High mileage BMW (car) maintenance

redkow97

Wife hates my car. Wants something nicer. Next time it needs a $500+ repair, I foresee it being up for sale. 

2 options:

1) I buy something nicer, but practical. Think 2010 civic Si 4-door, or if I'm being honest, probably not the Si model...

2) buy something older, higher mileage, but keep the corolla to drive all winter, and a day or two/week to keep miles off the 'nice' car, and leave the bike rack mounted, pull the XR, etc.

I am gravitating to 2004ish BMW 3 series, but would consider almost anything "classy."

part of me likes driving a beater. Another part of me understands where my wife is coming from and thinks, "I'm a fucking attorney - I should drive a nice car, damnit."

that said, a judge (who I respect a ton) drives a 2013 civic.  He also looks like the type of guy who wears a t-shirt during sex...

• Upvote 1

Also, I'm open to anything reasonably priced that looks classy. 

I found several Lincoln LS with 86k miles in the $3500-4500 range. 

Buying someone's grandpa's car isn't too out of the question. 

I will tell you that my boss's 2010 BMW was in the shop with $1000+ repairs needed about every month for the last 3 years. He just sold it and bought a Tesla. I think his mileage was around 100k at the end. 

Cant speak for how the car was maintained before he bought it though. He picked it up in 2013 I think. 

I commute 25,000 miles/year. New is not an option. I would have 110k on it before it's paid off. 

Under $10k (preferably under $7500) and manual transmission. Must last to 200k or beyond.  Economy is a big plus, but classy or sporty is a bonus. 

First gen Lexus IS, Acura RSX, 3 series, fully optioned civic, focus or fiesta high-trim models, Mazda 3, etc are all on my list of options. I just want to steer clear of lemons like the Mini Cooper. 

Wife is pickier than I am on looks. I would enjoy a Miata. She says it's a "Barbie car."

see if you can find a Passat TDi or jetta or golf.  nice cars, great fuel economy, rock solid engine.  destroys the earth and kills babies, but shiiiieeeet 60mpg sonnnnn

I know noone here is a domestic fan but all the late model impalas are real nice and very reliable wife has 200k almost zero maintinance miles on her 2007 and there re ton of them out there for good prices and low miles. 

I've been very happy with my Honda Accord V6 Coupe. It's fun to drive. Got 34.5 MPG on a trip to Cincinnati. You can find them in Manual transmission. I also liked my 2011 Chevy Cruze. Great gas mileage, leather seats were great.

V6 Accord Coupe would be fun.  Probably overkill, honestly.  It's good to hear that the V6 will get over 30 on highway trips though.

Right now, my wife's SUV feels pretty damn fast after driving the corolla 500 miles/week.   It even gets decent fuel economy for its size (25.4 mpg over the 3200 miles we logged to Florida and back, plus plenty of in-town driving while we were there.  The AC was on 95% of those miles)

I will probably end up with a newer 4-door civic with a 6 speed...  It's just hard to find well-optioned cars with a manual transmission, unless you jump up in price and performance to Mustangs and 350Zs.

11 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

It's just hard to find well-optioned cars with a manual transmission, unless you jump up in price and performance to Mustangs and 350Zs.

VW GTI.... 6-speed manual and well optioned, plus 4 doors, unlike those mustangs and 350s.  :D

• Upvote 1

The turbo makes me nervous.  I knew a guy who kept killing turbos in his GTI.  My brother also had one for several years.  Sold it relatively recently.  I'll have to ask him how it did...

4 minutes ago, redkow97 said:

The turbo makes me nervous.  I knew a guy who kept killing turbos in his GTI.  My brother also had one for several years.  Sold it relatively recently.  I'll have to ask him how it did...

Was his GTI stock or did he have a tune or something done to it?  Granted I bought mine new, but have had it for a little more than 2 years without any issues.  I'd love to flash a tune on the ECU but am hesitant to do so because I can't afford to void my warranty. 

It was a guy I went to law school with.  I couldn't tell you, but he seemed like a "stock" guy.

I emailed my brother to ask if his had any issues, and what kind of mileage he got in real world driving.  Not sure the wife will think the GTI looks good though.

7 minutes ago, Tonik said:

Tell your wife that what looks good is a big fat balance in the savings account!!

for sure.  I am just mildly worried that something major will fail on the corolla, and i'm going to be forced into a short timeline to replace it.  Trying to have us both settled nad happy with a particular make and model.  Then even if we can't find a great deal on that car, we'll at least end up with something we both like.

I would prefer to buy a 'new' car as soon as hers is paid off, and just keep the corolla around as a 'spare' to beat on.  Hell, I hooked a sheet of plywood to it and "plowed" my driveway at our old house!

3 hours ago, redkow97 said:

Hell, I hooked a sheet of plywood to it and "plowed" my driveway at our old house!

I just laughed out loud at the thought of this. That is definitely something I would do. As Justin said we need pictures. 

7 hours ago, redkow97 said:

It was a guy I went to law school with.  I couldn't tell you, but he seemed like a "stock" guy.

I emailed my brother to ask if his had any issues, and what kind of mileage he got in real world driving.  Not sure the wife will think the GTI looks good though.

I average about 31mpg with varied driving between city & highway, and I'm not usually driving gently either.  I don't think you can beat the interior of most any VW, imo.

Good luck with your search.

And PLEASE provide pics of the Corolla plow truck!!! ?

we had a 2010 gti.  it was fine.  fun to drive, and pretty reliable.  bought it certified preowned with 20K miles, sold it at 110K miles.  TDI golf or jetta or passat with your commute is still the better choice if you're going VW.

althougggghhhh, a bmw 335D would be bad ass if you could find one for cheap.

i'm a fan of diesels.

If you want dead nuts cheap and freaking reliable.... Look at an 08-11 focus. I have 2011 manual 5 speed and absolutely beat the crap out of it and it's lasted 125k now with very minor issue. There is no single part on that thing that cost over 20 bucks. I once walked away from a complete engine n tranny deal, guy was asking 300 bucks.... Still kicken my self for not buying it. 

Now put the with in a new focus back in 2014, and I have not been impressed. But never the less, still an ok car, but steer clear of the 3rd generation autos, the dual clutch ones are plagued with issues. 

IMG_20130602_091005.jpg