Danimal

The Wrong way around. My 2017 trip to the Smoky Mountains

4 hours ago, blue72beetle said:

Did you find the SV goat path?

Much worse. At least those rocks were dry lol. 

Dan I feel you on the planning takes away from the adventure. I have grown weary of using any electronics, or planning absolute routes when riding. When I first started motorcycling, all of the fun was in the adventure and exploration. We are too connected at our jobs and every other aspect of our lives to be connected when trying to enjoy something that is supposed to be a break from our daily grind.

good on you!

• Upvote 1

no spot activity yet......  Hmmm.

Found another great breakfast spot. Doodles Place on 50 in Augusta. They know how to cook bacon here. Crisp and still chewy. 

Today no route either. Gotta be in Baltimore by 6pm. Son has good seats to an Orioles game. GPS says 5 hrs by backroads. And that leaves a 3 hr cushion to wander

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Qman said:

no spot activity yet......  Hmmm.

Finally on!! ...some remote entertainment!

Am safe at Son's flat in Baltimore. Two hours early. Not a whole lot of options for wandering as you approach the coast. Yuuuge amount of projects as you come into town. Looking forward to seeing Spencer. 

5 minutes ago, Danimal said:

Am safe at Son's flat in Baltimore. Two hours early. Not a whole lot of options for wandering as you approach the coast. Yuuuge amount of projects as you come into town. Looking forward to seeing Spencer. 

There is a huge dirt bikes on the street hooligan scene in Baltimore. You should check it out!!

• Upvote 2

Already personally participated Jimbo. Was surrounded. They could not figure out what I was riding. I think several yelled at me asking me what it was. Music stayed on and head stayed forward. One wheelied as they moved ahead

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Danimal said:

They could not figure out what I was riding. I think several yelled at me asking me what it was.

It's pronounced Lic-ense Plate

• Upvote 3

Dan, If you are riding down thru Annapolis R2South is nice hit the Bay area on 261 Chesapeake Beach(I lived for 8 years) In 1999 I started the Beach Patrol in North Beach, MD. Solomon's Island Tiki Bar is nice to check out also.

Then R4south to the 301bridge into Va. all the way to VA. Beach

Have fun. see ya on the trail. B.

First night out in the Redverz tent last night at Shenandoah Natl Park. Beautiful.  cooked steak tips and fresh green beans. Sucks not being able to chill and eat in the tents vestibule. There's a bear warning out. No eating where you sleep. 

That which does not kill you makes you stronger 

except bears. Bears will kill you

tonight am at Tuggles Gap motel right on the BRP drinking beers with some dude from RI on a Harley. Hope to make it to BRP moto campground tomorrow

• Upvote 2

Crazy day today. Woke up to pissing rain. Forecast for LONG day's ride to the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground is more rain. So I decided to travel today with Jersey Mike from PA on his Hog to the High Country MC Campground, less than a four hour ride. 

Easy right? Except for the fog. Thickest fog I've ever ridden in bar non. Holy hell we nearly hit multiple wild turkeys. Was like this over 100 miles. Nerve wracking. 

Then close to the campground one took off flying right at me. Hit my left mirror so hard it broke the mirror off from the ram ball. Mirror struck my shoulder as I slowed to a stop. 

First mechanical issue of the trip. Lucky I wasn't hurt

• Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, Danimal said:

.....Then close to the campground one took off flying right at me. Hit my left mirror so hard it broke the mirror off from the ram ball. Mirror struck my shoulder as I slowed to a stop. 

First mechanical issue of the trip. Lucky I wasn't hurt

Yikes!   Ride like everyone ...and everything...is out to kill you!

I tip my hat to you Dan. Riding that much of the BRP would make me crazy. I do like the roads going up and down. Enjoy. I will turn my spot on this thursday.

14 minutes ago, B-Mac said:

I tip my hat to you Dan. Riding that much of the BRP would make me crazy. I do like the roads going up and down. Enjoy. I will turn my spot on this thursday.

BRP would be much nicer if the speed limits were up by 30mph. But the southern quarter is great at any speed for just the views!  Too bad its federal land and the fines can be really steep!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for mentioning the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. Staying there tonight.

IMG_20170606_171533.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, blue72beetle said:

Thanks for mentioning the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground. Staying there tonight.

IMG_20170606_171533.jpg

Where u riding with another vstrom? Or adventure type bike? 

So I didn't see Andy's post above about him staying at the BRP MC campground.

Arrived there around 6, set up camp, got groceries and beer and upon return, when lighting the communal campfire, who shows up but Andy.

Now sitting around with perhaps 12 people all sharing riding stories. A nice mixed group from all over. Subject is bears. I saw a biggy today. Will post pics later.

Overall an awesome trip so far. No agenda or route. Paid for two nights here. Plan on doing som SM500 tomorrow without any packs or luggage.

So should be around Fotana Thursday night. Maybe Friday night. 

Bmac...what's your SPOT page  link?

• Upvote 1

We have had some issues. First hour into the ride just over Star Mtn. I Snatch a power wheely over a small bridge and stripped the splines on my engine output shaft. At first I thought it was the countershaft sprocket but turned out to be the shaft splines. 14k miles on bike. This chain and sprocks have about 1200 miles. So over to Townsend, tn. Got a rental DR650 and just met up with the group in helen, ga.

One of the honda AT's got Squeezed of the side of a gravel road and droped down a 40ft embankment. All is good bike/rider ok.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=03xe5o5LTXIRG8TVKiCXVtInJtmCkTqqt

sorry to hear about your Stroms troubles B

My trip's over. 5 broken spokes on rear wheel. General concensus is that it's not safe to ride.

Shawn will trailer me and the bike as far north as Columbus tomorrow, and I'll baby it home from there.

Sucks when so much time goes into planning something like this, and it ends a week early.

What also sucks is that China is running REAL well. Been a blast until spokes started pinging,

(and yes, these are NOT stock wheels but rather expensive custom wheels that should hold up to about anything)

Andy,

Thanks for being so concerned. Maybe you and I can take the tire in the Element down to Ed's traler at the campground? Hes carrying my heavy stuff back to Ohio.

I'm down at the Ice cream store hanging out

Sorry to hear your trip ended early. 

Must be frustrating that the reason is an expensive aftermarket part you purchased to improve reliability :nono:

I hope Woody will at least warrantee the wheel. 

Dan, did you go by Vera's cabin? We rode by there on the way to the Cherohala and saw that it has a for sale sign on it now.