First track day question - tires

Casper

Should I be concerned about tires for my first track day? I currently have PR4s on the Daytona. They have probably 60-70% life left. Should I get something stickier for the track or does it really not matter that much in novice and for first track day?

Shouldn't matter, just make sure there's good life (and they arent old as shit). As long as you are comfortable on the tires ya got on there right now you should be gravy.

(Just my .02)

When and where can we expect to see ya out there?

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

They should be fine for a novice track day if you stay in one of the middle groups.  If it's super hot they will start to feel greasy toward the afternoon.  I have run the pr2's and pr3's on the track with no problems.  Just watch tire condition as the heat builds and don't hamfist the corners. 

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, OSUYZFR1 said:

You should be fine for your first day. Not sure what your skill level is but those tires can handle the fastest novice pace and then some. I wouldn't go out and spend money on new tires until you become hooked. :) 

I'm not confident with my skill level, which is why I'm doing a track day. :) 

• Upvote 1

I love Putnam, a personal favorite. Putnam eats tires though. Personally I'd replace them, 60% isnt much and that is still a month away youll be needing new tires after that day anyway. You're a good rider and will likely get bumped to Intermediate too. Get a set of Q3 for that day and then your mind wont be holding you back because youll be on tires fully capable of Advanced pace that will still have a couple thousand street miles in them after that day. 

Just my 2 pennies

Edited by MidgetTodd

Go for new tires. PP3s would work for you too. You will be bored until after lunch but will learn things. You are probably fast enough to ride intermediate but should learn as much as possible on your first trackday for your sake and others on the track.