Ohio Riders Invades Deals Gap 2018

Casper

7 hours ago, Bad324 said:

I trailered from Cleveland every trip I made to the Gap. Always wanted to ride but the time of year wasn't good for me to be able to take off more than 2 days at my work. Depending where you are at in Cleveland you can do 8 hours easy to the new place. Best I ever did was 8.5hrs with my 2500HD and had 2 bikes in the 6x12 enclosed and 1 in the bed driving through the night to avoid traffic. I also much preferred having a truck and trailer on the Dragon in the middle of the night 

With this now being in Townsend this year I don't see any reason why you can't do it in 8 hours

I'm kinkin the idea around of riding down. I am dieing to start doing some long trips. I have two bikes that are more than capable of long distance riding... Just never done it. 

If I can still make it, I plan on taking back roads the entire trip. @Tpoppa and I rolled that way for the majority of our miles and it was quite a good weekend. The ST3 is even better than the Multistrada, which was a gem of a bike. I can't wait to get out and put a solid 2500 mile weekend on it. 

• Upvote 1

I've taken just about every route down over the years,  don't really have favorite. Not sure how I'm going this time. Will depend on how and when  the Mrs. goes down since she is joining us this year. Not sure if she's riding hers or trailer it or riding with me either way mine will be rolling down on its own power.

Edited by 2talltim

14 hours ago, Pauly said:

If I can still make it, I plan on taking back roads the entire trip. @Tpoppa and I rolled that way for the majority of our miles and it was quite a good weekend. The ST3 is even better than the Multistrada, which was a gem of a bike. I can't wait to get out and put a solid 2500 mile weekend on it. 

The roads there and back were as good as the roads down there....and with much fewer LEOs to worry about

• Beer 1

29 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

So, are people starting to ride down on the 20th and will make it to the hotel on the 21st sometime?

I think that's @JustinNck1 plan. 

Look's like my plans are to head down the 16th to ride with the Concours1400 Enthusiasts guys. They are meeting in Telico Plains for a week long nomad style rally up the BRP hitting all the great road on the way. I'll ride with them till Wednesday (20th) then I'll slab back to Townsend with ya'll. My wife will either trailer down with someone on here or just drive her car down(by herself) and 2up with me for a couple of days.

Edited by 2talltim

1 hour ago, TimTheAzn said:

So, are people starting to ride down on the 20th and will make it to the hotel on the 21st sometime?

Yeah, I am just gonna run down from SEO to the hotel on Thursday via twisty roads. You're welcome to join.

56 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

I think that's @JustinNck1 plan. 

Look's like my plans are to head down the 16th to ride with the Concours1400 Enthusiasts guys. They are meeting in Telico Plains for a week long nomad style rally up the BRP hitting all the great road on the way. I'll ride with them till Wednesday (20th) then I'll slab back to Townsend with ya'll. My wife will either trailer down with someone on here or just drive her car down(by herself) and 2up with me for a couple of days.

I may be heading down the 16th myself... May hook up with you guys for a couple days if possible. 

I will for sure be down on the 18th. I will be leaving on the morning of the 22nd so my riding days with the group will be on the 20th and 21st. If anyone else is planning on or thinking about heading down early let me know and maybe we can split costs on room and board. I'll be trailering and unfortunately (as of right now) won't have room for an extra bike on my trailer. 

Edited by what

2 hours ago, TimTheAzn said:

I'm planning to do OH-800 to WV-16. Sleep in Marion. Take @Tonik's route through NC/TN to the motel on day 2. 

Unless I slab. I might slab. 

2 hours ago, Pauly said:

I'm planning to do OH-800 to WV-16. Sleep in Marion. Take @Tonik's route through NC/TN to the motel on day 2. 

Havent quite made up my mind. Only have 10 vacation days this year and next. I'd like to spend some vacation time on a non-Motorsports related vacation (I know I know, but I tried it at the end of 2016 and it was great.)

3 hours ago, Pauly said:

you're not slabbing

35 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Havent quite made up my mind. Only have 10 vacation days this year and next. I'd like to spend some vacation time on a non-Motorsports related vacation (I know I know, but I tried it at the end of 2016 and it was great.)

DON'T FUCKING DO IT

-Someone who does non-motorsports vacations

39 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

you're not slabbing

DON'T FUCKING DO IT

-Someone who does non-motorsports vacations

Dude Florida was great. No agenda, no car shows to be at. Focused on food, and doing nothing. It was pretty relaxing. I also had good company, that may have had something to do with it.

I guess I personally still don't get the point of slabbing down on the bike. I preferred the comforts of my truck and trailer and got there quicker since I really only needed to stop once.

Now I totally get taking the extra day to take the back roads down. That has always sounded fun as hell and envious I was never able to take the time to do it. One day when I decide I want back on 2 wheels I'm going to

Edited by Bad324

Just now, Bad324 said:

I guess I personally still don't get the point of slabbing down on the bike. I preferred the comforts of my truck and trailer and got there quicker since I really only needed to stop once.

Well shit, what was I thinking, lemme go buy a truck and a trailer....  :lol:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Bad324 said:

Now I totally get taking the extra day to take the back roads down. That has always sounded fun as hell and envious I was never able to take the time to do it. One day when I decide I want back on 2 wheels I'm going to

Had the dream situation my first Gap trip. Rode down, trailed back with @what while our bikes did buttstuff on his trailer. :lol:

I have the "right" machine in my arsenal now to do that trip like an adult, not like some asshole kid on a super sport with soft bags. Time off is my concern, 1 day trip down vs. 2 day trip down.

Riding down on the slab is pretty much out of the question, unless I get a throttle lock, and even then.... I know that @Pauly and I can make good time on the back roads.

• Beer 1
  • Upvote 1

My best time slabbing from the Gap Store was 6 hours 15 min to my house. And let me tell you I was hauling the mail triple digits most of the way through Kentucky and only one gas stop, but I never dismounted the bike was on fumes at the end of both tanks. I would not do that again. Had luck and ignorance on my side that day. Even got a scooter wave in when I passed @Pauly on the freeway. Only cost me a couple final drive seals. :lol: 

• Haha 1