Marine Checking In

gdcpony

Hello, all! Veteran rider, safety guy and super experienced at accidents (deer and trucks love me!). I am over 500k miles into riding. I have been on cruisers, sport bikes, and now ride mostly my DL650. My daughters both ride and this summer the Dragon's Tail is on our to do list. Glad to be here as I need help with something right off the bat.

I need my XV250 inspected after a deer hit. I didn't replace much; Handle bars, head light, and front master cylinder. Also put new tires on her. Need to get her inspected for my younger daughter. Any ideas as I am getting push back on it.

Welcome to the OR sh-t show.  I'm guessing from your post that this wasn't an insurance job.  So in that spirit, I'd hazard an uneducated guess that a deer strike, assuming the the bike didn't go down and slide/spin/roll, isn't gonna do much structural damage.  Prolly all that's needed is cosmetic/plastic repair that you have already done and move along.  That being said, it sounds like the bike will belong to your daughter.  It would be a wise father who invests perhaps a bit more money than normal to ensure his daughter's safety while riding.  I'd take it to a reputable dealer and have an inspection done.  O just trade it in on something newer and undamaged and eat the financial loss....IJS

The push back was on receipts. they want VIN numbers and receipts on parts that I had hanging on the wall prior to or were bought already as i was planning on upgrading the bike. Things like the grip heaters, master cylinder (heck i still have a couple universal ones laying around), the headlight, and a pair or flatter handle bars. I tried explaining that this was the 3rd of this bike I have owned and parts just accumulate.

The bike is a 2009 Vstar 250 that still only has about 5k miles on it. You would never know it was wrecked. (though the grip heater wires still need tucked away)

Bubba, the deer managed to get its head in front of the headlight while I was doing 30ish. The damage was saved in large part due to the cushion the bike had going down the road on top of me. The exhaust was scuffed, the tank has a dime sized dent in it, the head light and mount were bent, and the handle bars and master cylinder were trashed. Killed the deer which I enjoyed cooking up. I went through it pretty well and have test rode it as well. I checked the forks out and even gave the entire thing every bit of maintenance I can think of. 

As far as getting rid of it and eating the loss, the bike- like all my vehicles- was fully covered. I paid $1800 for it. The insurance totaled it over cosmetic damages (new tank $400, new exhaust $350, ect) that for a first bike I am not concerned with. Since I had all the pieces I figured I would throw them on, get and inspection and call it a day. The insurance paid me $800 more than I had in the bike so I could junk it for no loss. However that would be such a waste of a good bike. Oh well, maybe someone out there could use it. I will throw a $500 sign on it and see of it sells before I move. I am sure someone can get a lot of use out of her. Here she is on the day she was wrecked.

A Fellow Marine was making jokes about how he fit on the bike.

16003310_1349665675084544_75459494844336

7 minutes ago, Rich B said:

Sherrodsville? There goes the 'hood. Definitely plenty of deer and trucks around there to have unnatural interaction with them.

Welcome.

Stone Creek? I used to tear up the roads around there years ago. I live by Atwood Lake and this happens to me on Marine bases:

560124_532195533498233_1751092496_n.jpg?

In fact, that is where the headlight is from! lol.

Can't forget the others right?

2013 DL650

16708751_1382731295111315_18168159065618

2002 FZ1

15940724_1349686335082478_74354956661657

My oldest daughter's CBR250

16684156_1382731268444651_85663748651865

And soon there will be a new addition as my sons comes of age in 3 years.

• Upvote 1