Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2018

Casper

Wife and I trailer down every year.  Not because it's so much about comfort or time savings, mainly about peace of mind knowing should one of us wad it up down there, we have means on tap to get the bikes back home.  

2 minutes ago, Helmutt said:

Wife and I trailer down every year.  Not because it's so much about comfort or time savings, mainly about peace of mind knowing should one of us wad it up down there, we have means on tap to get the bikes back home.  

Flip side of the coin; knowing you have to ride it back may make some people think twice about doing something dumb.

If I have a grom and decide to do this trip, the grom and whatever street bike is coming with me. Been wanting to ride a small bike on the dragon since I rode it.

Edited by TimTheAzn

14 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Flip side of the coin; knowing you have to ride it back may make some people think twice about doing something dumb.

Never do anything dumb down there, but then again....it's not always simply a riders choice to NOT crash, things happen.....but to each their own in that respect

• Beer 1

Just now, Helmutt said:

Never do anything dumb down there, but then again....it's not always simply a riders choice to NOT crash, things happen.....but to each their own in that respect

Didn’t mean to make it sound like you do dumb stuff down there. Not my intention as I know you, and that’s just not how you roll lol. Just speaking I general about other people.

We’ll see as the time gets closer. I pinged my boss since my offer letter said two weeks vacation so of course I asked him, is that a work week, or a full week. He said work week :(.

• Like 1

Well shoot, you guys are really making me wanna ride down. I have that weekend free (surprisingly) and i have a few vaca days to use yet. Raise your hand id your from CLE and would be willing to hold my hand on the way down? I have never really ridding in one direction for more than 2 hours?

I have the gear, the saddle bags for the bike, and a bike that i think would make it (truth be told this spring when i do the maintenance).

Im thinking leave late the 19th (take a 1/2 day off work) and get there the next?

21 minutes ago, flashesbuck said:

Well shoot, you guys are really making me wanna ride down. I have that weekend free (surprisingly) and i have a few vaca days to use yet. Raise your hand id your from CLE and would be willing to hold my hand on the way down? I have never really ridding in one direction for more than 2 hours?

I have the gear, the saddle bags for the bike, and a bike that i think would make it (truth be told this spring when i do the maintenance).

Im thinking leave late the 19th (take a 1/2 day off work) and get there the next?

Ok, this is coming from someone that's made that trip and has made numerous numerous 2 hour "rides" just to get to the meet spot for a ride. Honestly the "I have never really ridding in one direction for more than 2 hours?"" concerns me, and probably anybody else that would be leading a group down to the GAP. But that's OK, I was there too. Get some more miles at one time under your belt (I was told this when I first started riding with the Core group of riders on here.) so you can judge things like; mileage at certain paces (not what you've read online or in a magazine in terms of mileage), what pace can you consistently and safely run all day? Safe being the key word. How long your ass can handle the saddle without needing a break? How long should you ride before taking a break before you actually need one? Doing that will also kind of give you an idea of what potential modifications you may need to do to your bike to make the trip more comfortable, whether it be a new seat, bar risers, etc.

Roads down there are nothing like they are up here, in the best, more exhausting way. I'll tell you that while I completely and thoroughly enjoyed the ride down there, I was physically and mentally exhausted from all of those sweet sweet miles. Ask @Tpoppa as he had to baby- lead me into the Gap after back to back 500 mile days to get down there. (That man is a machine.) I had to slow my pace way down not because I was physically exhausted, but because I was making mental mistakes on easy shit.

More miles more miles more miles of the good stuff aka twisties will better prepare you for a trip like this. There are plenty of guys that put down more miles than me a year on here and I'm sure they would be more than happy to share their feedback too.

Edited by TimTheAzn
  • Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Didn’t mean to make it sound like you do dumb stuff down there. Not my intention as I know you, and that’s just not how you roll lol. Just speaking I general about other people.

Nah bro, no offense taken whatsoever....and I'm not taking a stance on trailering, I'm just pro choice is all.  For the little extra it costs us to trailer down and back, we feel it's worth it.  And some might agree, where others don't - that's the luxury of a free country.  I dig all you folks, all the same.

• Beer 1

Last year on the way home I was suffering from pretty severe dehydration.  Ask @Pauly

I think it had less to do with the consecutive 500 mile days  (And scaring the new girl after she told me "Fuck it, lets go fast")

It had more do do with the consecutive nights of irresponsible whiskey consumption.  

8 minutes ago, Tpoppa said:

Last year on the way home I was suffering from pretty severe dehydration.  Ask @Pauly

I think it had less to do with the consecutive 500 mile days  (And scaring the new girl after she told me "Fuck it, lets go fast")

It had more do do with the consecutive nights of irresponsible whiskey consumption.  

Were you two up on the vfr last year? Probably still wouldn't have been able to keep up.

Being able to handle consecutive nights of irresponsible consumption of all things is a given on this trip!

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

I have the "right" machine in my arsenal now to do that trip like an adult, not like some asshole kid on a super sport with soft bags. Time off is my concern, 1 day trip down vs. 2 day trip down.

What are you trying to say...?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

Ok, this is coming from someone that's made that trip and has made numerous numerous 2 hour "rides" just to get to the meet spot for a ride. Honestly the "I have never really ridding in one direction for more than 2 hours?"" concerns me, and probably anybody else that would be leading a group down to the GAP. But that's OK, I was there too. Get some more miles at one time under your belt (I was told this when I first started riding with the Core group of riders on here.) so you can judge things like; mileage at certain paces (not what you've read online or in a magazine in terms of mileage), what pace can you consistently and safely run all day? Safe being the key word. How long your ass can handle the saddle without needing a break? How long should you ride before taking a break before you actually need one? Doing that will also kind of give you an idea of what potential modifications you may need to do to your bike to make the trip more comfortable, whether it be a new seat, bar risers, etc.

Roads down there are nothing like they are up here, in the best, more exhausting way. I'll tell you that while I completely and thoroughly enjoyed the ride down there, I was physically and mentally exhausted from all of those sweet sweet miles. Ask @Tpoppa as he had to baby- lead me into the Gap after back to back 500 mile days to get down there. (That man is a machine.) I had to slow my pace way down not because I was physically exhausted, but because I was making mental mistakes on easy shit.

More miles more miles more miles of the good stuff aka twisties will better prepare you for a trip like this. There are plenty of guys that put down more miles than me a year on here and I'm sure they would be more than happy to share their feedback too.

I wouldn't discourage someone from going down to the gap with limited riding experience so long as that person understands their limits and that mental exhaustion is a REAL thing and it will mess you up fast. I went to the dragon with very few miles under my belt and survived the roads just fine, but mental exhaustion caught me and I ended up turning in front of a pickup and getting into an accident. To be fair, the road went from a 2-way to a 1-way street with 2 lanes with no warning signs, but still... if my brain had been functioning like it should have (story of my life?) the accident would not have happened. 

Learn how to recognize when you're riding above your pace and learn to recognize when your brain is telling you it has had enough. These are essential skills for anyone riding a motorcycle. Know when you need a break, "pushing through" is a bad, bad plan. 

I would almost suggest that a newer rider take the 2 day trip down on back roads. Things get progressively twistier as you go south so it would be a good exercise for acclimation. Trailering down and jumping in with both feet on the dragon seems more dangerous. 

54 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Shit, lol I was referencing myself. I was about to put " on a white daytona" in there too but you still woulda been asking yourself the same thing. :lol:

Hey now why's it gotta be white? 

Edited by what