hiro

Three Shoei (tachi?)

27 posts in this topic

Shoei helmets. Do you have any of these and what are your thoughts about them?

GT-Air

RF-1200

RF-SR

My HJC FG-17 is killing me. The NOISE! (Also, it used to kill my forehead, so I'm thinking the shape isn't a perfect match.) I know wind noise is a complex interaction of turbulence, position, bike structure...but I'm wondering if a more expensive helmet may help /enough/ to keep me riding. I do wear foam ear plugs, but my ears are ringing just sitting here. The noise comes from the base of the helmet, maybe more towards the back. I like to be leaned forward a little, rarely tuck, never fully upright. And I plan to move to NC, so heat might be a factor, but noise is a deal breaker. I've tried a Windjammer II which just doesn't work for me. Wearing a neck gaiter does help, but it's summer! As it is now, I can only imagine short rides and/or not exceeding 50mph. This is no way to live!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Shoei or Arai helmets as long as the fit your head shape. My current helmet is a Shoei Neotec and my previous helmet was a Shoei Qwest (Replaced by the RF-SR now). Definitely see if you can try them on somewhere. Mike at @RidersDiscount can hook you up with an awesome deal on one.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have both the GT-Air and the RF-1200.  My first helmet was a Scorpion that wasn't doing me any favors.  When I got the RF1200, it was worlds better (for me).  There wasn't as much noise as the Scorpion, and the availability of a Transitions self-tinting shield was amazeballs.  I was happy with it.  Fast forward a year or two and being on a naked bike, the RF1200 wasn't doing it's job as it used to on my R6 (it was noisy & started giving me pressure on my forehead), I guess that tiny R6 windscreen actually does something??  A month or so ago I purchased the GT-Air from Riders Discount and once I went riding with it, I couldn't believe the difference from the RF1200.  The GT-Air was quieter - probably in part because of the thicker padded chin curtain, which I haven't removed because I've read that this helps reduce wind noise within this particular helmet.  I took it on my moto-camping adventure and had no issues with it at all.

I have a completely naked bike, no tiny windscreen or anything.  You've at least got a decent windscreen on the 650 but depending on how tall you are, the buffeting from it could hit you in a weird spot.  My 650 seemed to hit me right in the helmet/visor/chin area, but that's because I'm freakishly tall.

I like the GT-Air, but you've got fairings so the RF1200 might work for you.  IMO, you can't really go wrong with Shoei (as long as it fits your melon).  ;)

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tall_tracy said:

I have both the GT-Air and the RF-1200.  My first helmet was a Scorpion that wasn't doing me any favors.  When I got the RF1200, it was worlds better (for me).  There wasn't as much noise as the Scorpion, and the availability of a Transitions self-tinting shield was amazeballs.  I was happy with it.  Fast forward a year or two and being on a naked bike, the RF1200 wasn't doing it's job as it used to on my R6 (it was noisy & started giving me pressure on my forehead), I guess that tiny R6 windscreen actually does something??  A month or so ago I purchased the GT-Air from Riders Discount and once I went riding with it, I couldn't believe the difference from the RF1200.  The GT-Air was quieter - probably in part because of the thicker padded chin curtain, which I haven't removed because I've read that this helps reduce wind noise within this particular helmet.  I took it on my moto-camping adventure and had no issues with it at all.

I have a completely naked bike, no tiny windscreen or anything.  You've at least got a decent windscreen on the 650 but depending on how tall you are, the buffeting from it could hit you in a weird spot.  My 650 seemed to hit me right in the helmet/visor/chin area, but that's because I'm freakishly tall.

I like the GT-Air, but you've got fairings so the RF1200 might work for you.  IMO, you can't really go wrong with Shoei (as long as it fits your melon).  ;)

On my Ninja 650, I raised the windscreen to maximum and it made horrific noise! In the lowest position, it's still better to have no windscreen at all. Never tried the middle position. I have been wanting to cut the windscreen down, but I'm just not ready to risk destroying it. I'm only about 5'8". (I wanted to go naked, but I went with the best deal overall.)

