Nicky Hayden Bicycle Accident

Qman

13 minutes ago, Danimal said:

No offense intended Quinn, but I never understood people's infatuation with famous people.

Why is this ANY more important than news of ANY person being struck by a car while bicycling?

Honestly, I'd be far more concerned if I learned that you were the victim.

Nicky is the only American on the world stage as far as motorcycle racing goes - a pretty big blow to fans of his. I've met his dad and they still seem to be pretty down to earth people despite all of the accomplishments within the family. Hoping Nicky makes it through this ok. 

Either way, it has relevance to this forum because;

1. It's Motorcycle-related

2. Nicky is from next-door Kentucky

3. It still freaking sucks.

4. As What said above, the USA is poorly represented on the roadracing stage, with the other possible exception of PJ Jacobsen.

5. Nicky supported some good local causes/charities.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, Danimal said:

That's my point Andy...being a "fan" of famous people.

While I certainly enjoy some sports, movies, music, etc...I never really understood idolatry

If someone had a promising racing career and I enjoyed watching them progress/compete, I would be concerned if they were involved in a career-ending accident no matter if they were famous or not. Just like I'd be concerned if someone on this board were involved in a serious accident. Nicky personifies the way a lot of us on this forum probably would like to live their life if all dreams came true - riding motorcycles all over the world for work. People look up to and respect him for his accomplishments and can identify with him because of his Kentucky blue-collar family background. It's just a shitty thing to happen to anyone in the motorcycling community. 

• Upvote 2

didn't see this posted anywhere on the forum.  read the link in the story. (italian news site) you'll need google translate etc to read it.  but it's not sounding too good for him.  he has serious brain damage they're saying.  prayers to nicky and his family.  

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/world-superbike-nicky-hayden-hospitalized-after-being-hit-by-a-car-while-riding-his-bicycle-in-san-marino/

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/nicky-hayden-earl-hayden-decries-fake-news/

From Earl Hayden:

The family HAS NOT issued a statement that Nicky is dead. 

Nicky IS NOT dead, although he is on life support.

Nicky was riding his bicycle alone, NOT in a group of 14 riders.

Doctors DID NOT perform surgery on Nicky.

Nicky WAS NEVER in an induced coma.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, blue03636 said:

That's part of the fake crap that Earl is talking about in Casper's post.

I was going for the 'we don't know if Casper's sources are any better than mine' angle.

• Downvote 3

On 5/17/2017 at 11:32 PM, Isaac's Papa said:

Not a freak accident. He was probably t-boned by that driver. Statistically speaking, the most common collisions are cyclists hit from behind. Second is a perpendicular collision from turning into the cyclist. 

These are American stats. Probably the same in Italy, but I don't really know for sure. 

In Italy do they drive on the American side of the road? In England there have been incidents in which people looked the wrong way before trying to cross a street.

I was a bit overloaded trying to drive a manual motorcar on the opposite side. A few times I smacked my shifting hand into the door panel. And round-abouts are clockwise.

7 hours ago, hiro said:

In Italy do they drive on the American side of the road? In England there have been incidents in which people looked the wrong way before trying to cross a street.

I was a bit overloaded trying to drive a manual motorcar on the opposite side. A few times I smacked my shifting hand into the door panel. And round-abouts are clockwise.

The UK is the only place in Europe that drives on the wrong side of the road, as far as I know.