Getting to Fontana Wednesday arrival

Killer_kaw

I've put zero thought into getting to the gap so I'll be taking the slab south in the wee hours of the morning Wednesday. 

Any riders or groups have a more interesting route and not mind the company? Might be able to get together. 

I'll be trailering like a sissy so I'm just taking 71 to Cinci then 75 to Knoxville, etc. You're welcome to draft my toastermobile if that sounds more interesting than 77 slab. :p 

BTW, check-in is at 4pm or later at Fontana according to them. I will be leaving around 4am to get there around noon then ride for a few hours before checking in. May call and see if I can get in earlier though. 

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

This way only adds about a half our of Google Time so maybe 20 minutes and has a nice non-freeway section in the middle. And then once you get to Asheville you have a million options if you want to get off the slab.

https://goo.gl/maps/VgjwLHttiK42

THIS ^

119 is probably the best slab down IMO. Not much traffic and it isn't terribly boring.

Took 119 down last year and it is a nice stretch for a 4 lane. Worst part is we were staying in pigeon forge and took 81 over from Kingsport. That was horrible! Asheville route looks much more entertaining. 

2 hours ago, what said:

BTW, check-in is at 4pm or later at Fontana according to them. I will be leaving around 4am to get there around noon then ride for a few hours before checking in. May call and see if I can get in earlier though. 

it is (well at least was) possible to sweet talk them in to checking in to the cabin if it is empty and clean already. One year we left Wednesday night and drove through the night and checked in around 7am.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, what said:

I'll be trailering like a sissy so I'm just taking 71 to Cinci then 75 to Knoxville, etc. You're welcome to draft my toastermobile if that sounds more interesting than 77 slab. :p 

Due to the old school aerodynamics you may be able to draft behind my ZRX. It cuts through the wind like a brick. 

• Upvote 1