test rides

Tstang429

Not sure best place to put this so ill go with off topic. I am looking at getting a newer bike been kiciking it around a while. This will be my first time buying a bike at a dealer and no just cash sale off someone i know. Are there any dealers that let you do even just a parking lot test ride. The few places I have been are firm no test rides. How do you by a bike with out getting a little seat time. I am between two bike and they are two completly different classes of bikes. Not looking at sport bikes. I am endorsed been for 5 years now.

I am on the edge of staying cruiser or looking for adventure touring. I am in love with look and feel of the vulcan s. But also looking at the versys and n700x. My biggest thing is without trying a few i am truly not sure which way i want to go. I do a lot of day rides on my days off. I also take 2-3 trips a year for 4 days of riding with my best friend in northern Michigan.

10 hours ago, Tstang429 said:

Not sure best place to put this so ill go with off topic. I am looking at getting a newer bike been kiciking it around a while. This will be my first time buying a bike at a dealer and no just cash sale off someone i know. Are there any dealers that let you do even just a parking lot test ride. The few places I have been are firm no test rides. How do you by a bike with out getting a little seat time. I am between two bike and they are two completly different classes of bikes. Not looking at sport bikes. I am endorsed been for 5 years now.

What you are looking for are called 'Demo Days'.  The factories bring in a trailer full of bikes to a dealer...you sign up and ride.  Some dealers will allow test rides, but as you are finding they are few and far between.

I hate to admit it, but Tonik is correct. Dealers a adverse to allowing bike demos due to liability issues. The cycle manufacturers have demo days and here is the link to Yamaha's, there are two in Ohio this year, Springfield June 16 & 17 and Cincinnati June 23 & 24. Here is a link:

https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/motorsports/yamahaevents  

11 minutes ago, motocat12 said:

^state8 6/9-10 

Yea, State 8 has a lot of them.

OP mentioned he was interested in the Kaw cruisers. Those are really hard to come by, they don't run demo trucks much anymore.  They have a shopping tool that says Rousch and State 8 allow demo's.  But I know for a fact Rousch does not.

https://www.kawasaki.com/shoppingtools/selectdealer/Motorcycle

13 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

I love that. Spend $12k on this bike that you can't ride first. :lol: 

I won't buy anything I can't ride first. Won't ever happen. They can blow me.

• Upvote 2

yea my issue i ran into is i loved the Kawasaki but there's so few Kawasaki demo days around. and Tonik i feel the same way you do. I will not buy something if i cant ride it. Reading some older post people said iron pony allowed some rides. Does anyone know if they still do. I am willing to ride an hour out to try out at least a n700x.

And yea both state 8 and roush are marked on Kawasaki sight as having demo bikes for test rides but they do not do that. I talked to state 8 and actually was told well come in and you can sit on one and see how it feels. I died laughing I dont plan on sitting on it in the garage. I love going for rides of 200 miles when i am off work. I loved the cruiser and own an older one but starting to think i want a bike more designed for longer rides. I am not getting younger.

Speaking of Demo rides....anyone had a chance to demo a Motus?  I see they now have them at Northern Ohio dealer in Akron, as well as MotOhio out of Columbus.  Looks pretty sweet on paper!  Not sure it's $30K sweet, but sweet nonetheless.

http://www.northernohioducatiandtriumph.com/inventory/v1/Current/Motus/Motorcycle/Motorcycles/2017-MST/Base--Akron-Ohio---4982761

26 minutes ago, Tstang429 said:

yea my issue i ran into is i loved the Kawasaki but there's so few Kawasaki demo days around. and Tonik i feel the same way you do. I will not buy something if i cant ride it. Reading some older post people said iron pony allowed some rides. Does anyone know if they still do. I am willing to ride an hour out to try out at least a n700x.

And yea both state 8 and roush are marked on Kawasaki sight as having demo bikes for test rides but they do not do that. I talked to state 8 and actually was told well come in and you can sit on one and see how it feels. I died laughing I dont plan on sitting on it in the garage. I love going for rides of 200 miles when i am off work. I loved the cruiser and own an older one but starting to think i want a bike more designed for longer rides. I am not getting younger.

