Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2018

Casper

This might be happening now and even with a ride down instead of trailering. Gotta try out the new bike/learn how to ride it somewhere and what a great place to get familiar with it.

I know, I know take it easy, work up to it, have emergency funds which are hard to come by after buying a new bike. Maybe I should ride alone? This is so hard to think about maybe it won't be that fun with all of this pre ride pressure.

Edited by Uncle Punk
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

This might be happening now and even with a ride down instead of trailering. Gotta try out the new bike/learn how to ride it somewhere and what a great place to get familiar with it.

I know, I know take it easy, work up to it, have emergency funds which are hard to come by after buying a new bike. Maybe I should ride alone? This is so hard to think about maybe it won't be that fun with all of this pre ride pressure.

Yeah yr before last I got an $800 speeding ticket Riding to the gap

On 1/6/2018 at 7:01 AM, 2talltim said:

@flashesbuck come on down not all of us are stoners that think you are not a good rider :lol: ;):p:wtf::banana::beathorse: (is that enough smileys to know I'm half kidding around?)

Here is the story, first and foremost make sure your equipment is in tip top order especially tires and brakes and ppe but really all your ducks need to be in row. Second and equally important "ALWAYS, RIDE YOUR RIDE". That includes all miles for this trip including the ones getting there. Plan your trip with what ever you want to do ..BUT.  Always have a way to opt out or and alt. plan. If your tired, STOP. If your over your head on a technical road, slow down. Shit happens and time tables get fucked and the last thing you need is to feel your on a set deadline to get some where. Same goes for the roads down around the gap they are a different beast than stuff up here but ANYONE can ride them just not at the paces some of us do. If you have to do half the speed limit to be safe, do it. Just keep they guy that just rode up behind you in mind at the next turn out or strait. If you give yourself plenty of time and don't have the mind set that you are going to "slay the dragon" you will be fine. And if someone invites you along on their journey, rules need to be laid out and they should be informed of what you are comfortable with. 

My wife may be taking her bike and she has ridden less than 800 miles in the last 2 years and 600 of that was one trip. I have no fears of her going down there and getting in over her head because I know she's a smart rider that could care less what pace she's riding at or what time the clock says. 

I'll take a smart rider over experience any day. Obviously a smart experienced rider is the perfect scenario. but even a stupid experienced rider is dangerous. 

Thanks for this reply...  I’m planning my first trip there.  I may have a friend going w me but that’s all up in the air.  After taking a trip thru Canada to NY last year gives me the confidence to do this solo if that’s how it shakes out.  

Tell your wife to take her bike, I’ll ride with her.

1 hour ago, tall_tracy said:

Thanks for this reply...  I’m planning my first trip there.  I may have a friend going w me but that’s all up in the air.  After taking a trip thru Canada to NY last year gives me the confidence to do this solo if that’s how it shakes out.  

The roads down to DG are a lot more fun than the roads on the way to upstate NY. Once you hit SEO, it's non-stop twisties. Riding 16 through WV is well worth it, not to mention the other great roads down that way.

2 hours ago, what said:

Once you hit SEO, it's non-stop twisties. Riding 16 through WV is well worth it, not to mention the other great roads down that way.

+1 on this, on 2016 Fall Gap Trip, the group left out of Parkersburg, WV and we had fun twisty roads all day.

6 hours ago, what said:

The roads down to DG are a lot more fun than the roads on the way to upstate NY. Once you hit SEO, it's non-stop twisties. Riding 16 through WV is well worth it, not to mention the other great roads down that way.

My trip to NY was in the Catskills which reminded me of SEO, but yes, getting there was pretty uneventful until we headed south out of Buffalo.

I'm not exactly sure what route I'm taking down for this trip.  I have family in Louisville so there's a chance I might stop overnight there on my way down, or the way back.

19 hours ago, tall_tracy said:

She wants to but not sure how it's all going to work out with it getting there. 

Also she rides a big slow cruiser bike not a sport bike so you might want to take back that invite to ride with her..LOL.. I usually take a nap while riding behind her, but i'm fine with it, it's time together. 

22 hours ago, marlboro man said:

Yeah yr before last I got an $800 speeding ticket Riding to the gap

That was unlucky. Next time split the car and the semi and motor away with Tony and me. (We had 0 clue there was a trooper watching us merge onto that highway.)

40 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

The only time I got a ticket down there was when there was the landslide and it was a dead end road for the summer. Strange how it happens to work out that way.

I really think they should run a TT there. If not on 129, then at least the length of the Cherohala. Run the long straight not far outside of Tellico on the west end to the hot dog shop near 129 on the east end. 

First time I rode to the gap was in 2005 for the Busa Bash. I forget what happened that got me there at this time but I ended up riding the gap sometime after midnight on my way to Phillips Motel in Robbinsville which was the host hotel for the gathering.

There was a bear on the right side of the road rummaging around that I spooked so he took off running across the road and splated himself right against the rock bank like something out of a cartoon. Now he feels trapped so he darts back across the road right in front of me, I didn't miss hitting him by more than a foot.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsuMj said:

I hope someone brings some hiking shoes this year!!

Word up. I won't be strapping the Wheelhouse to my bike this time, but I may have room for some closed-toe footwear. 

If I can make the trip, I'll go hiking with you. Plus, I can carry my own water. 

1 minute ago, Pauly said:

Word up. I won't be strapping the Wheelhouse to my bike this time, but I may have room for some closed-toe footwear. 

If I can make the trip, I'll go hiking with you. Plus, I can carry my own water. 

Awesome! 

3 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

Who wants a bunch of bugs flying into their eyes? I think it's safer on a motorcycle.

It probably is. That was the worst trail I have ever taken. I will plan better this year :) maybe.

12 hours ago, Uncle Punk said:

I have the wrong bike for a TT run at the gap. Cherohala would be scary fast, let's do that.

Chris isn't invited, remember the 4 of us doing that? 

You know, the day we all almost died a few times. Once into a creek bridge 

16 hours ago, OsuMj said:

Awesome! 

It probably is. That was the worst trail I have ever taken. I will plan better this year :) maybe.

Please tell me about your special power that allows you to plan around bugs while hiking.

7 hours ago, MidgetTodd said:

Chris isn't invited, remember the 4 of us doing that? 

You know, the day we all almost died a few times. Once into a creek bridge 

That was as close as you can come to wrecking without doing so. I'll never forget it, Wolf Pen Gap Road heading east out of Suches, GA.

50 minutes ago, Uncle Punk said:

That was as close as you can come to wrecking without doing so. I'll never forget it, Wolf Pen Gap Road heading east out of Suches, GA.

Sounds like a story needs told and potential pictures/videos posted!