First action cam

Xsr900Rider

Well I finally decided to get a action camera to mount either to my helmet or my bike someplace to capture my rides (mainly for my viewing) I ended up getting a cheap one to start to make sure I'll actually use it and how it all works before stepping up to something more expensive.

So I am starting out with the Asako ek7000 4K cam. I think I'll just do 1080 at 60fps for the rides. Anyone using action cams feel free to share any tips for mounting or settings.

I'll try to add a short review of what you get for $84 and hopefully can upload some rides on here if I get anything decent. 

• Upvote 1

Well this ek7000 camera shows up today so once I get it mounted and everything I'll run it and post a short review here in case anyone is thinking about getting one. I'm hoping it works good enough to let me figure out if I even care to capture my rides on video without breaking the bank.

Think I will start with handlebar mount instead of helmet for now.

Ok so I got the Asako ek7000 out this weekend on one of my rides and forgot it on the Fathers Day ride:nono:. I just uploaded the videos and took a quick look and I am highly impressed with the quality of the video for $80 and even on the bumpy backroads the vibrations did not seem obnoxious to me(go pro mount or something from RAM Mounts would probably make it even better). The only thing I noticed was I'm not sure how great the sound quality is but it is not horrible by any means. Also direct sun made a small red reflection in a corner but rest of video looked great. I'll test it on my TV which will let me know more on sound quality. If I figure out how to post a video clip I will so anyone thinking about picking one up can see what your getting for $80. I'm not getting into vlogging but I do think it would be nice to capture some of the rides I go on to show my little kids.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update, camera is working great but the mounts it comes with are shit. Went to go for a ride yesterday and the clamped snapped on the handlebars. They are made out of plastic so I'd invest in a higher quality mount. Luckily I noticed it before leaving so didn't have it come off at speed.

Mine broke off on 270 at rush hour and I actually caught it with my left hand!  It was fun downshifting and coming to a stop without being able to use the clutch.  I now have a REAL GoPro and these accessories to keep it on the bike.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01E7V7WPS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XKS3OXE/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1 minute ago, MSerfozo said:

Mine broke off on 270 at rush hour and I actually caught it with my left hand!  It was fun downshifting and coming to a stop without being able to use the clutch.  I now have a REAL GoPro and these accessories to keep it on the bike.

I use these tethers if I feel the GoPro can fall off, but I've never had issues with my mounts. I usually get Smatree GoPro mounts for my Hero 3+. They are cheap and work well.

https://www.amazon.com/XCSOURCE-Tethers-Insurance-Sticker-Mounting/dp/B00JFS1TC6/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1498846263&sr=1-2&keywords=gopro+tether

Just now, Xsr900Rider said:

Perfect, thanks @JustinNck1 and @MSerfozo I'll try that mount and tethers. I guess you can't expect much from a $80 kit with camera and mounts but didn't want to jump to GoPro prices if I ended up never using it.

I agree on the price of things. I received my GoPro as a gift. I always wanted one, but couldn't justify the cost. I don't use mine very often.

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you like it...  I've never had the adhesive give way unless I tried to detach it from somewhere and re-use it elsewhere.  They definitely are single use units.  As far as the quality of the mount itself... yea, probably upgrade to the GoPro mounts for added durability. 

Oh and I'll have to go take another video this weekend since I did not keep the old ones on the card. 

Also on durability I think this camera does well. I tried to use a 3M mount it came with while waiting for Amazon mount and it came off at 55mph and was still on and recording when I found it in the grass off the road. Only damage was a slight scuff on corner of housing in two places. 

3M VHB tape is very strong but it has to be applied correctly for maximum strength.  VHB is used in many industries to hold parts together - it's what holds the side moldings and other trim pieces on your car.

Link to VHB Technical Data .pdf

And I attached the application instructions page if the link is TLDR

VHB Apply.jpg

Ok this is a short ride I found on my computer from when I first got the Camera. The ones from this weekend are a little long and boring(This is not much better but you can see the video quality and sound quality). If I can cut them down below 15 minutes I will post them as well.

I think your right @Nicos it looks better directly from computer to 4K TV but just a little. Probably forgot to do some things on YouTube. I just uploaded. 

I have found that sunlight causes some spoting but like you said not bad for  $80 on Amazon. If I was going to get into more serious video editing I would buy the better stuff and edit them but mainly I just keep it to show the kids and in case I see something I want to capture. Eventually I'll get a bag that I can keep my DSLR camera in so I can take good photos as this doesn't take great photos just decent video. You'd be better off with phone pictures over this probably.

11 hours ago, Xsr900Rider said:

I think your right @Nicos it looks better directly from computer to 4K TV but just a little. Probably forgot to do some things on YouTube. I just uploaded. 

I have found that sunlight causes some spoting but like you said not bad for  $80 on Amazon. If I was going to get into more serious video editing I would buy the better stuff and edit them but mainly I just keep it to show the kids and in case I see something I want to capture. Eventually I'll get a bag that I can keep my DSLR camera in so I can take good photos as this doesn't take great photos just decent video. You'd be better off with phone pictures over this probably.

True that. I saw a video on YouTube today where a guy strapped his iPhone to his helmet to use as an action cam basically...it actually turned out insanely nice to be honest. I expected a lot worse. It honestly looked like pretty damn good quality, and it was only a 6S. I kind of want to try it with my 7+ considering the quality is really good on it!