Keep an eye on AMA's Vintage Days event at Mid-Ohio.  That was the last place I saw a Kaw Demo truck.

http://www.amavintagemotorcycledays.com/

Honestly, all dealers should at least have a demo version of their more popular models. It's ludicrous to expect people to drop $10k+ on a new vehicle without being able to test it out first. Bikes are kinda like shoes, it may look great and you think it will fit 100% until you try it on and your toes are touching the end. 

• Upvote 1

Not being able to demo does suck. A guy I work with just dropped 28K not counting interest on an Indian bagger. I can definitely tell that he has reservations about his purchase. I did the Yamaha demo at state 8 and Hardings Park. HP route was a joke for the most part. No way I could/would have made a decision to drop 15K on a FJR1300 with that ride. State 8 was a lot better. Longer and more spirited. If you decide to do a Vintage Day demo. Be there at the crack of dawn to sign up and get a time slot. If you don't no ride for you. 

• Upvote 1

No one mentioned rentals yet. But good luck finding Kawasaki and Honda to rent locally. And might have a bit of travel to get to a rental. Example is EagleRiders rentals. Versys and NC700 are available... in Madrid Spain only.

Mid Ohio in MtVeron will allow some demo rides. Was told demo wasn't a problem. Now if you go in wanting to ride three different bikes it might be. If you have your list narrowed down to the vulcanS it would be worth checking them out. 

thanks killer kaw. and tonik. Ill keep an eye on vintage days. Harding cycle got back to me today about the nc700x they have. They said they dont have an issue about a test ride but want to know plan on payment. So may be worth a look. I wont run my credit just for a test though. Sad thing this is one thing that harley beats the metric world in. Almost all there dealers will let you come in and ride anything besides there exotic bikes. I dont mind if i have to go to a few different dealaers to try a few different bikes. I understand its not the same as a demo day where you can just hop on one after another. I just need to decide if i want to stay cruiser or change. I wish the progressive show was later in the year and they did some rides just like the auto show. Would be beneficial to all i think.

3 hours ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

Not being able to demo does suck. A guy I work with just dropped 28K not counting interest on an Indian bagger. I can definitely tell that he has reservations about his purchase. I did the Yamaha demo at state 8 and Hardings Park. HP route was a joke for the most part. No way I could/would have made a decision to drop 15K on a FJR1300 with that ride. State 8 was a lot better. Longer and more spirited. If you decide to do a Vintage Day demo. Be there at the crack of dawn to sign up and get a time slot. If you don't no ride for you. 

I am fairly certain that if given the chance to ride the FZ-07 before signing my name I would have sprung for the FZ-09 instead.  I got one heck of a deal at the beginning of December so it was a bit of an impulse/pissed at my wife purchase. Demo rides are a good thing if you can make it happen.  When I bought my GSXS the dealer let me take a quick spin.  PM me if you want the dealer name.  I don't want to pimp them since they aren't a sponsor.

Edited by Wojo72

55 minutes ago, Al Z. Heimer said:

I ended up getting a used FJR. Garage is pretty full. Wife says no more. ?

If you got rid of her she would take her car, thus more room. Just tossing the thought out there.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Isaac's Papa said:

If I walked into a dealership with my lid and jacket to test ride a bike, I'm test riding a bike. No way some twenty-something, pimple-faced, sideways-hat wearing cock gobbling motorcycle salesman is going to stop me. If they did, I'd take a shit right on the sales floor and dank whoolie the hell right out of there. 

I would pay to see that. A lot.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, Killer_kaw said:

Musta meant expensive 

I went exotic cause harleys in general are overpriced and expensive. Its there cvo line everything else they have for test rides. I even took a livewire out last year boy was that fun.

18 hours ago, Qman said:

Speaking of Demo rides....anyone had a chance to demo a Motus?  I see they now have them at Northern Ohio dealer in Akron, as well as MotOhio out of Columbus.  Looks pretty sweet on paper!  Not sure it's $30K sweet, but sweet nonetheless.

http://www.northernohioducatiandtriumph.com/inventory/v1/Current/Motus/Motorcycle/Motorcycles/2017-MST/Base--Akron-Ohio---4982761

Motus does have a demo truck, or at least did last year.  I rode the MSTR when they came to Motohio.  Its a really nice bike but also really expensive.  It is just outside of what I can afford without selling everything else so I ended up getting a Multistrada.

IMG_20160624_102124489.jpg

IMG_20160624_102144662_HDR.jpg

• Upvote 1