Electrical problem

Howabusa

15 hours ago, PhilD'oh! said:

I have an '09 FJR that I addressed this issue a long time ago.  I ran my own grounds for the fans because they are high load items.  Then I installed a "Brodie harness" that connects all the ground spiders together and adds two very good ground paths directly to the engine case.  That was over 100,000 miles ago and all-season riding.  No spider problems.  

For you, stop fooling around with the dielectric grease, it doesn't fix the problem.  Cut the bad terminal off and solder all 6 wires together along with another 18 ga wire that you can attach to the engine case somewhere.  You should also consider grounding the fans separately, like mine.  Better yet, just ride up to Toledo next week and I'll fix you up.  No charge. 

Don't tempt me! I used to live in Toledo. And I suck at electrical!

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2017 at 8:42 AM, Qman said:

Caution using solder:  There's a reason you dont see solder in most connections on cars/bikes.   Actually 3 reasons.  1. High current  can cause the solder to melt.  2. Its brittle, and doesn't like a lot of flexing.  3. Manufacturing efficiencies.  I suspect your "spider" ground to be a pretty high current point, so a good mechanical connection is likely better.  On the other hand, the good thing about solder, it normally increases the contact area by a huge amount.  

You are correct on all points.  However, in this particular instance, solder is a good option because it increases the contact area way more than the shitty terminal strip provides.  My preference would be a good mechanical connection, but an easy solution along those lines is no longer available, and I don't have the patience to track down the connectors and build an add-on harness, when soldering works very well here also.  It isn't really subject to the perils of flexing because it's a terminal end, except when we add an additional ground wire, but that's easily mitigated with intelligent routing and tying, plus it isn't running up the handle bars or down the forks where it'll be flexing constantly.  I'd bet a paycheck it'll never have enough resistance at the repair area to melt the solder, especially after we add another grounding path. 

On 8/16/2017 at 11:14 PM, Qman said:

Fix it, then apply dielectric grease!  Wont hurt!

The fixed area will be covered by adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.  No grease required and very waterproof...for the life of the bike. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, PhilD'oh! said:

The fixed area will be covered by adhesive lined heat shrink tubing.  No grease required and very waterproof...for the life of the bike. 

Is that true is multiple wires are connected together? Wouldn't there be little channels between the wires? (Overkill: Silicone the ends of the shrink tubing! heh)

My ground issue has been fixed, thanks to PhilD'oh! I rode up to his place and he fixed it, with a little help from me. We also figured out that the Yamaha recall for the S4 ground had already been done. 

Thanks Phil! It was a great day! Got my FJR fixed and met a fellow FJR rider!

• Upvote 1