Electrical problem

Howabusa

I have what I think is a spider grounding problem. The FJRs had a recall for these spider grounds. The turn signal and high beam indicators stay on. The windshield up and down button and the horn don't work. These are all controlled by the left side switch gear. From what I read on the FJR owners forum it sounds like the #6 ground spider. Which wasn't covered by the recall. I am not good with electrical problems!

3 minutes ago, Tonik said:

^ Good theory by the noob. Check the fuses, then reseat each connection to messed with.

Here's another one: The spray moved some grime around and interrupted a critical connection. Redoing the connections might clear it up. heh I mean, if it started before, but not after, you did something!

5 minutes ago, hiro said:

I wonder if it could be a stuck relay? Still might be due to the coil wire having a short.

I'm retracting that. Highly unlikely, I think. Since some things work and others are stuck on.

9 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

It starts and runs. How do you clean these connectors beside spray electric cleaner? After they are clean do I just grease them with dielectric grease and put them back together?

Ive always had good luck with a set like these. https://www.amazon.com/Innovative-Products-8040-3-Piece-Terminal/dp/B0062Y599K

And no i don't have mine anymore, one of thoese things I lent out and never got returned. 

• Upvote 1

Those big connectors in your pics are not the ground connectors.  The "spiders", as referred to on the FJR forums are the blocks with a bunch of wires going into them and a black cap.  You can see one next to the chrome fork in your bottom picture.  Take the black cap off, use needle nose pliers to pull off the "spider" (metal plate that connects all the terminals together) and clean up any corrosion.  Dielectric grease and reassemble.

i haven't researched this in a long time, so I couldn't tell you which of the numerous grounding "spiders" is your problem, but I'd bet a paycheck it's one of them.  Very well documented on the FJRforum.com. 

I have some time this weekend to help you troubleshoot and I'm only a couple hours north.  I could swing on by and we can figure it out.  I'm pretty good at disassembling and reassembling a Gen II FJR. 

Edited by PhilD'oh!
  • Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

It starts and runs. How do you clean these connectors beside spray electric cleaner? After they are clean do I just grease them with dielectric grease and put them back together?

26 minutes ago, 2talltim said:

Order that gizmo that Tim links to there and get it second day air'd in...and take Phil up on his offer.  You will then see how to do it for next time.

4 minutes ago, PhilD'oh! said:

I have some time this weekend to help you troubleshoot and I'm only a couple hours north.  I could swing on by and we can figure it out.  I'm pretty good at disassembling and reassembling a Gen II FJR. 

Thanks for letting me know what a spider is. I hope that it is the one right there by the switch gear connectors. If I don't get it taken care of tomorrow, I would love to have your help! I would be happy to pay you for your time. If I don't get it fixed I won't be able to make the rally at the gap.

17 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

Thanks for letting me know what a spider is. I hope that it is the one right there by the switch gear connectors. If I don't get it taken care of tomorrow, I would love to have your help! I would be happy to pay you for your time. If I don't get it fixed I won't be able to make the rally at the gap.

You will be there, phil will do it, or i will or whaler will.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, hiro said:

So, a spider is a single-point ground? Is this the concept? Reduces the chance of voltage differences between spread-out ground points.

amps_chips_and_star_ground.jpg

That is it, dunno the exact reason. I think its just easier to buss them together and get a good ground. They are frequently the source of problems. My previous Kaw melted one once

4 minutes ago, hiro said:

So, a spider is a single-point ground? Is this the concept? Reduces the chance of voltage differences between spread-out ground points.

amps_chips_and_star_ground.jpg

Yep.  The FJR guys started calling them spiders because that's what they look like.  It's a metal plate with 6 legs that connect all the terminals together. 

Edit...I know, spiders have 8 legs, but that's what hey started calling them. 

Edited by PhilD'oh!
  • Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Howabusa said:

PM sent. 

http://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/66177-2006-electrical-problem.html

From what I have been reading that there are two different things that can cause these electrical issues on an FJR. One is spiders. Which are ground connections. Two are wiring harness connectors themselves. In the OP'S original post he said number 6. It is actually S6......a plug connector. A failing S6 produces the symptoms that he stated.  If caught early before it actually burns to a crisp these connections can be cleaned and put back into service. Just spraying with contact cleaner is not good enough. A mechanical cleaning of sorts---scraping or a small jewelers file then a corrosion preventative compound applied. CAUTION WHEN USING CONTACT CLEANER. If using it on or around plastic and it does not say safe for use on plastic please put it back on the shelf and get the proper stuff. Trust me. I've seen guys ruin handle bar switches and other things by not using plastic safe cleaner. 

• Upvote 2