Casper

Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2018

my first time through the Dragon was in 1995 on a 1982 Yamaha Vision. Rode solo there at 35 yrs old.The bike was notorious for frying stator coils. It was my first trip down there and thankfully was carrying a spare stator. Coming up towards what is now the overlook, the bike bucked and then stalled as the charging system failed. 

I laid the bike down on it's left side in the ditch so the oil would drain away, and using a rock as a hammer, removed the side cover and changed the stator coil right there. By the end there was a BUNCH of bikes pulled up around me offering help. Wasn't really the Gap resort yet, but was a General store IIRC. Road conditions sucked too, but...so did tires back then.

Next stator got me home, and then friend shortly thereafter.

First time I rode to the gap was in 2005 for the Busa Bash. I forget what happened that got me there at this time but I ended up riding the gap sometime after midnight on my way to Phillips Motel in Robbinsville which was the host hotel for the gathering.

There was a bear on the right side of the road rummaging around that I spooked so he took off running across the road and splated himself right against the rock bank like something out of a cartoon. Now he feels trapped so he darts back across the road right in front of me, I didn't miss hitting him by more than a foot.

• Upvote 1

I hope someone brings some hiking shoes this year!!

1 minute ago, OsuMj said:

I hope someone brings some hiking shoes this year!!

Word up. I won't be strapping the Wheelhouse to my bike this time, but I may have room for some closed-toe footwear. 

If I can make the trip, I'll go hiking with you. Plus, I can carry my own water. 

1 minute ago, Pauly said:

Word up. I won't be strapping the Wheelhouse to my bike this time, but I may have room for some closed-toe footwear. 

If I can make the trip, I'll go hiking with you. Plus, I can carry my own water. 

Awesome! 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

Who wants a bunch of bugs flying into their eyes? I think it's safer on a motorcycle.

It probably is. That was the worst trail I have ever taken. I will plan better this year :) maybe.

12 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

I have the wrong bike for a TT run at the gap. Cherohala would be scary fast, let's do that.

Chris isn't invited, remember the 4 of us doing that? 

You know, the day we all almost died a few times. Once into a creek bridge 

16 hours ago, OsuMj said:

Awesome! 

It probably is. That was the worst trail I have ever taken. I will plan better this year :) maybe.

Please tell me about your special power that allows you to plan around bugs while hiking.

7 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

Chris isn't invited, remember the 4 of us doing that? 

You know, the day we all almost died a few times. Once into a creek bridge 

That was as close as you can come to wrecking without doing so. I'll never forget it, Wolf Pen Gap Road heading east out of Suches, GA.

50 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

That was as close as you can come to wrecking without doing so. I'll never forget it, Wolf Pen Gap Road heading east out of Suches, GA.

Sounds like a story needs told and potential pictures/videos posted!

There was no video or pictures, that would be considered evidence when the 4 of us were riding together. 

That story doesn't need rehashing lol. 

We all pretty much did the speed limit all the way back after that incident if that tells you how close it was to 4 people going missing in the middle of no where. 

Chris should never be allowed to lead lol 

• Beer 2

There was something written up about it on here somewhere in the past. Coming out of the woods down hill there was a couple just starting to walk across the bridge that distracted and took a second off of the decision process. No one knew which direction the road went and the split second decision was made to go right into the parking lot instead of following the road left. A bumpy airborne ride followed by heavy braking with all of us inches from each other when we finally came to a stop in a parking lot.

I found the location on maps hopefully it imbeds.

https://www.google.com/maps/embed?pb=!4v1515538675829!6m8!1m7!1s2c89HlymAz4yeVgwI0DB8Q!2m2!1d34.74041266436413!2d-83.97658099425935!3f100.95027306202172!4f-3.9873553315038066!5f0.7820865974627469

Edited by Uncle Punk

And that long silence when we came to a stop and all just stared at each other. No words were needed. 

On 1/9/2018 at 2:48 PM, Uncle Punk said:

Please tell me about your special power that allows you to plan around bugs while hiking.

Bug spray.... :dunno:

Why would you spray yourself with bugs?

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

On 1/13/2018 at 4:02 PM, what said:

Why would you spray yourself with bugs?

It masks my scent. 

• Haha 1

I guess everybody has their own bear hunting techniques. 

14 hours ago, what said:

Yeah, @Dizzledan didn't use any scent blockers.....just a flashlight and a camera to go bear hunt the south grounds at Fontana a couple years back LOL

4 minutes ago, Helmutt said:

Yeah, @Dizzledan didn't use any scent blockers.....just a flashlight and a camera to go bear hunt the south grounds at Fontana a couple years back LOL

He really wanted to add bear to his recipe book. 

And much like a bear, I think @Dizzledan only comes out of hibernation for a few days every year to visit Deal's Gap and then return to his slumber. 

Edited by what

3 hours ago, Helmutt said:

Yeah, @Dizzledan didn't use any scent blockers.....just a fleshlight and a camera to go bear hunt the south grounds at Fontana a couple years back LOL

fixed

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, what said:

I totally read that as bear humping techniques.

image.png.df32c625e8e49e5214987fa62052f497.png

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

I totally read that as bear humping techniques.

image.png.df32c625e8e49e5214987fa62052f497.png

According to @Casper's fixed quote, this might be the case. 

• Haha 1

Just confirmed our room. Shannon and her friend Shana, and I will be down. June 21-26.

On 1/8/2018 at 10:38 PM, Pauly said:

I'm planning to ride the FJR down, and Shannon is driving the truck. If you need to offload some gear to be hauled with 4 wheels, we can probably arrange that.
And I know they, and possibly I, plan to do some hiking.