What Virginia Tech learned about how and why we crash our motorcycles

Casper

I find it interesting that there is a higher percentage at hitting a pedestrian than being hit from behind by another vehicle. This study sure doesn't help those lobbying for filtering. I knew intersections were gonna be a big factor, and that seems to be my main area of concern when riding through towns.

17 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Beat myself up if I ever cross the center line... I consider it a large mistake because of the potential consequences. If I need more than 1 lane while street riding, I'm riding too fast.

Same here, if I cross double yellow going wide through a turn, something went wrong.

55 minutes ago, TimTheAzn said:

Beat myself up if I ever cross the center line... I consider it a large mistake because of the potential consequences. If I need more than 1 lane while street riding, I'm riding too fast.

Agreed. I'll use all of my lane, cause it's mine. But crossing the center means I screwed up somewhere setting up for the turn.

28 minutes ago, thompsonian said:

Agreed. I'll use all of my lane, cause it's mine. But crossing the center means I screwed up somewhere setting up for the turn.

Adding to this, I try to stay more towards the center of the lane on blind left hand turns and not get close to the center line. I don't want to be leaned into oncoming traffic... 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I would call it a "near crash" if crossing the centerline is not intentional. If you're running wide at the wrong moment... crash. If I built a riding simulator I'd call crossing the centerline a fatal crash. 

Agree, if unintentional, that's a problem.

5 hours ago, what said:

Adding to this, I try to stay more towards the center of the lane on blind left hand turns and not get close to the center line. I don't want to be leaned into oncoming traffic... 

I prefer right turns for this reason, you can use the whole lane on rights when there is 2 lane traffic, and not on lefts.

5 hours ago, thompsonian said:

There are legitimate reasons I cross center. I do it way, way more often in straights than in corners.

2 minutes ago, magley64 said:

I prefer right turns for this reason, you can use the whole lane on rights when there is 2 lane traffic, and not on lefts.

I've grown wary of mailboxes... lol. I've nearly hit my head a few times. 

• Upvote 2

On 5/24/2017 at 5:06 PM, what said:

I've grown wary of mailboxes... lol. I've nearly hit my head a few times. 

And trucks with towing mirrors sticking out 3 feet to the side.
At least you can duck under them.

• Upvote 1

On 5/24/2017 at 6:35 PM, Scorpion-Ninja said:

crossing the yellow line like this? :)

That was just yammie being a retard. The road they were on is a driveway/access road into a gated community in Austin with a 30 mph speed limit. Pretty stupid to be going that fast around a blind corner in the wrong lane on purpose, especially in a residential neighborhood. 

Edited by what