Smokey Mountain Breakdown, Dirty

B-Mac

Here is my report on the SM500 route four of us did June 7-11

Two Honda AT's one V-Strom one KTM990 and a rental Suzuki DR650. Should have more photo's from the other guy's soon.

sm500%20camper%20map-X2.jpg

Smokey Mountain Breakdown

Four riders met at Tellico Plains, TN. for a lap of the SM500 on 7 June. We stayed overnight at the Farmhouse Inn in Tellico. Parked our trucks and trailers in the field and took off counterclockwise on the morning of the 8th. Pat and Craig on Honda AT’s D.C. on his KTM990 and I brought up the rear on my Suzuki V2. We just came off Starr Mt. on dirt forest roads and I decided to snatch a wheelie over the concert bridge that crosses Bullet creek. Much to my surprise I heard the chain spin and engine rev with no results. I immediately thought countershaft sprocket. I did not have a sprocket with me so we got set up to tow and decided to go back and get the truck and recover the bike. Got the bike back to the Farmhouse Inn and the owner Kyle has the garage opened and tools ready to assist in the repair. His wife Laura hands me a post-it with the number to a bike shop that has my sprocket on hand. Once I open things up I see it’s more that a new sprocket will fix so it’s off to Townsend, TN. to rent the only bike that is not reserved for the weekend, a 2001 Suzuki DR650. The rest of the group started back on the route again and we decided to meet up at our first night pre-determined motel spot in Helen, GA. I had a two hour asphalt ride on the DR to make the meet up spot. I stopped for fuel and coffee half way and called the crew only to find out that Craig had fallen off a drop off on the side of a forest road. Bike and rider were banged up a bit but they were still functional. (Sorry no photos from them yet) We met up and had a Beer night in Helen.

Day two we headed north toward Suches, GA. to hit the route once again. After a night in the German tourist town of Helen, GA. We were ready to ride, well maybe Craig stayed out a little late and missed breakfast. Not a good thing to do when you are on a brand new bike with little off road time and just escaped death falling 20ft. off a road the day before. Sure enough we hit the most difficult section and Craig’s bike was trying to climb a dirt wall on the side of a hill. “Crash” bike/rider sore but ok. We got into a section where fresh bluestone had been spread unevenly for about 3 miles. Craig washed the front of his AT out that started as a low slide but hit the ditch on the left and ended up high side into the embankment. Then of course since he was a newb and was having a rough day I decided to drench him with muddy poo water just to make sure he will think twice about staying out all night drinking and dragging ass in the AM.

Day three we hooked back on the route and headed to Tellico Plains, TN. Crashing Craig decided to take it easy with his black and blue heel and shin and ride a leisurely route back to the Truck’s taking in the Cherohala Skyway. The rest of us completed the route stopping at Tellico where I picked up Craig’s Honda AT and road the rest of the section. Craig and Pat loaded up and drove home to Michigan that night while Dave and I stayed over at the Farmhouse Inn and drove home in the AM dropping the DR650 rental off in Townsend, TN. on the way. We had a great time, even with a breakdown and multiple crashes by Craig. Thanks to Andy 29847 for shearing the route gpx. To Dan, at GSM rental and our friends, Kyle and Laura at the Farmhouse inn in Tellico plains. I hope the crew provides photos of Craig’s cliff diving. B-Mac out.

• Upvote 1