The chin curtain might help me. I have a weak chin and jaw line, I guess, and the curtain in the HJC is mesh and just touches the middle of my chin. I was planning to try stuffing some padding around the neck roll to see if snugging it up might help. The cheek pads used to be super tight! Painfully tight, but now they're good.

If you had pressure on your forehead with the RF-1200, but not the GT-Air, the GT-Air sounds better for me. Considering the HJC used to make my forehead burn!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, JustinNck1 said:

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the Shoei or Arai helmets as long as the fit your head shape. My current helmet is a Shoei Neotec and my previous helmet was a Shoei Qwest (Replaced by the RF-SR now). Definitely see if you can try them on somewhere. Mike at @RidersDiscount can hook you up with an awesome deal on one.

Yeah, RD deals is the only thing that make this an option at all!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hiro said:

Yeah, RD deals is the only thing that make this an option at all!

This is true, now give me your money. Ask @tall_tracy about that. :lol:

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, hiro said:

On my Ninja 650, I raised the windscreen to maximum and it made horrific noise! In the lowest position, it's still better to have no windscreen at all. Never tried the middle position. I have been wanting to cut the windscreen down, but I'm just not ready to risk destroying it. I'm only about 5'8". (I wanted to go naked, but I went with the best deal overall.)

The chin curtain might help me. I have a weak chin and jaw line, I guess, and the curtain in the HJC is mesh and just touches the middle of my chin. I was planning to try stuffing some padding around the neck roll to see if snugging it up might help. The cheek pads used to be super tight! Painfully tight, but now they're good.

If you had pressure on your forehead with the RF-1200, but not the GT-Air, the GT-Air sounds better for me. Considering the HJC used to make my forehead burn!

Try a different chin curtain to see if that does anything maybe?  I forgot to add that I went up a size with the GT-AIR.  It's worth trying on anything you might buy because not all helmets fit the same, even from the same manufacturer.  Hopefully there's someplace close that you can try something on before you buy?

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RidersDiscount said:

This is true, now give me your money. Ask @tall_tracy about that. :lol:

He ain't lyin...  

From now on, I know to not respond to his posts that I like something - otherwise he eliminates all my questions/excuses and I find myself with new gear, etc.  

Not that it's a bad thing... it's just an expensive thing.  lol

3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hiro Not sure where you're located at, but make a trip somewhere that you can try each one on for the best fitment. I prefer the Shoei Neotec over just about everything except my Suomy Apex or Spec 1R. If I could squeeze a Sena into the Suomy I'd have gone with that, but decided that  a modular would fit my needs the best at the moment. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can definitely try on many helmets locally. I just can't take them out to check for killer wind noise! Maybe I should become one of those track-only people? (I'd have to start going to the track first. heh)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, hiro said:

I can definitely try on many helmets locally. I just can't take them out to check for killer wind noise! Maybe I should become one of those track-only people? (I'd have to start going to the track first. heh)

Them's fighting words!

I have an RF1200, loved it for the street. Better than the Bell I had before that.

I bought a Corsair V last year and loved it. Unfortunately I can no longer wear that helmet as it's hit the ground. I liked the Arai so much I gave Mike even more of my money for a Corsair X. Haven't ridden with it yet but I expect it to be just as good as it's predecessor if not better.

What I did notice is that the fit was better for me (with the Arai.) I have a pretty flat face and the Shoei stuck out from my face a fair bit. The Arai's stay closer to the front of my face and I like that.

Different strokes for different folks. Go to a place like Iron Pony and try a bunch of stuff on. That's probably the fastest way to find what you like and what fits you best. Some people have issues with trying something on at the Pony but buying somewhere else, I am not one of those people as I pretty much strictly use @RidersDiscount for anything and everything motorcycle related now.

