't count the cost of food, because you'd eat at home anyway, but I could only live off PB&J at the track so many times.  I usually end up going out to dinner and spending a few bucks more than I would have at home.  at $300/set (which I think is generously cheap), I would use a rear tire up in 2 weekends, and a front in 4 weekends. Assuming $180 and $120 for rear/front, that's $90/weekend on a rear tire and $30/weekend on the front, so $120 in tire wear.  Generator gas or paying for electricity at the track adds a few more dollars, beer, and then the possibility of crashing.

We're well over $500 with zero frills and no crashes.  If I factored in the higher cost of track time at PIRC, and the insane tolls the PA turnpike charges for an additional axle on the trailer, I'd be up over $600 before we even get to the Italian restaurant or the skeezy strip club (both of which are essential).

It's all worth it, but this is why I'm currently racing mountain bikes and the only motorcycle I own has 6hp...

20 hours ago, Jester_ said:

If you need some.gloves let me know when you are going. 

I have a spare set of A* gp pro you can use if they fit. 

9 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

^ To that end, idk what your dimensions are, but I have a suit that you could buy to get you going.

Wow, I really appreciate it! I am not sure what my Dimensions are yet, havent measured. I just ordered a $40 pair of Speed and Strength Gauntlet Gloves. So now Im just "missing" the suit, which I'm fine with renting, because on the very slim off chance I dont like it I dont want to have a suit hangin around. Im currently looking at the July days and/or August! I think I saw there was an O.R's Trackday thing in August as well!

1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

What were track fees when you were able to do a full weekend for $400?

I could MAYBE have done a weekend at Nelson Ledges for $400, but only because it was super cheap fees, and close to me, without any tolls.

$195/day or $365/weekend at Mid-Ohio.  PIRC is up over $200/day for the full course, which is all anybody wants to run.

I think $500/weekend is about as cheap as you can get away with, if you're realistic about tire wear and the like.

$365 for the fees, (plus $10 for gate?), then figure you burn $15 in gas pulling the bike to and from the track, and burn $5 in gas riding.  Somehow I always managed to spend $10 on ice, and another $10 on bottled water, gatorade, etc.   I won't count the cost of food, because you'd eat at home anyway, but I could only live off PB&J at the track so many times.  I usually end up going out to dinner and spending a few bucks more than I would have at home.  at $300/set (which I think is generously cheap), I would use a rear tire up in 2 weekends, and a front in 4 weekends. Assuming $180 and $120 for rear/front, that's $90/weekend on a rear tire and $30/weekend on the front, so $120 in tire wear.  Generator gas or paying for electricity at the track adds a few more dollars, beer, and then the possibility of crashing.

We're well over $500 with zero frills and no crashes.  If I factored in the higher cost of track time at PIRC, and the insane tolls the PA turnpike charges for an additional axle on the trailer, I'd be up over $600 before we even get to the Italian restaurant or the skeezy strip club (both of which are essential).

It's all worth it, but this is why I'm currently racing mountain bikes and the only motorcycle I own has 6hp...

stt weekends  way back in the day with memberships and whatnot around 165 a day... 300-330 for a weekend.  don't count lunch have to eat anyways. bought 2-3 gallons of water at walmart for 5 bucks. snacks well same pbj and  cheapo chips... tires would last me in 2009 6-7 days a rear and a go through 2 fronts a year...(no street riding) no gate fees at Putnam  or mid ohio all I went to for years.  still 400 no more than 450 for an entire weekend.

4 hours ago, NightHawk_ said:

Wow, I really appreciate it! I am not sure what my Dimensions are yet, havent measured. I just ordered a $40 pair of Speed and Strength Gauntlet Gloves. So now Im just "missing" the suit, which I'm fine with renting, because on the very slim off chance I dont like it I dont want to have a suit hangin around. Im currently looking at the July days and/or August! I think I saw there was an O.R's Trackday thing in August as well!

You don't happen to know your suit size would you? I have an extra that you could borrow if you don't want to rent.

• Upvote 1