Ear Plugs, What are you using?

JustinNck1

26 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Thats Depend. No s.

Depends was in answer to Hiros question. Depends on ambient air temp, relative density of the foam, how long the have been in your ears, temp of your ear canal and believe it or not even your current altitude can impact the expansion recovery speed of foam plugs.

Or you can just put them back in your ears and ride. Thats what I do 

I've just noticed they don't work as well if I put them back in too soon. Could just carry multiple pairs and use different ones.

• 4 weeks later...

I like these - DownBeat molded re-useable plugs. They provide 18 dB reduction, mostly for high pitch sounds and really reduce wind noise that I get from my helmet. I use them with my Sena and the quality of the music is pretty good. The painful part is when I forget to turn down the volume when I don't have the plugs in.

The typical disposable foam plugs provide more reduction at 29-32 dB but cover a broader frequency range and leave me feeling like I'm missing traffic sounds.

https://www.amazon.com/DownBeats-Reusable-Fidelity-Hearing-Protection/dp/B00A3Z44RM?th=1

Had some hi dollar custom molded units made back in the day.   They suck ass.  Nothing comes close to good old disposable foam plugs.  I prefer Howard leight, Max Lite plugs.

• Upvote 1

Early on into my motorcycling career I noticed ear ringing. Looked into it, and found that wind noise inside a helmet can reach volumes in excess of 120 db. That's loud folks.

Now, I'm uncomfortable riding even short distances without hearing protection. When Shannon and I got the Senas to communicate, I noticed I had a hard time hearing the speakers inside the helmet. So I've wired earbuds into the helmet to the Sena, and I use noise isolating foam tips that attach to most earbuds. They work great. They cancel just as much noise as ear plugs, and I have my wife hard wired into my brain for all two-up riding.

I did a lot of research to find these foam tips. There are alternatives that cost more, but none of them are better.
https://www.amazon.com/Rebound-Fidelity-Earphone-Earbud-Tips/dp/B01H6IEPDG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1500571560&sr=8-1&keywords=earbud+foam+rebound

On 6/18/2017 at 5:02 PM, TimTheAzn said:

I prefer these. Only use the black ones though.

image.jpeg

LOL That brought to mind the Family Guy episode where Lois yells "Oh My God, u kids are doing it in the ears. You're gonna get brain damage!"

• Haha 1

I just let my bikes are going to the dragstrip ruin my hearing over time and had a ruptured ear drum at one point.  seems to do the trick better then any brand of earplugs I have ever owned

• 10 months later...
25 minutes ago, jamesflood1 said:

I have bought a new motorcycle. I was experiencing a hearing problem while riding. I think I need to use a hearing protection when ride a bike? But I cannot decide which will better for me to avoid the problem?

33 db protection is the highest you can get in a foam plug. Most are actually 32 db. Which is plenty.

Honestly, it's which ever brand feels best to you. I prefer the ones that are super soft... I can get them all the way in better. The ones I use are linked below.

If that isn't enough you can get custom plugs made that fit into your ear and also fill the while outer ear area. They are super effective.

https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-Visibility-Disposable/dp/B0007XJOLG?keywords=ear+plugs&qid=1528483400&sr=8-5&ref=mp_s_a_1_5

12 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Most old fuckers don't. I am the rare exception.

I'll normally commute to/from work (about 8 miles) without earplugs because its so short of a trip (about 8 miles, and don't get over 60mph, briefly).  I wish I'd put them in every time i do it.   Frankly it's downright painful.

22 minutes ago, Qman said:

I'll normally commute to/from work (about 8 miles) without earplugs because its so short of a trip (about 8 miles, and don't get over 60mph, briefly).  I wish I'd put them in every time i do it.   Frankly it's downright painful.

If I do a short run like for gas for the next morning.....it feels down right weird without them.

1 hour ago, Steve Butters said:

Am I the only one who doesn't wear ear plugs? The wind never bothers me. 

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Probably because you are 1/2 deaf already.

44 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Most old fuckers don't. I am the rare exception.

What?

Edited by Bubba
  • Beer 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Butters said:

Am I the only one who doesn't wear ear plugs? The wind never bothers me. 

I'm the same way, never wore ear plugs on the bike, I listen to music (Sena) on the bike. When I go to Motogp or MotoAmerica races I use ear plugs and when I go to plants for work they require ear plugs. I will probably pay the price with hearing loss when I am older.... wait I'm already old! 

18 minutes ago, jacobhawkins said:

Katie said something the other day, probably need to throw some away.

Man, I hope my wife never makes me choose between her and my earplugs.

• Haha 2