As for wind noise, I wear earplugs so its relatively negligible. 

 

1 hour ago, tall_tracy said:

He ain't lyin...  

From now on, I know to not respond to his posts that I like something - otherwise he eliminates all my questions/excuses and I find myself with new gear, etc.  

Not that it's a bad thing... it's just an expensive thing.  lol

No, its a problem. :drink:

Edited by TimTheAzn
1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The forward ear is much quieter when my head is turned. Hmm...The frequency of the noise in the rearward ear goes from lower to higher and sounds smoother. If only I could grow a long beard.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now that I think of it, maybe the cheap pads are /too/ comfortable. Meaning loose. What are the odds that new cheek pads would reduce noise significantly?

And I'd like to try a different chin curtain if I can find one. I saw a photo showing a Scorpion curtain that was said to help. Looked like solid leather (vinyl.)

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@hiro rather than spending more and more money to try and improve that one, i think this might be a better option > 

just 139 brand new shiny helmet to your door, cant get better than that. Pauly was saying this one with its "pump" action "customization" cheek pad + curtain and shape was less noisy than his costly arai. Cant go wrong with this i guess. Get the right size and ensure your head shape is right and your golden with a ear plug.  Pm @RidersDiscount naaaaooooowww 

Edited by NinjaDoc
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably was worth a go, but they're out of size L. My FG-17 is a large, so I don't imagine medium would work. When I tried an Airmada, I think XL was more like it.

I'm also wondering if it's good for a more upright/leaned forward a little position, noise-wise.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, hiro said:

Probably was worth a go, but they're out of size L. My FG-17 is a large, so I don't imagine medium would work. When I tried an Airmada, I think XL was more like it.

I'm also wondering if it's good for a more upright/leaned forward a little position, noise-wise.

dont mean to be condescending, just making sure. You are measuring the head the right way right, and not just trying helmets on etc ? I think u must be because you seem to research a lot.  Just asking since when i started i was wearing a comfortable size XL helmet and once i got to know what i am doing i am now wearing a size small. Just a small difference :D 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My FG-17 used to cause me to bite the insides of my cheeks. I dreaded needing to put in on OR remove it. haha After a while it leaves a dent in my scalp still. It doesn't hurt my forehead like it used to, but it will after 90 minutes or more. (I guess part of that is the wind pushing back?) So, it fit pretty snug! The large Airmada, I almost couldn't get my head into it from what I remember. haha

My head is likely more oval than round.

Edited by hiro
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, I have used a measuring tape on my head. I learned that it's important to check if the tape has stretched at all! Check the ruler with another ruler.

 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2017 at 2:03 PM, hiro said:

Shoei helmets. Do you have any of these and what are your thoughts about them?

GT-Air

RF-1200

RF-SR

My HJC FG-17 is killing me. The NOISE! (Also, it used to kill my forehead, so I'm thinking the shape isn't a perfect match.) I know wind noise is a complex interaction of turbulence, position, bike structure...but I'm wondering if a more expensive helmet may help /enough/ to keep me riding. I do wear foam ear plugs, but my ears are ringing just sitting here. The noise comes from the base of the helmet, maybe more towards the back. I like to be leaned forward a little, rarely tuck, never fully upright. And I plan to move to NC, so heat might be a factor, but noise is a deal breaker. I've tried a Windjammer II which just doesn't work for me. Wearing a neck gaiter does help, but it's summer! As it is now, I can only imagine short rides and/or not exceeding 50mph. This is no way to live!

Allow me to recommend quality earplugs. Not the cheap foam ones. Go see an audiologist and get them made for you. World of difference. 

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK, so I tested some helmets. I found that the Shoei GT-Air and RF-1200 easily fit in large. BUT, removing the cheek pads and pressing the GT-Air forward opened up a gap in front of my forehead. In medium, it fit like a coconut shell and didn't move. So medium works if the cheek parts are changed immediately. I couldn't even get it over my head without changing the pads. The RF-1200 did squeeze onto my head, but the pads were overly tight.

