7/15/17 - Vulture's Knob race 3

redkow97

Event info https://www.facebook.com/events/1893814527572479/

There is no pre-registration.

I want to go to this, but it's the day after my wife's birthday, an d we're supposed to have people in from out of town...

It's a good group running the event, and the trail is awesome.  Super fun, and the climbs aren't too steep. 

• 4 weeks later...

@jhawk and @Isaac's Papa - you guys should give this a shot.  It's a fun trail.  Not super flowy, but it's never dull.  From what I can remember, there were maybe 2 spots that I walked the bike, and it was the type of terrain where I didn't HAVE to, it was just more efficient, because I didn't want to tire myself out unnecessarily. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, jhawk said:

Planned to go there last Sunday, but rain and chance of it being closed changed our plans. VK and West Branch are on the list though for this year!

Did West Branch sunday, its pretty close for me. Lake side is pretty with short hills, a few steep some roots and the occasional view of the lake. I also did the "blue" sections of Southside which includes numerous rock gardens. Only a few places I had to walk. The rigid fat tire bounces too much when it has enough air to not bottom out on the rocks. There are a few "black" sections which are more than my skill level can handle. 

I've done Quarry trail in the past which also has plenty of rocks. 

For me Quarry and South side were the most challenging trails I have completed. More so than Medina, East Rim or Mohican.

I havn't been to VK in years, maybe it is time to get over my fear and go back. First and only time I bruised my ribs badly dropping off a skinny then endoed in a rock garden. :bikefall:

Edited by CBBaron

They tape off the "expert" sections for the XC races.  There are some semi-narrow bridges, but they're only like 4' long, so you can barely fall off...

Scariest part for me was the 'fern gully' U-shaped bridge.  It shouldn't be difficult, but my foot slipped off the pedal the first time.  All mental.   There is one section where I'm convinced that my bars will not fit between the 2 trees, and then there are 2 rocks that almost necessitate a pedal-strike unless you bunnyhop, but the former just requires a quick dismount, and the latter never hung me up.

I really wish I could ride Saturday.  Wife invited her whole office over for a cookout.  Should be fun, but I wish it was Sunday...

1 hour ago, redkow97 said:

They tape off the "expert" sections for the XC races.  There are some semi-narrow bridges, but they're only like 4' long, so you can barely fall off...

Scariest part for me was the 'fern gully' U-shaped bridge.  It shouldn't be difficult, but my foot slipped off the pedal the first time.  All mental.   There is one section where I'm convinced that my bars will not fit between the 2 trees, and then there are 2 rocks that almost necessitate a pedal-strike unless you bunnyhop, but the former just requires a quick dismount, and the latter never hung me up.

I really wish I could ride Saturday.  Wife invited her whole office over for a cookout.  Should be fun, but I wish it was Sunday...

I agree its all mental. I have a big mental block for narrow bridges. It was a short bridge that did me in, though my memory makes it about 4" wide :D

The other mental block is tall obstacles. Slammed on my brakes approaching a tall log pile this weekend. I'm pretty sure I could have just rolled right over it, and I started to attack the 3' pile of logs but had a panic and stopped just short. I really should take the time to practice the obstacle until I get confident instead of taking the bypass, but my fear of injury keeps me on the easy path. :)

Craig