Fontana Thread

rawlins87

7 minutes ago, marlboro man said:

Place is in need of a renovation due to lack of maintenance over the years Other than that that place could be The number one resort in the area

Agreed.  And it probably was the #1 resort when everything was fresh and new.  They have everything right there

• Upvote 1

On June 12, 2017 at 0:21 PM, Casper said:

I wanted to open a campground/cabins on 555. He wants to close the road down for races. 

Your cabin campgrounds on 555 Will prosper !                                                     if we shut down The road for races weekend to weekend  for qualified trails and a second time weekend to weekend for races .                                                 we  need to get a petition  made to sign .                                     I think we can pull  race off it's near laid-back towns versus trying to pull off a race near a bunch of stuck up places.                               After the first race season they will realize revenue from small town businesses  doubled that year and it's Worth it to them to have a section of road shut off for two weeks out of the year

12 hours ago, rawlins87 said:

Anyone know the backstory behind Fontana? I hear they built all the cabins and such for the workers when they built the dam.

12 hours ago, 2talltim said:

Did not know that.   But I heard that's why Tapoco Lodge was built as well, because of dam/bridge construction crews needing shelter during the projects

On 6/12/2017 at 9:24 AM, Hellmutt said:

2wheel Inn in Robbinsville looks like it would hold us.  It's more of a motel-like setup, but each room has an attached bike garage, a breakfast/dinner steakhouse on site, laundry, 19 rooms available.  $80/night

http://twowheelinn.com

My first trip to DG was when the two wheel inn was new. It's a basic room, but what else ya need? Nice paved parking. Think there is a new restaurant next door now. 

FB_IMG_1497459933411.jpg

13 hours ago, rawlins87 said:

Anyone know the backstory behind Fontana? I hear they built all the cabins and such for the workers when they built the dam.

The cabins that we have stayed in were probably built in the 80s or early 90s. They are definitely not from the 40s. Completely different construction techniques back then. 

I don't think I've seen a building in Fontana Village that dates back further than the 60s.