Isaac's Papa

Cherohala Challenge 2017

24 posts in this topic

Picked up Frantz at his house and left for Tellico Plains this morning. Shitty weather through WV h VA, but TN has been beautiful. Tomorrow's weather looks a little hot but clear and not terribly humid. Had some Italian food at a local place and it was tasty. Excellent salad dressing that is made in house. Got carded for beer at Walgreens. I was told it's state law to card every single person that buys alcohol, every age. Seems silly to me. So, Lyns bought the beer as I walked to the restaurant and didn't have my identification on my person. 

Nerves have mostly subsided and have been replaced with excited restlessness. Looking forward to an amazingly beautiful ride tomorrow. 

20170616_091137.jpg

Edited by Isaac's Papa

Good luck guys. 

I was on the Cherohala Wednesday, LOTS of downed trees being cleaned up, and tons of crap on the road(from the storms that rolled through on Memorial Day weekend).

I hope they get that all cleaned up, as I'd not want to ride a bicycle with it in the shape I saw it.

Have fun and stay safe!

4 hours ago, BadTrainDriver said:

I was on the Cherohala Wednesday, LOTS of downed trees being cleaned up, and tons of crap on the road(from the storms that rolled through on Memorial Day weekend).

I hope they get that all cleaned up, as I'd not want to ride a bicycle with it in the shape I saw it.

Have fun and stay safe!

There were no downed trees when we all were there last weekend. 

4 hours ago, Casper said:

There were no downed trees when we all were there last weekend. 

There were reports of downed trees and power outages for both the Sweetwater Utilities Board and Fort Loudoun Electric Cooperative when an intense bowing line of storms slammed into East Tennessee late Saturday night, but nearby Roane, Loudon, Blount, Morgan and Knox Counties got by far the worst end of the deal. The National Weather Service in Morristown said a long-lived wind event known as a derecho, which originated in Missouri earlier in the day, traveled more than 240 miles into East Tennessee packing winds of 70 to 80 mph per hour in some locations when it arrived Saturday night.

“A National Weather Service storm survey team investigated storm damage in Morgan, Roane, Loudon, Knox and Blount counties,” the National Weather Service said. “These storms did exhibit some weak rotation aloft on radar at times as the line of storms passed through these counties, but no tornado paths were found by the survey team. The majority of the damage consisted of downed trees with damage to structures due to trees falling on the structures. Winds within the damage areas were estimated at 70-80 mph. The overall event that marched through the area was a derecho, with widespread thunderstorm wind damage. Within the derecho, a bow echo surged forward in these counties where the strongest winds were indicated.”

Included Graham county NC.

Unlike you, I'll actually post the article instead of just a link...

Holy crap. I'm so tired, but what an incredible ride. The Gap on a road bike is so much fun. 

The ride beat me and Dan and Lyns. Lyns is the only one of us three to make it to the top and she did so without walking one inch of that 85 miles. I was feeling good and had a bit of a glucose emergency and took a ride the last 8 miles to the top. I refueled and got my brain back in order and shit back down the hill to Lyns who was churning along at 4 mph. She was so tired she had to stop every mile or so to drink her water. She couldn't handle drinking while moving because she was so physically exhausted. Zero fucks given and she was determined to get to the top. Once up there we decided it was time to swallow our pride and take a ride back down the hill. Sucked, but it was the right call. I'll beat that fucker next year. It's fucking on now, bitches. 

I'll let Frantz post about his adventure. 

20170617_160530.jpg

20170617_103451.jpg

20170617_095327.jpg

20170617_114902.jpg

I did the 62 with around 8200 feet of climb. I managed to finish the entire thing without walking. It sucked major ass. The ride goes from tellico to the top off the Skyway. Man it whipped my ass and really sucked seeing 4mph at times. Screw that 115 ride.

20170617_151255.jpg

20170617_123103.jpg

20170617_090005.jpg

Totally awesome accomplishment guys. Your married to one tough Chick Pauly. Many fucks given to all of you ‼️

This ride is total bullshit. If Paul recommends it to you punch him in the dick.

Totally awesome, mad re5p3kT yo,  wish I had 10% of the will power and dedication you guys had. Currently I can't even imagine myself doing this let alone wishing to do it one day. 

Good job! What was the steepest grade on the route? Looks amazing!

Nice work. Makes me regret eating like a fat pig tonight at Texas Roadhouse. 

7 hours ago, durk said:

Nice work. Makes me regret eating like a fat pig tonight at Texas Roadhouse. 

I'm with you Durk but that big Fort Worth ribeye is a bomb digity chunk of meat. Medium of course. Don't forget a couple brews. 🍺🍺

8 hours ago, ricer1 said:

I'll have to check the data on Lyns' computer later. I ran totally unplugged and just enjoyed the ride. I do know that the last 14 miles from the start of the skyway to the top was a 4k' climb. 

I know mine has art least a 9% for somewhere between 1/2 to a 1 mile. I'll check when I get home and get the data uploaded.

Edited by blue03636

So who's coming next year, I'll be doing the 62 again to hopefully improve on my time.

7 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

this year's already over?:(

Well I'm not even attempting the skyway without support. 

On 6/17/2017 at 7:36 PM, Al Z. Heimer said:

Totally awesome accomplishment guys. Your married to one tough Chick Pauly. Many fucks given to all of you ‼️

+1 Jerry.   

I just picked up a Specialized Hybrid Crosstrail a few months ago. Trying to get back into it a bit after 30 years away from it. My ass is getting kicked on 20mile rides with wimpy climbs.  I have NO concept of the cardio/physical endurance necessary to even attempt what you folks just did...

Awesome freaking job!!!

Congrats all, sounds like a great time of feeling miserable on bikes! Interested in next year!

On 6/17/2017 at 10:58 PM, ricer1 said:

I finally looked over my data. The 9% is a mile long, there is a 11% section for 0.6 miles and 19% for 0.3 miles. The rest is 2-7% for miles and you never think it will end.