Anyone going to Putnam July 15th?

Casper

We wont be able to make it, but Putnam is an awesome choice for 1st timers.  Easy layout so the race lines are simple to pickup, which makes it easier to focus on your BP and riding smooth.

Who's hosting it?  STT?  Motoseries?

6 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

We wont be able to make it, but Putnam is an awesome choice for 1st timers.  Easy layout so the race lines are simple to pickup, which makes it easier to focus on your BP and riding smooth.

Who's hosting it?  STT?  Motoseries?

STT 

7 hours ago, Casper said:

STT 

That's who we went with our first trackday too.  Good org, and MidO's crew ran a very similar program.  Now, this was 4 years ago so I'm not sure if they've changed their format or not, but used to be that the afternoon sessions were pretty much open for Novice groups after a couple controlled parade laps ( builds tire heat ) then they'd waive us by to ride on our own.   Couldn't pass in the corners, but the straights were fair game as long as you stayed 6ft or more away from the bikes you pass, and don't stuff them setting up for the corners. 

3 hours ago, Hellmutt said:

That's who we went with our first trackday too.  Good org, and MidO's crew ran a very similar program.  Now, this was 4 years ago so I'm not sure if they've changed their format or not, but used to be that the afternoon sessions were pretty much open for Novice groups after a couple controlled parade laps ( builds tire heat ) then they'd waive us by to ride on our own.   Couldn't pass in the corners, but the straights were fair game as long as you stayed 6ft or more away from the bikes you pass, and don't stuff them setting up for the corners. 

Pretty sure Mid-O has revamped the school since 4 years ago. Novice groups dont run un-controlled anymore from my experience last year.

4 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Pretty sure Mid-O has revamped the school since 4 years ago. Novice groups dont run un-controlled anymore from my experience last year.

I get why they would change those rules, for safety sake, but holding groups all day long seems like it would suck for the faster novice riders that have a good grasp on their limits.  I liked it because it let us apply what we'd learned without the craziness of Intermediate

1 hour ago, Hellmutt said:

I get why they would change those rules, for safety sake, but holding groups all day long seems like it would suck for the faster novice riders that have a good grasp on their limits.  I liked it because it let us apply what we'd learned without the craziness of Intermediate

I can't really say what happens after 2nd session in novice. But I didn't think they just let novices run around at their own pace. I thought each group of novices were led by an instructor who you couldn't pass. Hoping some Mid-O CR's chime in. 

6 minutes ago, TwiztedRabbit said:

sadly. Putnam is on of my fav STT events as we only do 2 a year but I will not be coaching that weekend i'll be racing at pitt

Bummer. I'd love to have you as a coach sometime. 

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I can't really say what happens after 2nd session in novice. But I didn't think they just let novices run around at their own pace. I thought each group of novices were led by an instructor who you couldn't pass. Hoping some Mid-O CR's chime in. 

Few years ago STT and MidO both had open afternoon novice sessions ( unless you were slow, then a CR would tow ) while CRs would mingle through traffic keeping the peace.  Haven't done a trackday with either org since 2015 though, so may have changed

45 minutes ago, Hellmutt said:

Few years ago STT and MidO both had open afternoon novice sessions ( unless you were slow, then a CR would tow ) while CRs would mingle through traffic keeping the peace.  Haven't done a trackday with either org since 2015 though, so may have changed

Never ridden with STT, although I'd like to check out some of the tracks they go to. The entire time I was in N at Mid O last year I was stuck behind a CR. Until the session I was evaluated for a bump, then he let me go and watched, then he towed me around a bit (may have been the other way around.)

17 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Never ridden with STT, although I'd like to check out some of the tracks they go to. The entire time I was in N at Mid O last year I was stuck behind a CR. Until the session I was evaluated for a bump, then he let me go and watched, then he towed me around a bit (may have been the other way around.)

That's definitely different than it used to be.  After lunch the sessions started with a CR leading a lap or 2 then waiving us by, and after lunch there were no more classroom sessions between track excursions either.  Maybe they made the changes as a precautionary measure, or there were instances that demanded a program change?

There's no more "go ahead and do your own thing" in N at Mid-O. You are behind a CR the entire day. I plan to move up to I my next track day, which is looking like July at this point (god damn work). 

That said, if your pace is at the top of novice, the CR will make sure you stay ahead of the slow groups for the most part. I was running like a 2:01 or so last time, which was about the same pace as the fastest novice group. We lapped every other group except for them. That said, I felt like I had another 3-4 seconds I could easily shave off if I wasn't getting stuck behind people over-braking in the corners and was able to keep up my corner speed. Drive doesn't matter to people on 100+ HP bikes but on the 750 if I lose entry speed I'm screwed. 

12 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

This is completely true. No more free for all last 2 sessions in N. We do pick up the pace a bit though for group 1 and 2 the faster N riders will be in those groups

On 6/12/2017 at 7:11 PM, Casper said:

Thinking about doing my first track day. Anyone else going that weekend? 

I love Putnam and want to get the Duke out for a track day. Thats right after our California MA round but If we are back on this coast and rested enough Ill join you. Ill know if I can pull it off after next weekends Utah round because thats when we'll plan the Cali trip. I'll let you know

• Upvote 1

STT novice is very well structured until lunch.. after lunch we let everyone loose assuming  the morning went well.. we  have 7-10 coaches out in Novice still  helping with groups or individuals as needed or wanted / we will  go back to groups if things get out of hand...  we also will constantly rotate people in groups  based on pace and skill or learning to maximize the learning and fun for all in each group.  after lunch during the open track riding we allow students to apply their newly learned skills on their own or with lightly or heavily guided assistance as needed.

• Upvote 1