Turkey Dinner!

Lawrence1

Tagged this Gobbler last week city bois.

The two morning's I hunted this bird after finding him he would gobble at my calls then walk away. Hmmm, call shy, I needed a new plan.

Went back in the evening and set up near his roost area just back from a rise. Some crows flew in nearby with theirowdy raucous and I hit the gobble call one time. In less than 5 minutes he appeared at the top of the rise. He was in sneak mode though looking around and not displaying any colors on his head. With the leaves on it was somewhat dark in the woods and I couldn't tell for sure that he was not a hen. I held my fire while looking for some red as he started to peck at the ground. My heart was beating like a jackhammer when finally he stepped into a lttle more light and I could clearly see the red neck of a gobbler. As I raised my weapon for the shot he dipped back below the rise and disappeared, my heart sank as I lost track of him. After a few minutes I double gobbled and that brought him right back up. This time he was displaying all of his white and blue. Umadbro? BAMMM! Dropped him!

When I went to the edge of the woods where the sunshine was for a pic I spotted acrossbow bolt stuck in a tree and decided that is where I would hang him.
22lbs, 10" beard, 1" spurs. Rem 1187sp, Hastings .665 ext. choke tube, Winchester XR #5 shot.

0515172007a.jpg

• Upvote 1