The RF-1200 has a massive field of view, almost like not having a helmet on! I was just slightly concerned about the forehead based on @tall_tracy's experience. Plus, noise reduction in a more upright position is the primary concern. It's a sweet helmet though.

The RF-SR in large was way too loose. It was probably rounder, too. Didn't find a medium to try.

BTW, I saw Scorpion EXO-R2000's for $90! I have a photo of a tag to prove it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, nebbish said:

Allow me to recommend quality earplugs. Not the cheap foam ones. Go see an audiologist and get them made for you. World of difference. 

Probably worth a go. However, I did notice that if I press the chin of my helmet to one side, one side becomes quieter and the other noisier. Definitely related to a gap opening or closing next to my jaw. Also based on helmet testing today, I think my helmet is little larger than it needs to be due to a mismatch of crown shape. So, I'd try replacing the cheek pads first.

Cheek pads plus custom ear plugs are still less than a new Shoei, but then I have no reason to get a new helmet. What to do?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Question about how the pads fit over the ears in the GT-Air. It feels strange until I pull down on the pads under my ears. After that it feels like my ear is in the empty space, which feels better. Is that normal? Should I have to pull on the pads to make it more comfortable?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I used to have an HJC I used for years and decided I wanted a helmet that was better quality all the way around with an integrated tinted sun shield.  After a shit ton of research and trying on every option at the Pony, I decided on a GT-Air.  I have used it for a season and a half now and it's a fantastic helmet all the way around, they only thing I would change is to add another vent to move a little more air flow around the head for hot days, other than this I have no complaints.

1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Wolfman1 said:

I used to have an HJC I used for years and decided I wanted a helmet that was better quality all the way around with an integrated tinted sun shield.  After a shit ton of research and trying on every option at the Pony, I decided on a GT-Air.  I have used it for a season and a half now and it's a fantastic helmet all the way around, they only thing I would change is to add another vent to move a little more air flow around the head for hot days, other than this I have no complaints.

Did you have to change out the cheek pads? Did it feel more comfortable on the ears after pulling down on the pads right after putting the helmet on?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, hiro said:

Did you have to change out the cheek pads? Did it feel more comfortable on the ears after pulling down on the pads right after putting the helmet on?

No didn't change anything, they need time to conform to your face.  Mine felt just a little too tight at first and now it fits perfectly.  Love the tinted drop down sun visor, I used to have a fixed tinted visor on my HJC that was great for daytime, but sucked at night and I didn't want to have to cart around my clear visor every time I went on a long ride.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Similar Content

    • By RidersDiscount
      New for 2017, the Shoei RF-SR Helmet provides excellent protection at a great price.

      The RF-SR's 6-layer AIM+ shell construction and dual-layer EPS work together to redirect impact energy in the case of a crash. An Emergency Quick Release System (E.Q.R.S.) is built into the helmet to allow medical personnel to safely remove the cheek pads and helmet from an injured rider’s head.

      This helmet has an adjustable lower vent that is easy to use with riding gloves. Two upper air vents and two exhaust vents work together to allow cool air in and hot air out.

      Included with this helmet is a CWR-1 shield equipped with Pinlock EVO fog-resistant system. The shield has innovative ribs on the edges to help eliminate bending. The QR-E Base Plate System on this helmet not only makes changing shields easy, but also blocks out unwanted water and wind when closed.

      The Interior Comfort System is completely removable, washable, replaceable and adjustable. Multi-layer cheek pads (sold separately) allow you to customize the fit of this helmet.
      MSRP $399.00

      If you have any questions about the product or would like to place an order, feel free to give MIKE a call at 866.931.6644 ext. 804.  Is email more convenient?  Send us a private message through this forum or write to us at FORUM at RIDERSDISCOUNT dot COM and we'll get back to you right away!
    • By RidersDiscount
      The Shoei GT-Air Wanderer Helmet is quiet, comfortable, and feature-rich, in addition to the providing the excellent protection that Shoei is known for. We have these on special for $439 shipped in the lower 48 for forum members in either black or white.

