blue72beetle

Pay attention to your chain

My clip was already missing one cleaning. being worn may have helped keep the plate  in a groove.

And of course you haveta buy a whole new link can't sell the clips separate.  

Edited by motocat12

2 hours ago, Tonik said:

You got balls man, I would never have been able to ride it like that.

I started off cautious the next day, but after a stop or 2 it was still there and then I rode it normal. My thoughts when I did lose my engineered clip were, it held this far.  So, that made it safe to ride it like I stole it again once I replaced it right. It never seemed to separate at all. You call it balls others probably call it stupid. Thankfully I had no issues and replaced the master as soon as I got home and threw an extra under the seat. 

2 hours ago, jschaf said:

Rivits are better.  Never felt the need to remove a chain that wasn't being replaced.

I would agree that rivets are better.  That was all I could find when I purchased a new chain for the 1000. I definitely feel it is more secure. We won't talk about the fact that I pushed my luck once again taking the OEM chain to 27,000 miles before replacing it. 

14 hours ago, durk said:

What Tonik said. I pulled a clip type link before my first trip to the Tail and midway through the clip was missing. I pulled it for the same reason, to soak it in kerosene to clean it. I did some hillbilly engineering once I noticed it missing at a hotel and finished the trip. I would not recommend it. 

hk6CZqi.jpg

I probably made that same Twist link 4-5 times on that trip. I kept losing it. 

Never use a clip type master link on a street bike over 250cc! I have seen to many clips fail on the street. Purchase the proper rivet tool. Many have lost bikes, skin, and life when a chain comes undone.

17 hours ago, durk said:

Just wanted to mention that good hardware stores often have links and half links available. Or out of stock, lol. Used to always carry them, back-in-the-day for broken chains, and still put a few in my toolkit even though I use riveted chain.

Mine broke at the clip. I was going to say No More Clips, but then I remembered it lasted 19,000 miles with no problems.

I took all yer advice and took my quick link off.

The clip anyway, the plate is fused on. I know it springs the pins outward but no pushing pulling or squeezing budged it.  I had figured why guess at the chain condition when you can open a link and look. If the clip will come off after replacing it'll come off the first time you install it. Just put it round end rotating forward Some chains do require a big squeeze, maybe warming up the orings would help? my last new chain (DID 520)bent the clip like a taco. Rode to a track shop buddies and he said to just keep pushing and it flattened out.

So clean and lube and get a chain next week. I use the see if the chain is loose when pulled in back of the sprocket test and it's had little play. One bike had a warning sticker on the swingarm telling you how bad the chain was based on where the axle located(stock gears only /proper slack)

689d1192338267-swingarm-chain-tensioner-

@NinjaDoc

NJDRr.jpg

hahahaha reinstalling his chain

uhhh all the nopes

You guys are nuts, I replace my chain and sprockets every year with the oil.

• Upvote 1