Ear Plugs, What are you using?

JustinNck1

On 6/17/2017 at 11:46 PM, mango_sv said:

https://www.plugfones.com/hearing-protection/motorcycle-earplugs/

Hearing protection and music in one. You can typically find them at Menards with the other hearing protection. For $25, they are great. 

I use these as well when I want to listen to music, I use it with a Bluetooth clip with play/pause, volume, and next/previous controls on it. It's a very good setup for the price, I think it's nearly impossible to do better than that for a noisy outdoor solution unless you spend $150+

When I don't use that, I use these green contoured disposable plugs. I think Kroger sells identical ones or at least used to. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00IZCHYH2?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_yo_pop_mb_pd_t2

My headphone buds work well as ear plugs. Some do, some don't. But... after buying a nice Bell helmet that fits well, I don't need anything more than the helmet. It works. Putting the headphone buds on, actually increases wind/road noise. When the music is off, it's very obvious. The fit and quality of the helmet and the shape of the head has to be good, to expect results. If anything, I'd say the new helmet fits on the tight side, but doesn't feel uncomfortable after 600 miles of wearing it. The earphone buds hurt after a few hundred miles, so I take them off.

• Upvote 1

$20 for three ear plugs?  Pffft.  What's the third one for?  Do I want to know?

Cheapest is to buy a bunch (can usually get box of 200 pr.) of 3M EAR,  Howard Leight, or whatever, for $20 and throw them out after every ride.  The foam can retain bad stuff and ear infections aren't fun.  At least for most people.

Short rides and commutes are okay and methinks it's good sometimes to listen for bike gremlins.

I used to get minor irritation from foam plugs after long stretches and when they seal well, you'll get an ear pop when you pull them.  Saw the MotoGP guys licking the disposables before using them.  Thought at first they just like having slender objects in their mouths.  But a little lube makes everything better.  Now no pop or discomfort.  Plus me go fast now.

2 hours ago, DAC said:

$20 for three ear plugs?  Pffft. 

I used to get minor irritation from foam plugs after long stretches and when they seal well, you'll get an ear pop when you pull them.

You answered your own question. My $20 filtered ear plugs still look good as new after a year and 30k miles. Easily washable and much more comfortable than foam for me.