      The GT-Air's AIM shell construction and multi-piece EPS work together to redirect impact energy in the case of a crash. An Emergency Quick Release System (E.Q.R.S.) is built into the helmet to allow medical personnel to safely remove the cheek pads and helmet from an injured rider’s head.

      This helmet features a fully retractable internal sun visor. A large, easily located switch on the left side of the helmet allows you to operate the visor on the fly. When retracted, the visor slides smoothly between the EPS liner and the outer shell.
      The CNS-1 shield has a large field of vision and comes equipped with the Pinlock fog free system. A Pinlock lens is also included.

      This helmet has an adjustable, three-position upper vent that is easy to use with riding gloves. Six vents (three intake, three exhaust) work together to allow optimal air circulation.
      The 3D Max-Dry interior liner absorbs sweat twice as fast as other nylon interiors, keeping you dry and comfortable during your ride. The interior is completely removable, washable, replaceable and adjustable.
      MSRP $670.99

      If you have any questions about the product or would like to place an order, feel free to give MIKE a call at 866.931.6644 ext. 804.  Is email more convenient?  Send us a private message through this forum or write to us at FORUM at RIDERSDISCOUNT dot COM and we'll get back to you right away!
    • By RidersDiscount
      The Shoei X-Fourteen Laverty Helmet features a similar graphic to the one of former MotoGP and current World Superbike racer Eugene Laverty. Honoring Laverty's Irish heritage, this helmet has a green color scheme and shamrock pattern.

      The X-Fourteen has several brand new features that make it even better than the X-Twelve. The shell shape has been redesigned to improve the aerodynamics of the helmet, including a brand new, patent-pending Rear Stabilizer. The Rear Stabilizer works to “maximize high-speed stability while reducing negative forces on the rider.” You will experience 50% less buffeting, 10% less drag, and a 3% lift reduction with the new X-Fourteen.

      You can customize the aerodynamics by switching out the standard rear flaps with narrower ones (available separately). Shoei takes the customization a step further by incorporating an innovative five-stage rotating dial that allows you to fine-tune the shield and base plate.
      The X-Fourteen’s ventilation system has received several upgrades. Now the cheek pads have a cooling “tube” that allows fresh air to enter the helmet, cooling the rider’s cheek area. Allowing cool air to enter the helmet isn’t enough, though. The side air outlets of the helmet have been re-positioned to better allow hot, moist air to leave the helmet. Overall, the X-Fourteen has six air intakes and six exhaust outlets.

      A few changes have been made to the face shield and shield locking mechanism. First, the CWR-F Race Shield (equipped with Pinlock EVO fog-resistant system) has innovative new ribs on the edges to help eliminate bending. The X-Fourteen now has a double shield locking mechanism, designed to prevent unwanted shield openings while riding. The QR-E Base Plate System on this helmet not only makes changing shields easy, but also blocks out unwanted water and wind when closed.
      The X-Fourteen's 6-layer AIM+ shell construction and multi-layer EPS work together to redirect impact energy in the case of a crash. An Emergency Quick Release System (E.Q.R.S.) is built into the helmet to allow medical personnel to safely remove the cheek pads and helmet from an injured rider’s head.

      The 3D Max-Dry Interior is customizable with optional sizes for each section of the center pad. Made of Max-Dry material, the inside “absorbs and dissipates sweat twice as fast as tradition nylon.” The interior is completely removable, washable, replaceable and adjustable.
      MSRP $839.99

      If you have any questions about the product or would like to place an order, feel free to give MIKE a call at 866.931.6644 ext. 804.  Is email more convenient?  Send us a private message through this forum or write to us at FORUM at RIDERSDISCOUNT dot COM and we'll get back to you right away!