Cool piece of gear

Tpoppa

You'd think so...I've had several solar charger things like that and not one of them has been worth a crap at charging from the sun. Takes forever. I don't think solar cells have improved much recently...especially the lower cost ones that are in gadgets like these. Would love to see one that was worthwhile!

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Tpoppa said:

A full charge from the sun would take 3-4 days (or plugged in overnight).  That should be enough power to charge a phons at least 4 times.  Seems like it will keep up with my phone.

When you live in the Permacloud of Ohio, solar doesnt make much sense.  Better to charge a battery pack from a running bike  to have power available when it's not!

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Qman said:

When you live in the Permacloud of Ohio, solar doesnt make much sense.  Better to charge a battery pack from a running bike  to have power available when it's not!

It doesn't seem to need direct sunlight.  As long as there's daylight or your in a lighted room it's pretty much always charging.  Solar is listed as the backup charging method as it's not as fast as an outlet.

If it's got a pretty large battery capacity and you'll be off the grid for a good length of time where charging for several days is not an issue then it would be a good tool. I'd rather have it as a emergency backup than not have it. For $20, it's pretty much a no-brainer. You can barely buy a standalone battery backup for that much, much less a solar powered one.

The one I got is 10,000mah, there's also a 20,000 version.  My phone is about 1,500...so it's plenty.

Just throw it in the map pouch of a tank bag, or attach it to something like a top box and I think you'd be just fine. 

It's also has an LED flashlight and a compass.

Not the exact one I have, but close.

Edited by Tpoppa

Regarding solar...I just picked up one of these for motorcycle camping this summer...

https://luminaid.com/collections/solar-lights/products/luminaid-packlite-16

Seems pretty sweet with a decent amount of output, and packs very small.  havent tested the battery life as yet.

I can see the value with solar if I'm going to be without a power source for weeks or more, but I usually rely on my bike/truck/powerpack for my phone and gps charging.  But the solar pack would definitely be good for SHTF preparedness